Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: Pulling when braking

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Pulling when braking

Hey guys, have a issue I’d like some of y’alls input on. Truck : 1989 W250, just had ; new rotors, calipers, master cylinder, booster, pads, flex lines to each front brake caliper, shoes, wheel cylinders, axle seals, drums turned, diff’s serviced, transfer case resealed & bearings replaced. All this done & now the truck yanks to the right under breaking. They have replaced the passenger side caliper twice, after the above work & had to deglaze the rotor. Still does the same thing, pulls to the right under breaking. It is intermittent now, as opposed to continuous, like it was at first, but still does it. It also just blew the right rear wheel cylinder, so now they had to replace it as well. I pull a cargo trailer every day with this truck for work & it’s of course magnified when pulling the trailer. So everything except the proportioning valve, the hard lines & the rear flex line to the axle have been replaced & these guys are stumped, I am also. Any ideas would be most appreciated!!! This is now a two month problem & I’m at my wits end!!! Thanks

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Pulling when braking

Quote Originally Posted by Joeyvco View Post
    Hey guys, have a issue I’d like some of y’alls input on. Truck : 1989 W250, just had ; new rotors, calipers, master cylinder, booster, pads, flex lines to each front brake caliper, shoes, wheel cylinders, axle seals, drums turned, diff’s serviced, transfer case resealed & bearings replaced. All this done & now the truck yanks to the right under breaking. They have replaced the passenger side caliper twice, after the above work & had to deglaze the rotor. Still does the same thing, pulls to the right under breaking. It is intermittent now, as opposed to continuous, like it was at first, but still does it. It also just blew the right rear wheel cylinder, so now they had to replace it as well. I pull a cargo trailer every day with this truck for work & it’s of course magnified when pulling the trailer. So everything except the proportioning valve, the hard lines & the rear flex line to the axle have been replaced & these guys are stumped, I am also. Any ideas would be most appreciated!!! This is now a two month problem & I’m at my wits end!!! Thanks
    Did they absolutely get all the air bled out of the system completely?
    You could have rust or some type of debris built up inside the metal lines and/or proportioning valve?
    How old/miles was on the brake fluid?
    Personally I would go ahead and replace everything else since you have just about changed out the whole brake system. Keep us posted what you find out friend.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Likes Power247, Dwelsh, david3gen liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Agreed with watersupply about air. Something you can try for your self without paying someone. Try gravity bleeding the entire system. Just take the cap off the reservoir and break loose all the bleedet screws and let it drain out just make sure you keep the mastercylinder full. And if your doing it and lets say the right front isnt draining like the others more than likely there is air in there. From my experience gravity bleeding works best also kinda serves as a brakr flush too. Just my 2 cents.

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    You could have rust or some type of debris built up inside the metal lines and/or proportioning valve?
    Personally I would go ahead and replace everything else since you have just about changed out the whole brake system. Keep us posted what you find out friend.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....
    Agrees with water supply go ahead and replace rest of lines the steel brake lines wear out just like everything else had the same problem with my 97 always pulling to the right had the steel lines replaced and stopped doing it

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Axle wrap up front?

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Ok, so the shop owner called me today & said they think it’s now the driver side caliper NOT engaging. Tomorrow they will replace both sides again, he sourced some “ premium “ calipers from somewhere else, said he looked at the ones they put on & they look like crap. He also said the wet right rear wheel was not a wheel cylinder like the desk guy told me, but the new seal they just put in. So they replaced that & he told them to do the bearing as well, cause the cage on the bearing looked worn. I don’t think it would be air still, simply because they have power bled them 4 times now. I would think more likely crap in the proportioning valve / lines myself, & have told them that a few times now. But, I’m a Systems & AC contractor, what do I know?? On that note, what valve from another truck works on these things? I have heard theres a GM one & I think a Ford one that will work, would like ur guys’s input on that also please. Thanks for your replies, much appreciated guys.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dwelsh View Post
    Agreed with watersupply about air. Something you can try for your self without paying someone. Try gravity bleeding the entire system. Just take the cap off the reservoir and break loose all the bleedet screws and let it drain out just make sure you keep the mastercylinder full. And if your doing it and lets say the right front isnt draining like the others more than likely there is air in there. From my experience gravity bleeding works best also kinda serves as a brakr flush too. Just my 2 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    Agrees with water supply go ahead and replace rest of lines the steel brake lines wear out just like everything else had the same problem with my 97 always pulling to the right had the steel lines replaced and stopped doing it
    Ok, so the shop owner called me today & said they think it’s now the driver side caliper NOT engaging. Tomorrow they will replace both sides again, he sourced some “ premium “ calipers from somewhere else, said he looked at the ones they put on & they look like crap. He also said the wet right rear wheel was not a wheel cylinder like the desk guy told me, but the new seal they just put in. So they replaced that & he told them to do the bearing as well, cause the cage on the bearing looked worn. I don’t think it would be air still, simply because they have power bled them 4 times now. I would think more likely crap in the proportioning valve / lines myself, & have told them that a few times now. But, I’m a Systems & AC contractor, what do I know?? On that note, what valve from another truck works on these things? I have heard theres a GM one & I think a Ford one that will work, would like ur guys’s input on that also please. Thanks for your replies, much appreciated guys.
    As I was attaching all those people to sayyyyy

You replaced the rubber lines on both sides? I can't see his work but the veteran membership will tell you. There are mechanics and then there are MECHANICS! I'm wondering if maybe he kinked a line when he changed the hose. Pretty strange for a caliper not to expand, new/rebuilt out of the box. If he pulls the hose off the caliper, and it doesn't drip any fluid, better get busy and look back.

Another thought is twisting the line at the fitting can block it too. The lines are common to stick to the compression nut

You have a setup like this? Drivers side.

heat.jpg

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

14. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    As I was attaching all those people to sayyyyy

You replaced the rubber lines on both sides? I can't see his work but the veteran membership will tell you. There are mechanics and then there are MECHANICS! I'm wondering if maybe he kinked a line when he changed the hose. Pretty strange for a caliper not to expand, new/rebuilt out of the box. If he pulls the hose off the caliper, and it doesn't drip any fluid, better get busy and look back.

Another thought is twisting the line at the fitting can block it too. The lines are common to stick to the compression nut

You have a setup like this? Drivers side.

heat.jpg
    You only get the service of the tech thats working on your stuff and thats anywhere. They very well could have 2 right hand calipers. Or just have yhem mixed up. Seen it happrn before But with that they would know when your bleeding the system. Unless they power bled the system because it was a pain to get the air out. @Joeyvco worn steering/ suspension components will amplify a brake pull also. Like a trac bar

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Hey, been out of town a bit. So here’s an update; yes they power bled it, twice! They also replaced both front calipers & flex lines AGAIN! They readjusted the rears & he is ordering new auto adjusters for rear, said they are crappy looking. He also wants to replace the Porportioning valve, but as you all know .... they don’t make em anymore!! So, what is an adequate replacement for the OEM one? All that being said, now the damn thing pulls to the LEFT! Thanks again, I need a beer ...

18. Likes watersupply189, Dwelsh liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Ok, I located a “ OEM style “ Proportioning valve from Carolina Classic Truck’s, if anyone is trying to locate a new, not remaned one. Will put this in, blow out the front “ T “ & flex lines, reconnect, power bleed again, & see what happens next. ??