Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  53
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Boost Pressure

1. Top Of Page | #41

User Info Menu

Re: Boost Pressure

I knew there was a risk of the turbo being caked, was hoping that wasnt the case since the exhaust brake seemed to function.

As a next step, I think there is a VGT requested PID, I'll log that against the actual and see if the turbo is failing to respond.

If cleaning isn't an option, what is on the table besides a replacement?

Can a person with average mechanical skills rebuild them, at a reasonable cost?

Thanks for all the input.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #42

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Learner View Post
    I knew there was a risk of the turbo being caked, was hoping that wasnt the case since the exhaust brake seemed to function.

As a next step, I think there is a VGT requested PID, I'll log that against the actual and see if the turbo is failing to respond.

If cleaning isn't an option, what is on the table besides a replacement?

Can a person with average mechanical skills rebuild them, at a reasonable cost?

Thanks for all the input.

Yeah you can compare VGT Desired vs VGT Actual. That would give you a pretty good idea if there was an issue, however, I would imagine you would also have codes if there was a major fault...but that seems to be a topic of contention as apparently the MIL doesn't get set by a lot of turbo problems.

But I would not suggest disassembling the turbo, if it was a non-VGT that would be different, but these turbos have a ton of parts in them. You're better off getting it rebuilt professionally, or for a little more money, just upgrade it.

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #43

User Info Menu

OK, curiosity got to me. I took the truck out to log the VGT desired against the actual. This is the graph

VGT Graph.jpg

Small size, I know. What it does show me (I think), is that the turbo is responding to the desired position. What I don't know is why - as of yet. You can barely distinguish that there are two lines on the graph.

Being stock, could this be part of the torque management (factor it is a manual truck), or possibly because I have a CIL for the front O2 sensor? Or maybe related to engine load somehow?

Thanks again for any and all input.

6. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #44

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Learner View Post
    OK, curiosity got to me. I took the truck out to log the VGT desired against the actual. This is the graph

VGT Graph.jpg

Small size, I know. What it does show me (I think), is that the turbo is responding to the desired position. What I don't know is why - as of yet. You can barely distinguish that there are two lines on the graph.

Being stock, could this be part of the torque management (factor it is a manual truck), or possibly because I have a CIL for the front O2 sensor? Or maybe related to engine load somehow?

Thanks again for any and all input.
    Oh, well you didn't mention that you had codes man.

Get that fixed first and then figure out if there are other problems! Truck is probably limiting power right now.

Regardless, desired vs actual should match up. It's when desired is one thing and actual is way different that you have a problem. What is weird is that your VGT won't fall under 50%, I have no idea if this is intended on stock tuning, I would think not.

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #45

User Info Menu

Yep, the decision to "adjust" the truck had to be made sooner than I anticipated. All the pieces are here now, I won't likely repair the sensor, I will move forward with the new parts.

I will run the same info again, to see the differences. I was attempting to baseline where it was prior to replacing parts. I didn't think through the possibility of the CIL impacting it.

I'm used to fuel being lean/rich if an O2 goes bad, the old truck was all mechanical - 3k springs, slide the plate and 4" pipe, it served me well for 330k.

Thanks for the comments and input.

10. Likes watersupply189, RamIt liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345