Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Wiring RGB Rock Lights To Headlights

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Wiring RGB Rock Lights To Headlights

I'm wanting to wire my infinite Offroad RGB+W lights to where they come on when my headlights do as it's annoying having to go on my phone and try getting it to connect to the controller and it only working 1/5 times and I can only be a foot or two away from the controller. Is there a way to splice the headlight power into the control box to where they're always on when the headlights are and still be able to control the colors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes Power247 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Wiring RGB Rock Lights To Headlights

Do you have a wiring diagram?

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Wiring RGB Rock Lights To Headlights

Quote Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
    Do you have a wiring diagram?
    For the headlights or for the rock lights? If for the rock lights it's as simple as it gets, one positive and one negative lead to the battery then the control box then the connection to the lights. As for the headlights I do know where the power wire is as I've had to do some splicing there too. I'm thinking I'd have to bypass the control box for the lights to get them to have constant power but I'm just worried about being able to control them. If I spliced the headlight power wire to after the control box, I'm thinking that they would be on if the headlights were on but to control the colors I'd still have to turn the control box on then switch the colors. That may not be the case but I feel like that's what would occur. My main point is I'm trying not to short circuit the control box by adding external power to the lights and trying to use the control box at the same time

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Diodes can prevent back feeding power into the control box. I was asking about the wiring diagram for the rock lights. do you want to turn them on with the headlights and control them with the remote or turn the lights on to a single color with the headlights? The power can be taped at one of the headlights to turn on the system to turn on the lights. Turning on the system from the headlight would be simple, just tap into the headlight harness at the connector to the bulb. depending on the draw you may need to add a relay but LED rock lights should not draw much power depending on how many you are running. You would still use the controller to change colors. I have been thinking about adding some rock lights but would want to be able to switch them on and off separately from the headlights.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

6. Likes Power247 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I'm with @BrentM, need to see the wiring diagram for the light system to be able to offer any solid advice.

What it sounds like you really want is to have the lights come on with some sort of default setting as soon as the control box gets power. And then have the option to change colors/modes once they are on. Unfortunately, that functionality will need to be supported by the controller as a default.

It is possible to bypass the control box and hardwire the lights but you will lose the ability to change modes or easily change colors. The the issue is that the feed into the control box is just 2 wires but the feed to each individual light is likely more. For example, standard color change LEDs have 4 wires to make all the colors. Colors are made by powering different combinations of the wires.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

You need to use an interposing relay so not to overload the headlight drivers on the BCM. Pretend the + on the relay is the lights. You'd be amazed at how much the current from LED's adds up

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    I'm with @BrentM, need to see the wiring diagram for the light system to be able to offer any solid advice.

What it sounds like you really want is to have the lights come on with some sort of default setting as soon as the control box gets power. And then have the option to change colors/modes once they are on. Unfortunately, that functionality will need to be supported by the controller as a default.

It is possible to bypass the control box and hardwire the lights but you will lose the ability to change modes or easily change colors. The the issue is that the feed into the control box is just 2 wires but the feed to each individual light is likely more. For example, standard color change LEDs have 4 wires to make all the colors. Colors are made by powering different combinations of the wires.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310
    That is great info bud good looking out Greg

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

10. Likes Power247 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

What you guys are saying makes sense. Sounds like too much trouble to deal with and I don't want to lose functionality in the process. I would however like to lengthen the sensor as it's only a few inches long and I can't use the controller without it being in direct line of it. Any thoughts on stripping the coating then extending the sensor into the cab?