Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Rear Differential

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Rear Differential

Went to check my rear differential fluid and on checking magnetic plug found what looks like a gray sludge or sealant on the end of my plug. See picture. What is this? I see no metal shavings on plug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Rear Differential

Quote Originally Posted by bobby.bettinger View Post
    Went to check my rear differential fluid and on checking magnetic plug found what looks like a gray sludge or sealant on the end of my plug. See picture. What is this? I see no metal shavings on plug https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0e98c945dd.jpg

Not sure- I’m sure someone will chime in. How many miles on it? How’d fluid look?

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Not sure- I’m sure someone will chime in. How many miles on it? How’d fluid look?
    I just checked the level. The oil on my finger was a light brown. It’s a 2014 with 74,000 miles with the 68RFE transmission.

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Very, very, very fine metal particles. Looks about what mine did at 32k miles. Was your fluid clear or milky?

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItCummins View Post
    Very, very, very fine metal particles. Looks about what mine did at 32k miles. Was your fluid clear or milky?
    I haven’t changed it yet. Just checked to make sure the level of oil was good. The oil on my finger was a light brownish. I bought the truck used. Has 74,000 miles on it. I believe it has never been changed.

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Probably worth while to change if you think it is the original fluid. Will get all the junk out from break in, allow you to scrape out any sediments in the bottom of the diff and do a visual inspection of the gears. Cheap insurance and you probably wont have to change for a long time.

7. Likes SyN liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItCummins View Post
    Probably worth while to change if you think it is the original fluid. Will get all the junk out from break in, allow you to scrape out any sediments in the bottom of the diff and do a visual inspection of the gears. Cheap insurance and you probably wont have to change for a long time.
    Agreed if oils never been changed I would definitely change it

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

9. Likes SyN liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Looks like most/all of the break-in wear metals that has been collected onto that little magnet.

I drained the FF on my new 2017 @ 2K miles after our first 326 mile towing adventure (11K lb) enclosed trailer.
    I could defiantly see some very very fine shiny particles within the drained oil.

Replacement was Red Line with the stock cover.
    AAM still needs to incorporate a simple drain plug in their rear ends!

Next service @ 20K miles - I'm Going to install a PML rear cover which has a drain plug for easy service due to our future towing adventures.

Afterwards every 40K miles I will perform a rear end oil service.
    Due to the towing of the 5th Wheel during the summer months.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

11. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Totally normal, fluid should be changed regularly especially if towing.

But what your seeing is normal gear wear as they break in, the magnet is there to keep it from circulating into the bearings also some fine chunks can be present from shavings inside the housing from the normal casting process!

Keep regular fluid maintenance to avoid seal leaks!

Your all good!