Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange Clutch Noise

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Strange Clutch Noise

G56 with a Sound Bend SDD3250

I recently developed a clutch noise as the clutch is engaging. It makes a metal on metal grunt. Only does it when taking off from a dead stop and not when making a rolling takeoff or between shift engagement It does not make the noise in 1st...even when towing my 8k trailer...only in 2nd. I did pop it in third from a dead stop as a test and it started to make the same sound. Clutch doesn't slip one bit when engaged. It doesn't make any noise when fully engaged or disengaged, so I'm not suspecting a bad pilot or input shaft bearing.

I'll be dropping the tranny here soon to inspect...just wanted some opinions before I tear into it in case I need to pre order parts.

Phone mic didn't pick up the noise real well, but listen towards the beginning and you can faintly hear the noise.

2015 Ram 3500 CCSB SRW 4x4 G56
    2020 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4 68RFE

Never ending project. Always adding something...

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Strange Clutch Noise

I have to hear it with my ear. What happens when you use 3rd of 4th?

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    I have to hear it with my ear. What happens when you use 3rd of 4th?
    Here is a 3rd gear takeoff. You can hear it a little better in this video.

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I'm kind of leaning toward a bad spring. Either the pressure plate (which will wipe out your throw out bearing) or damper spring on the disc. Is it common for you to start out in that high of a gear? Lugging the drivetrain has been known to be hard on damper springs, at least with some clutches.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

So the noise goes away when the clutch pedal is completely out? In other words, it's only doing it when the clutch is partially engaged under stress? What happens when you skip a couple of gears and let the clutch out slowly while rolling?

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by walla2k5 View Post
    I'm kind of leaning toward a bad spring. Either the pressure plate (which will wipe out your throw out bearing) or damper spring on the disc. Is it common for you to start out in that high of a gear? Lugging the drivetrain has been known to be hard on damper springs, at least with some clutches.
    I start out in 2nd all the time. The 3rd gear takeoff was just to accentuate the noise so it could be heard...I never take off from a dead stop in 3rd. Thanks for the spring suggestion....Clutch is still under warranty...I should contact South Bend to see what they think

7. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    So the noise goes away when the clutch pedal is completely out? In other words, it's only doing it when the clutch is partially engaged under stress? What happens when you skip a couple of gears and let the clutch out slowly while rolling?
    Right. It only makes noise as the clutch is engaging. If I were to skip a couple gears, it would make the noise if enough stress was put on the clutch.

9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OneTon View Post
    I start out in 2nd all the time. The 3rd gear takeoff was just to accentuate the noise so it could be heard...I never take off from a dead stop in 3rd. Thanks for the spring suggestion....Clutch is still under warranty...I should contact South Bend to see what they think
    That would probably be a good idea. I'm only referencing from my own experiences.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

10. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

You're going to have to take down the inspection cover and check for debris. I suspect you lost a clutch pad section, or a spring. You'd notice a slight vibration. It could be the throwout bearing if there's no vibrations. Last clutch I did was on a 500 hp 99.

11. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OneTon View Post
    Right. It only makes noise as the clutch is engaging. If I were to skip a couple gears, it would make the noise if enough stress was put on the clutch.
    Did you ever get to the bottom this @OneTon?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast