Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  31
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 trucks-No EGR-smell antifreeze

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2 trucks-No EGR-smell antifreeze

On my 14 and 18 they both have the EGR deleted and smell a faint antifreeze smell when you get out of the truck. One had been done for 2 years and the other for a year. No antifreeze leaks to be found. No dripping, no low antifreeze levels. I’ve checked every connection and the water pumps. Nothing. They haven’t been replaced as the recall said to because the two that I did take in had the replacement water pumps fail within 6 months. Why the smell but no sign of a leak? Makes a man nervous when you use your truck for work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2 trucks-No EGR-smell antifreeze

On your 14 it's common for the plastic y-pipe to crack. It doesn't take much to get that smell.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TH-64 View Post
    On your 14 it's common for the plastic y-pipe to crack. It doesn't take much to get that smell.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I have not noticed this issue on my 13- I will say I have replaced the YPIPE at about 68k. If/when you need to replace it do yourself a favor and get a billet piece. They can be had for about $110

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

As stated, could be one of the two Y-Pipes or even the the 0-ring at the coolant bypass.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Found it on both. I can’t find a crack in the y pipe but it may be the o ring on the coolant bypass on the 14. On the 18-it’s a cab and chassis so I had to put that billet plug in the side of the block. I hope it’s just loose because if I have to take it out you lose like $200 worth of coolant. It’s kind of a crappy design because only one bolt hold the plug in but short of pulling the turbo you can’t take the other bolt out. It’s barely seeping but it’s enough to smell and see a drip every 30 minutes. Waiting for the truck to cool off so I can reach in there and check the bolt. I’m betting it’s that dang o-ring on the plug.

6. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Btw-is there a “best” egr delete for the cab and chassis? Because if someone makes one with a better lower plug I may need to get one of them.

8. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Well that sucks-it’s evidently the o-ring on that lower block plug on my c&c. I’m open to advice-I don’t wanna have to redo my redo if y’all know something I don’t. Better o-ring?Better plug? Anything.

10. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

check the overflow hose at the Rad Cap. small wire tie will fix it if it's leaking. When you shut down, the coolant expands and can leak out the nipple on its way to the overflow. Sometimes the overflow doesn't work like it should. Coolant goes out, but not back in. Prob is, you don't know it for months

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

12. Thanks easttxram thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

You got pictures of any of these places to check? I smell some coolant as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wkb1984 View Post
    You got pictures of any of these places to check? I smell some coolant as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The one on the cab and chassis is on the side of the block but the c&c kit is a different animal than the regular pickup kit. The one on my 2500 is next to that coolant stand pipe that comes up high above and next to where the egr was. I’ll try to post a picture tonight.

16. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast