Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil Filtration

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Oil Filtration

Got a question. I installed a dual full flow oil filter system today. It sounded fine while idleing. Went to town, and now my truck has a constant whinning sound matching rpms's. Any clue to what this may be. I had added about 14 quarts in before it showed on the dipstick. 2014 dodge 2500 6.7

2. Top Of Page | #12
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

@ligon55

I would have like to see a picture of this set up.
    Either way, when you put on a system like this, there shouldn't be a difference in the sound, let alone that much.

As for the amount of oil:
    My old engine takes 12 quarts.
    The addition of an oil bypass system, with a large Amsoil eaBp100 filter takes plus/minus a quart extra and maybe a taste more.
    With the smaller Amsoil filter, eaBp90 it takes plus/minus 1/2 quart.
    So if your running a dual filter setup additional to your stock, then it might take roughly 2 extra quarts.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

3. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

I'll get pictures this evening after work. I also changed the fuel filter and water separator filter. When starting, I cycled key about 3 more times than manual stated. When starting it sounded rough, I turned it off and cycled the key a couple more time and then restarted and was fine after that. When I picked up my 8 year old daughter from gymnastic, I started the truck and that was the first thing she noticed was the noise. This morning on the way to work, the noise was still there. Before I leave work, I am going to double check oil level. The last time I changed fuel filters it did not sound that rough when starting.

4. Top Of Page | #14
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Changing the fuel filter will not effect the oil flow, pressure or level, unless something major was changed over the years.
    Only happens when you changed fuel filter ?
    Or when working on the oil system ?

If you get this with the fuel filter change, and you cycle the ignition enough to fill the filter, there shouldn't be a problem. In a short period of time, an air pocket should work itself out. If the new filter has / had a restriction of the flow, then this could cause a problem. But this would also have some loss of power added to this.

If it's when you change the oil and filters, you need to verify you have the proper oil pressure maintained when running. Even the idiot light not being on will inform you of pressure. If it's this, there should be something that indicated lack of flow/pressure. Like metal to metal knocking or something like that.

Anyone else have a idea ???

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

5. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

I did both yesterday. Added the Dual Oil Filter System, changed oil, changed the fuel filter along with the fuel water separator filter that is under the bed of truck in the rear. I am thinking that is possible that somehow it could have an air pocket in the system. This is my second time changing fluids/filters. I change my oil, oil filters, and fuel filters about every 5000 to 6000 miles. I have only had this truck 1 year and only have 11,000 miles on it from the time I bought it(57000 miles total). My check engine light was already on the last 3 days from the emissions system (nox sensor). All oil pressure and oil temps are fine. No other noises associated with not having enough oil like metal knocking. I am going to look and see if I can find fuel pressure on my evic panel after work. Thanks for the info.

6. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ligon55 View Post
    Got a question. I installed a dual full flow oil filter system today. It sounded fine while idleing. Went to town, and now my truck has a constant whinning sound matching rpms's. Any clue to what this may be. I had added about 14 quarts in before it showed on the dipstick. 2014 dodge 2500 6.7
    You sure it's not a turbo noise?

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ligon55 View Post
    I did both yesterday. Added the Dual Oil Filter System, changed oil, changed the fuel filter along with the fuel water separator filter that is under the bed of truck in the rear. I am thinking that is possible that somehow it could have an air pocket in the system. This is my second time changing fluids/filters. I change my oil, oil filters, and fuel filters about every 5000 to 6000 miles. I have only had this truck 1 year and only have 11,000 miles on it from the time I bought it(57000 miles total). My check engine light was already on the last 3 days from the emissions system (nox sensor). All oil pressure and oil temps are fine. No other noises associated with not having enough oil like metal knocking. I am going to look and see if I can find fuel pressure on my evic panel after work. Thanks for the info.
    Are you sure you don't have a line kinked? Make sure there isn't any chafing too. If in doubt, wrap the hoses.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    You sure it's not a turbo noise?
    Well after some more investigation, I can't for the life of me figure out this noise. It has gotten better or I am just used to it now. I had also cleaned my k&n air filter during all this work. And I am guessing it is the turbo. I never really could hear it before, so I did not really consider it as an option. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12