Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  64
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VGT Problems!!! rebuild or replace

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

VGT Problems!!! rebuild or replace

Hello all!! i am new to this page, been visiting for the last year getting info on what upgrades work best with the 6.7 Cummins. So to give a little context, i have a 2013 Ram 3500 SRW with 120k miles, i had issues for the first 6 months with the def system , was at the dealership once or twice a month for the first 6 months, so about 6 months ago i did the egr delete, def system delete, used a 5" Flopro TBE with a resonator, S&B intake, CCV filter delete, throttle valve delete, tuned with Raceme Ultra with January 2018 firmware update.

about 5 days ago i was on the 60hp setting and went 50% throttle to get out into traffic and had little results so i floored it, and it was only getting to 20 psi, but when i looked in the mirror i had blown a HUGE cloud of soot. long story short my turbo actuator isnt working, which is probably because of soot build up in the turbo. so replacing the actuator will be a waste of time unless i rebuild or clean my turbo. so my question is this, do i go with the remanufactured turbo's i find on google search? one comes up for $1300, its for a 07.5-12 , i dont see them for the '13 for some reason.

i dont know if i should replace it or rebuild it. my wife should be going into labor any day now so money is tight, so i wont be able to afford an "upgrade" im looking for the cheapest option available to buy myself another couple years at least before considering going with a bigger turbo. i just want oem power, i want it to work with the ots tunes for the raceme ultra.

this brings me to one more thing, i turned on the "percentage VGT actual/desired" gauge on the raceme ultra and its showing 5% actual but neither ever change, im assuming this is because the turbo actuator is messed up. thanks, sorry for the book long post, just trying to answer questions before im asked, please help me out, where do i get an oem turbo for the cheapest possible deal, or should i rebuild it myself, if so where is the best priced kits? thanks everyone in advance.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: VGT Problems!!! rebuild or replace

Quote Originally Posted by chriswrex View Post
    Hello all!! i am new to this page, been visiting for the last year getting info on what upgrades work best with the 6.7 Cummins. So to give a little context, i have a 2013 Ram 3500 SRW with 120k miles, i had issues for the first 6 months with the def system , was at the dealership once or twice a month for the first 6 months, so about 6 months ago i did the egr delete, def system delete, used a 5" Flopro TBE with a resonator, S&B intake, CCV filter delete, throttle valve delete, tuned with Raceme Ultra with January 2018 firmware update.

about 5 days ago i was on the 60hp setting and went 50% throttle to get out into traffic and had little results so i floored it, and it was only getting to 20 psi, but when i looked in the mirror i had blown a HUGE cloud of soot. long story short my turbo actuator isnt working, which is probably because of soot build up in the turbo. so replacing the actuator will be a waste of time unless i rebuild or clean my turbo. so my question is this, do i go with the remanufactured turbo's i find on google search? one comes up for $1300, its for a 07.5-12 , i dont see them for the '13 for some reason.

i dont know if i should replace it or rebuild it. my wife should be going into labor any day now so money is tight, so i wont be able to afford an "upgrade" im looking for the cheapest option available to buy myself another couple years at least before considering going with a bigger turbo. i just want oem power, i want it to work with the ots tunes for the raceme ultra.

this brings me to one more thing, i turned on the "percentage VGT actual/desired" gauge on the raceme ultra and its showing 5% actual but neither ever change, im assuming this is because the turbo actuator is messed up. thanks, sorry for the book long post, just trying to answer questions before im asked, please help me out, where do i get an oem turbo for the cheapest possible deal, or should i rebuild it myself, if so where is the best priced kits? thanks everyone in advance.
    Sorry about your troubles, friend. I'm interested in the what folks say also, just in case I run into the same issue. Good luck!

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

i bought the truck with 98,xxx miles, when i asked to see the service records before signing the paperwork on the truck, the guy said, "we are going to do the 67,500 mile service on the truck since it wasnt done on time." i looked it up and that said cleaning the turbo and egr system was part of that, so , ASSUMING they didnt lie and did it correctly, the turbo was serviced 20k miles ago.

from what im seeing there is no cheap option other than rebuilding the turbo myself which ive never done. i was hoping to keep this repair less than $1500 if possible but its looking like that may not be possible...

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Anyone have any experience with this kit?

https://www.doublerdiesel.com/store/...-Kit-p50058664

'13 3500 4X4, S&B intake, 5" FloPro TBE, Raceme Ultra DRD tuned, BMP S366 Turbo Kit, Banks 3.5" intake elbow, Grid Heater Delete, CCV Filter Delete, EGR and DEF Delete (obviously),MagHytec deep Transmission pan, WeBoost (Wilson) 4GX-OTR cell phone booster, DeeZee 111 Gallon auxiliary tank with toolbox tethered to main tank, Ram Adjustable laptop mount, iBoard 4" running boards and some other stuff not as cool

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Looks like good upgrade, but you'll loose your exhaust brake.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Il'l check it out thanks. Right now I have no exhaust brake anyways..... which I miss, I used it all the time. what else would be needed with a kit like this?

Will my RaceME tunes that came with the raceme work with a turbo upgrade without having to get "custom" tunes made?

'13 3500 4X4, S&B intake, 5" FloPro TBE, Raceme Ultra DRD tuned, BMP S366 Turbo Kit, Banks 3.5" intake elbow, Grid Heater Delete, CCV Filter Delete, EGR and DEF Delete (obviously),MagHytec deep Transmission pan, WeBoost (Wilson) 4GX-OTR cell phone booster, DeeZee 111 Gallon auxiliary tank with toolbox tethered to main tank, Ram Adjustable laptop mount, iBoard 4" running boards and some other stuff not as cool

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I looked at the companies advertised on this page, at least 7 of their pages, and none of them had a kit below $2300.

I know you get what you pay for usually, just trying to get some input. Can't decide on the best option. I still haven't done the headstud kit yet.

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Il'l check it out thanks. Right now I have no exhaust brake anyways..... which I miss, I used it all the time. what else would be needed with a kit like this?

Will my RaceME tunes that came with the raceme work with a turbo upgrade without having to get "custom" tunes made?
    You'll need custom tuning for your RaceME Ultra with a new turbo.

*Ask about becoming a Lifetime Platinum Member Today*

"The grass is greener where you water it"

16. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTACUMMINS View Post
    You'll need custom tuning for your RaceME Ultra with a new turbo.

I looked up the pricing a while back, somewhere around $600 wasn't it? How many tunes can i get and are they all custom?

18. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I looked up the pricing a while back, somewhere around $600 wasn't it? How many tunes can i get and are they all custom?
    No clue. Who you looking to tune it?

"The grass is greener where you water it"

20. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast