Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Radiator flushing?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Radiator flushing?

@Canadiandiesel

Spencer I figured you'd be the best to answer this and the others will learn too.

03 3500 with Flexalite Electric fans

I've been doing some towing recently. The weather on those days has been in the low 70'sF and down. So not super hot. My manual electric fan over ride switch is bad so I can't tell if moving more air is helping. I ran the AC Sunday, it was 80*F and it was running hotter than usual. The core fins are clear of debri. It's getting up to 195* when it never used too. Normal with or without AC is usually 188 to 190. It's always been like that. 2 year old Stat seems to operating normally. End of history

The question is: Are these Aluminum rads flushable? I was thinking of back flushing it with the 75 PSI water pressure I have, but don't know if it will do anything. What do you think?

I'm used to the old copper Mopar rads with vertical tubes. These plastic tanks and crimped cores. .. . . I dunno. I'm doing a major PM on Friday and Saturday I am changing the evaporator and heater core. At the same time I am changing the coolant and flushing out the block.

Appreciate your help

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Radiator flushing?

For those of you interested in this, I've gotten some info for these aluminum radiators.

I was told by another friend, who is a shop foreman, this is a common problem. In most cases it can be fixed easily with a household product called CLR. Home Cheapo, super Market carry it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009EFEX...QCMCOEUR&psc=1

Put the whole bottle in, run for 15 minutes and flush. New antifreeze

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Thanks Cummins7, IGOTACUMMINS, Weeseven thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Update

Spencer is out of town so. . . .

I did the flush yesterday. Took the truck down for a major PM, hoses, rad flush, oil, air, you know, clean the MAP and install my turbo timer. When I was warming the truck up, on a fast idle, for the flush, it reached 192*. During the flush it stayed there, I never thought to look when shutting down. Same 1500 RPM. Rinsed the system out and filled it with fresh antifreeze and I can't seem to get it up to full temp, That after 15 minutes at 1500 RPM. wouldn't break 187* There was some debri in the pan, I would have expected more. So I guess it worked. I'll know after I drive it tomorrow

5. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Good info for future repairs.
    Had those in oriential vehicles before and had no issue with the cooling with them.

But when servicing those foreign vehicles, had no problems with just the standard flush.

Ya didn't say, but did ya pull the thermostat when doing the flush ?

Wonder where the trash came from.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I took the stat out to flush the CLR out. You can't run it without a stat for lack of a gasket. Who knows where the crap came from. Black flecks. The cooling system had no rust, the iron was a nice natural color inside

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

FYI ...I took an old stat, gut the insides and kept the old gasket, use it everytime I flush the system to have a full flow of water. Then when done, put a good stat back in.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

8. Likes Weeseven liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    FYI ...I took an old stat, gut the insides and kept the old gasket, use it everytime I flush the system to have a full flow of water. Then when done, put a good stat back in.
    That's a good idea appreciate the info bud

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

10. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

The trick is you need an old stat, I suppose I could have rtv'd the flange. But I think i got what I wanted done. I'll know when it warms up again

There is a trick to help keep the rad open. It will also continue the cleaning process. Put an ounce of Dawn in the rad. The antifreeze will prevent sudsing. It works great in the old copper rads.

11. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    The trick is you need an old stat, I suppose I could have rtv'd the flange. But I think i got what I wanted done. I'll know when it warms up again

There is a trick to help keep the rad open. It will also continue the cleaning process. Put an ounce of Dawn in the rad. The antifreeze will prevent sudsing. It works great in the old copper rads.

Call me an opportunist. Happen getting a used one when shopping for a part at NAPA. A guy was buying a new Stant for his truck and chucked his old one away. (Some change it every flush) I grabbed it .. Still have my original and it's working fine. Gut the old one and keep it in my 'Parts I Have To Save Bin'. (Ok, maybe not and opportunist, maybe call me cheap, but I still have it) and will until I die or sell my truck.

Jim

12. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Call me an opportunist. Happen getting a used one when shopping for a part at NAPA. A guy was buying a new Stant for his truck and chucked his old one away. (Some change it every flush) I grabbed it .. Still have my original and it's working fine. Gut the old one and keep it in my 'Parts I Have To Save Bin'. (Ok, maybe not and opportunist, maybe call me cheap, but I still have it) and will until I die or sell my truck.
    @F350Cummins will tell you about my garage. I keep all the hard to get stuff and so much of those nuisance items that tie up a project. I even have a honed out pinion bearing to set pinion depth with. And you expect me to keep a lowly little thermostat? LOL I do have a new thermostat for my 62 Chrysler 413 though.