Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: possibly new Cummins for me

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

possibly new Cummins for me

Hey everyone I'm HOPEFULLY getting rid of my POS 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 and wanted to get back in to a diesel (I've had an LBZ and LMM built duramax's). I wanted to give Cummins a try and came across this one
    https://www.brookbankauto.com/691_V2...0-SLT-for-sale

It looks clean to me, but I was wondering if I need to look for anything that the dealer would "forget to mention"

thanks for any help!

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: possibly new Cummins for me

Quote Originally Posted by contenderv07 View Post
    Hey everyone I'm HOPEFULLY getting rid of my POS 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 and wanted to get back in to a diesel (I've had an LBZ and LMM built duramax's). I wanted to give Cummins a try and came across this one
    https://www.brookbankauto.com/691_V2...0-SLT-for-sale

It looks clean to me, but I was wondering if I need to look for anything that the dealer would "forget to mention"

thanks for any help!
    Looks clean for the age! Check for blow by (remove oil filler cap when running and set it on top) it shouldn’t move much.

front end components you want to make Sure they are tight. About 180k is when I started to replace things on my 06 when I had it- sold it at 253k -Hard to beat the 5.9 motor

I will say depending on what you are looking for comfort wise the 4th gen cab/feel are far superior IMO- my 3rd gen had wind noise from the door jams all around that I never could fix and i think it was across the board so test drive it at highway speeds

That being said I would go back into a 3rd gen before several other vehicles. Like anything there are trade offs!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

3. Thanks contenderv07 thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

It's extremely clean looking, and per the car fax, been maintained.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

5. Thanks contenderv07 thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Looks clean for the age! Check for blow by (remove oil filler cap when running and set it on top) it shouldn’t move much.

front end components you want to make Sure they are tight. About 180k is when I started to replace things on my 06 when I had it- sold it at 253k -Hard to beat the 5.9 motor

I will say depending on what you are looking for comfort wise the 4th gen cab/feel are far superior IMO- my 3rd gen had wind noise from the door jams all around that I never could fix and i think it was across the board so test drive it at highway speeds

That being said I would go back into a 3rd gen before several other vehicles. Like anything there are trade offs!
    thanks for that. The GMC I have only has 8k miles on it, so I was wanting to get back in to a hhigher mileage diesel, but also get a VW passat to drive back and forth. The truck would most likely be driven only on weekends with the VW getting the brunt of the highway miles. I did look at the maintenance and I was impressed with it. I can't tell if a tuner was on there (although I don't see any gauge clusters or any holes for a CSP5 knob for EFI). It did however have a full 4 inch exhaust. I'm probably gonna head down and look at it after work today. Thanks for the help!!

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

thanks for that. The GMC I have only has 8k miles on it, so I was wanting to get back in to a hhigher mileage diesel, but also get a VW passat to drive back and forth. The truck would most likely be driven only on weekends with the VW getting the brunt of the highway miles. I did look at the maintenance and I was impressed with it. I can't tell if a tuner was on there (although I don't see any gauge clusters or any holes for a CSP5 knob for EFI). It did however have a full 4 inch exhaust. I'm probably gonna head down and look at it after work today. Thanks for the help!!

Sure thing- you can check over by the fuse box as well and see if there has been any Velcro or wires tampered with. The box tuners (edge, diablo, bully dog) hook into the fuse box and usually the modules are mounted near that location

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Thanks contenderv07 thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

In the "How to" section of the forum, @Polaraco has a thread 'How to buy a 2nd gen Dodge Cummins '. I'm sure most of it applies to any truck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

10. Thanks contenderv07 thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

well damn, drove by and the truck was sold. Back to the drawing board. For these 3rd gen's what is a good cutoff point for mileage (when buying used)??

12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Shoot that truck was in my neck of the woods LOL

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

well damn, drove by and the truck was sold. Back to the drawing board. For these 3rd gen's what is a good cutoff point for mileage (when buying used)??
    Just be careful looking at trucks in this area. Theres a bunch for sale but alot of dealers around here will (check it over) but not even change the oil and fuel filters. You could check jerry hunt in Lexington they normally have a smorgashboard of trucks. Impex auto have a good few. And there is another place in Madison that has a bunch of trucks. Cant remember the name of the dealer though. also kernersville dodge. But if you ride there be prepared to check it over well and be disappointed with a few trucks.

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

14. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dwelsh View Post
    Just be careful looking at trucks in this area. Theres a bunch for sale but alot of dealers around here will (check it over) but not even change the oil and fuel filters. You could check jerry hunt in Lexington they normally have a smorgashboard of trucks. Impex auto have a good few. And there is another place in Madison that has a bunch of trucks. Cant remember the name of the dealer though. also kernersville dodge. But if you ride there be prepared to check it over well and be disappointed with a few trucks.
    Thanks man, I’ve heard some bad things about jerry hunt, but one person has one bad experience, then tells 50 people, kind of spoils it. I’ll check those other ones out. I’m in Burlington BTW. Thanks again!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast