Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  91
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Air Intake Manifold upgrade - at what point is it really needed

1. Top Of Page | #31

User Info Menu

Re: Air Intake Manifold upgrade - at what point is it really needed

I discovered something with the SD enclosed filter. It was because it was sucking water through a seam. It shouldn't be doing that. That tells me there isn't enough inlet flow. Apparently an exposed filter with a good heat shield will accomplish the same thing. I also noticed most of the dirt would collect in one area. I removed the element from the housing and made a heat shield. My intake air temps didn't change one bit. As an engineer, I have an understanding of flows. It indicates the chamber is in a vacuum. Now the filter seems to collect the dirt all the way around. It's your call. Just my $.02.

You need the down pipe because you need to install the sensors for the engine to run right. You'll get codes too. Going right on the front of the turbo is a bad option.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

2. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #32
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

My filters have dirt evenly distributed. The trouble is, everything after the filter does, too.

4. Thanks Muskiebri thanked for this post
    Likes Muskiebri, walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #33

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinopkc View Post
    My filters have dirt evenly distributed. The trouble is, everything after the filter does, too.
    I "liked" your post, but I also hate it.

We've conducted dust removal efficiency tests on a number of popular aftermarket air filters. I can't post the results, but in general, most of them are pretty bad. Probably similar to the filter you had.

6. Likes Rhinopkc, walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #34

User Info Menu

I love how posts take turns and twists. No, I really do. It's like having a conversation with a group of friends. I starts somewhere and goes in a different direction. Sometimes it gets back to the beginning. Anyway, I have a S&B intake with a dry filter. Totally happy. I haven't noticed more dirt in the tube to the turbo, but I have noticed more dirt (and bugs) in the filter. 'Course that was last fall and I won't see green grass for a couple of months.

8. Thanks Muskiebri thanked for this post
    Likes Muskiebri, Power247, walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #35

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
    I love how posts take turns and twists. No, I really do. It's like having a conversation with a group of friends. I starts somewhere and goes in a different direction. Sometimes it gets back to the beginning. Anyway, I have a S&B intake with a dry filter. Totally happy. I haven't noticed more dirt in the tube to the turbo, but I have noticed more dirt (and bugs) in the filter. 'Course that was last fall and I won't see green grass for a couple of months.
    Ahhhhh.... Green grass.... I almost forgot what that looks like until you mentioned it. Wait, I shouldn't digress THAT far. That's a good point -> Keep your eye on the duct downstream of the filter. A very, very slight amount of very, very fine white talcum looking powder, after many, many miles (like 50k miles on the filter) is probably okay, but any amount that turns a white glove even a little brown, is bad, bad, bad. I'll see if I can find some pics of what looks "okay" and post them. @Rhinopkc already posted an example of what's REALLY bad. Way beyond what's permissible. That's enough dust to take a measurable amount of life out of a 6.7 If a heavy duty truck or bus customer showed us that pic and proved the filter was the cause, and had some engine issue like excessive oil consumption or increased blow-by flow rate, we'd very likely be paying for an engine rebuild.

2014 Laramie 2500 CCSB - DRD MM3 Tuning, H&S SX-E 66mm Turbo Kit (DRD Giveaway #2), RevMax VB, Goerend Low Stall Converter & Billet Input Shaft, CA625 Head Studs, Custom Offsets MKW M95 Wheels, Nitto 11.5x35-R20 Ridge Grapplers, Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrapped Rockers, Wrapped Bumpers & Grille, Thuren Springs & Swaybar, Phantom Sun Light Bar, Westin Rear Booster Pods, Retroshop HIDs & Fogs & Backup LEDs, Wireless Air Lift 5000, Flo-Pro 4" SST Exhaust, FTEDiesel 30" resonator, AMP Bed Step, Rebadged, Truxport Tonneau, Undercoated, Alpine Sub & Amp, and more. Matt 22:37, Proverbs 16:24

10. Likes Power247, walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #36

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Muskiebri View Post
    Ahhhhh.... Green grass.... I almost forgot what that looks like until you mentioned it. Wait, I shouldn't digress THAT far. That's a good point -> Keep your eye on the duct downstream of the filter. A very, very slight amount of very, very fine white talcum looking powder, after many, many miles (like 50k miles on the filter) is probably okay, but any amount that turns a white glove even a little brown, is bad, bad, bad. I'll see if I can find some pics of what looks "okay" and post them. @Rhinopkc already posted an example of what's REALLY bad. Way beyond what's permissible. That's enough dust to take a measurable amount of life out of a 6.7 If a heavy duty truck or bus customer showed us that pic and proved the filter was the cause, and had some engine issue like excessive oil consumption or increased blow-by flow rate, we'd very likely be paying for an engine rebuild.
    I think I've got a cousin that lives in Ft Atkinson. It's hard for some to understand, but I spend more $ on gas for my snowblower that I do for my lawnmower. I'm convince I don't mow grass, I mow green stuff that's mostly weeds. I tell people; 'We have two seasons, bugs and snow' As far as the filter is concerned, if I think if the dry isn't doing it's job, I'll try a wet one. They make both. I'm an old gas guy with not much experience with diesels, but I think the concept is the same. 'Cept for turbos. We didn't have turbos. "Turbos? We don't need no stinkin' turbos." Yeah, well, that's all changed.

12. Thanks Muskiebri thanked for this post
    Likes Muskiebri, Power247 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #37

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Muskiebri View Post
    I "liked" your post, but I also hate it.

We've conducted dust removal efficiency tests on a number of popular aftermarket air filters. I can't post the results, but in general, most of them are pretty bad. Probably similar to the filter you had.
    Excellent point

I remember seeing some results like that a year or 2 ago. Made me think I may put my factory filter back in. The only reason I haven't is because I do an annual house cleaning of the intake system. I never find anything collected in the chambers or on the turbine blades. My intake sensors are always clean too. Even the wipe test on the compressor blades comes clean. It's been actually better since I removed the filter enclosure. While my truck works and pleasure, it certainly doesn't see something like a farm or oil fields may produce for an environment. I'm fairly happy with what I have and there is no reason given for me to change it right now. So I leave it.

I have seen some nasty compressor blades behind a K & N. Spooky

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

14. Thanks Muskiebri thanked for this post
    Likes Muskiebri, Power247, Snow Dodge, walla2k5 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #38

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dodge View Post
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d96383103c.jpg I do not have a 67,I have a 59 with compound turbos when I put that monster ram on I did notice a difference,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maybe they work well on a 5.9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

16. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #39

User Info Menu

I just went with a cheap pusher for 200 bucks on my 5.9
    Attachment 6242

18. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #40

User Info Menu

Some great info guys, thank you for the education!

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234