Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skid plate for oil pan/transmission pan?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Skid plate for oil pan/transmission pan?

Does anyone make one? Or have you guys made a custom one? Went wheeling (Very light) and had to cross a small creek (Azusa Canyon)

This was about a month or so ago but I canged the oil today and I had a dent in the oil pan (scary in my eyes). I don’t trash my truck, and it only has 7k on it.

Please let me know what you guys use as far as pan protection, attached is a picture of the damage.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Skid plate for oil pan/transmission pan?

To assist everyone that want to help, you should put your year model and such into your signature letting them know what to exactly look for to help.
    I agree, it doesn't look good. But not enough to effect the running of the engine,

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Polaraco liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Ok I will, what concerns me is...could it have messed with the pick up tube? Or is that not the location of it?Truck is a 2018 2500 4x4 68RFE Laramie w/sport package

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

It's a good ding, but if your oil pressure isn't affected and maintaining pressure, it shouldn't be much of a issue. Just less clearance between the pan and pickup point. I can't see how deep of a ding depth it is. I have some time today and will research for a skid plate.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    It's a good ding, but if your oil pressure isn't affected and maintaining pressure, it shouldn't be much of a issue. Just less clearance between the pan and pickup point. I can't see how deep of a ding depth it is. I have some time today and will research for a skid plate.
    Thank you very much Jim.

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

There isn't much I could find for a full face skid plate but this one. Skid Plate Guy: https://www.facebook.com/SkidPlateGuy
    Most were for the front end only.

Install video:

Maybe someone else has something better ?

Jim

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I’m not aware of any aftermarket ones. Maybe @dudesdiesel knows. Maybe try to find a local welding shop or dent diesel shop and have one custom made

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TUNED18 View Post
    Does anyone make one? Or have you guys made a custom one? Went wheeling (Very light) and had to cross a small creek (Azusa Canyon)

This was about a month or so ago but I canged the oil today and I had a dent in the oil pan (scary in my eyes). I don’t trash my truck, and it only has 7k on it.

Please let me know what you guys use as far as pan protection, attached is a picture of the damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    To assist everyone that want to help, you should put your year model and such into your signature letting them know what to exactly look for to help.
    I agree, it doesn't look good. But not enough to effect the running of the engine,
    Thanks Jim

I have been planning on making one for my truck. But I am also looking to make the undercarriage more erodynamic. The 3rd gens start to flote at 130 MPH. LOL Interstate 10 will never be the same.

You only need a chunk of 14 Ga and some creative thinking.

Consider yourself lucky. I had a chunk of leaf spring go through the trans pan in my 08

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

16. Likes AnOldBiker, watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies guys, I will look into making a skid plate.

Is 1/4” aluminum good enough material or should I go with 1/4 steel?

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I say whatever give you better piece of mind. If your taking the time I vote steel

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast