Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  64
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VGT Problems!!! rebuild or replace

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: VGT Problems!!! rebuild or replace

I had a problem on my 2008 that sounds a lot like what you’re describing. Lost the exhaust brake and the truck would smoke pretty good sometimes. It was fully deleted like yours too. Mine turned out not to be the turbo. It was a manifold pressure sensor on the right side, top front corner of the engine. Has a small line that runs from the exhaust manifold to the sensor. I replaced that sensor and everything went back to working like normal. If you’re turbo is gonna have to be rebuilt- I used a company called Majestic Turbo out of Waco, TX. Basically they sent me a rebuilt turbo and I sent them mine. A whole lot cheaper going that route for me. I’m actually thinking about putting a Fleece Cheetah turbo on my 2014 2500 but I need to beef up the transmission before I start adding too much more power adders. Good luck with you problem though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

thank you, ill check that out, i have some engine codes btw....
    P003A
    P006E
    P00Af

3. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chriswrex View Post
    thank you, ill check that out, i have some engine codes btw....
    P003A
    P006E
    P00Af
    All boost control module codes. Could be mechanical problem caused them or could be some sort of electrical issue. Bad plug, sensor etc. I hate these kind of problems. Like getting a gremlin in the engine and not being able to find it. One of the things I hate about all of the electronic controls on these new trucks. Times like this I miss the old 12 valve Cummins. Easy to find problems.

5. Likes walla2k5, watersupply189 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by easttxram View Post
    All boost control module codes. Could be mechanical problem caused them or could be some sort of electrical issue. Bad plug, sensor etc. I hate these kind of problems. Like getting a gremlin in the engine and not being able to find it. One of the things I hate about all of the electronic controls on these new trucks. Times like this I miss the old 12 valve Cummins. Easy to find problems.

i unplugged the exhaust pressure sensor and got no engine codes. on the raceme ultra i turned on the gauge for exhaust pressure, in the past i thought it read like 1 or 2 lbs when floored, but now its stays zero the entire time i drive. when i was removing the egr system a while back i think i damaged the pressure sensor, i remember being surprised it didn't give me any issues, this could cause my exhaust brake to stop working and the VGT to stop working essentially?

7. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

I busted the plastic on mine when I was replacing the water pump. I got against it and didn’t realize it had broke. I got one for around $15 on eBay. They’re around $300 at the stealership.

9. Likes walla2k5, watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #16
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

The 13+ trucks do not require a turbo or egr cleaning like the 10-12 trucks had. Just the replacement of the CCV filter. I doubt they did any more than what the maintenance schedule calls for when doing the 67,500 service.

11. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

am i correct tho, if on my raceme ultra im showing ZERO's on the exhaust pressure sensor, from idle to WOT, its safe to assume to pull the pressure sensor and see if its clogged up?

13. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chriswrex View Post
    am i correct tho, if on my raceme ultra im showing ZERO's on the exhaust pressure sensor, from idle to WOT, its safe to assume to pull the pressure sensor and see if its clogged up?
    This is what I replaced.
    Genos garage has them for $118 I think. If you replace it get it off eBay. Just make sure it’s a genuine Cummins part though. Don’t go to the dealership. It made a huge difference on mine. May not have anything to do with your problem. Search the top part number in the pic. That’s the Cummins number. Works on 07.5-18 models. Supposedly.

15. Likes walla2k5, watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

thank you, ill try a pressure sensor before a turbo swap for sure.

17. Likes walla2k5, watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

cleaned the sensor and the tube , and the best i could at the exhaust manifold hole as well. none of those engine codes said it was an exhaust pressure sensor, that has its own code i thought. now im unsure on whether or not to replace the turbo or see what other troubleshooting options are available

19. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast