Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Is the 68RFE fixable?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Is the 68RFE fixable?

Hello All,
    My 2011 3500 lost the transmission at 50000 miles. It is deleted and lost the trans. The stock converter seized up as well as loosing over drive. I had a trans tune from diesel power of texas and not givin them a bad rap. Got the trans rebuilt with the valve body upgrades, bonded separator plate, solenoid retainer plate upgrade, triple disc billet converter and bought a whole new MM3 tune from Ray at Double R Diesel. I know Rays tunes are excellent and he had to make a change to the trans tune and right now it works Awesome! My problem is that I no longer trust Chryslers 68RFE and they say it is a bigger failure than Fords 6.0. At this point I have $8000.00 in the trans and new tunes and everyone says the 68RFE cant be fixed. What do you all recommend for someone that just pulls an Heavy RV and does not race. Should I sell it or trust it. All my other Rams are the manual transmissions with no issues. Thanks!

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Is the 68RFE fixable?

Quote Originally Posted by Madmaxxjim View Post
    Hello All,
    My 2011 3500 lost the transmission at 50000 miles. It is deleted and lost the trans. The stock converter seized up as well as loosing over drive. I had a trans tune from diesel power of texas and not givin them a bad rap. Got the trans rebuilt with the valve body upgrades, bonded separator plate, solenoid retainer plate upgrade, triple disc billet converter and bought a whole new MM3 tune from Ray at Double R Diesel. I know Rays tunes are excellent and he had to make a change to the trans tune and right now it works Awesome! My problem is that I no longer trust Chryslers 68RFE and they say it is a bigger failure than Fords 6.0. At this point I have $8000.00 in the trans and new tunes and everyone says the 68RFE cant be fixed. What do you all recommend for someone that just pulls an Heavy RV and does not race. Should I sell it or trust it. All my other Rams are the manual transmissions with no issues. Thanks!
    I can't say the words but the first one is BULL

The dark side has a bunch of kids that abuse them and expect miricles.

The 2007.5's had some issues, but quickly fixed. They weren't made for daily hole shots at every stop light, or drag racing every night. The people that had problems abused them and like to complain, or blame someone else. In your case, you hinted it, the tune probably killed it. Good thing you went with @Double R Diesel.

Hear in the Force, where we have real drivers and level headed performers, we don't seem to have a great deal of problems. The ones that do, are usually high milers. I had an 08 and really beat that trans with allot of towing. Never burped. Come to think of it, I never lost a 48RE except for a piece of leafe spring puncturing the pan and going up into the shafts. Thing dropped dead in 50 feet or less. LOL

So if you're planning on beating it, it's going to leave you hanging eventually. But you sound like your gears mesh so I would say, you'll be fine. An occasional show off it will definitely take. The rumer mill is full of schtuff.

truckavitar.jpg

041.jpg

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Likes AKram2500 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Hello All,

If your in need of a built trans for towing i can set you up with an aftermarket one that will be much better then the oem for sure.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    If your in need of a built trans for towing i can set you up with an aftermarket one that will be much better then the oem for sure.
    Dude, I'm gonna smack you. . . . LOL The 68 is a good trans if you don't beat it up

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Hello All,
    My .02 is keep it and drive it- we both know you will not be able to recover the costs of the rebuild at this point. if for some reason it does blow up then throw a stock trans in it and sell it or sell it as is privately.

I would think with Rays tuning you should be in good shape. I’m curious- Did he seem like the trans the way it’s built will hold?

Like me others have said....drive like an adult most of the time and you’ll be fine.

I would keep an eye on temps because heat will kill it along with watching what gear/weight you are pulling since 5th and 6th seem to be the most prone to slip if anything.

Enjoy the truck! How many hp/tq are you about?

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Hey Tex,
    I believe the main cause is my torque converter seized up. It would actually bark the dualls when I went from park to drive and almost stall the diesel. I am guilty of showing off by hammer down to pass someone fast a time or 2. Now I still don't trust the ram. Cost me several thousands to get my truck towed as well as my 40 foot toyhauler pulled back. I leave the program at Tow #2 so not much hp gain. With no warning the truck went to neutral on a city highway then of course totally stopped. " Should have paid attention with the bark but thought the trans was learning. Ray suggested buying the Rev Max. Just disappointed that Chrysler sells their baddest Cummins then offers a transmission upgrade that is only available on a newer truck.

8. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Hello All,
    If the 68RFE is taken care of you shouldn’t have any problems I have 156,000 on mine and not one lick of a problem where in I had a 47RE on my 97 and killed it 3 times

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

10. Likes Power247, walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Hey Tex,
    I believe the main cause is my torque converter seized up. It would actually bark the dualls when I went from park to drive and almost stall the diesel. I am guilty of showing off by hammer down to pass someone fast a time or 2. Now I still don't trust the ram. Cost me several thousands to get my truck towed as well as my 40 foot toyhauler pulled back. I leave the program at Tow #2 so not much hp gain. With no warning the truck went to neutral on a city highway then of course totally stopped. " Should have paid attention with the bark but thought the trans was learning. Ray suggested buying the Rev Max. Just disappointed that Chrysler sells their baddest Cummins then offers a transmission upgrade that is only available on a newer truck.

Understood- sounds like as long as you put a decent converter in it then you should be in good shape

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

12. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

$8000 to rebuild an automatic? Good lord, you could have put in a brand new G56 and Valair dual disc clutch for $5000. The rest of the conversion stuff is usually available on eBay or at your local scrap yard. But thats just me, I hate a diesel with an automatic. I'm kind of an .

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

14. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Put over 328k on stock 68RFE before I changed it out and then it wasn t because of anything except the miles on it....

16. Likes Power247 liked this post