Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 68RFE filter selection

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

68RFE filter selection

I’m planning to drop the pan and do a fluid and filters change on my 68RFE. In my experience WIX makes good quality filters so I may pickup the 58843 kit, locally.

Has as anybody run into an issue using something other than Mopar OEM filters in the 68?

As far as fluid quantity in the pan... does about 8 qts sound right?

I'm out. Switched back to gas!

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 68RFE filter selection

I would not use anything but Mopar filters! I used wix one time and had drain-back from the torque converter. Your transmission will not like it and it will scare the crap out of you! The spin-on filter does not include the built in check valve like the Mopar ones do and it will cause the drain-back. I recommend only Mopar!

2012 Ram 2500, 4x4, 3.73, 5” lift, 35" tires, Pure Performance TB, 5100s, 4" FloPro TBE, EGR valve/cooler/throttle delete, S&B CAI, GDP heater delete, GDP S2 air horn, Bestop Powerboards, RaceME Ultra Warp Tuning by DRD

4. Thanks watersupply189, Power247 thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by theaaronbush View Post
    I would not use anything but Mopar filters! I used wix one time and had drain-back from the torque converter. Your transmission will not like it and it will scare the crap out of you! The spin-on filter does not include the built in check valve like the Mopar ones do and it will cause the drain-back. I recommend only Mopar!

2012 Ram 2500, 4x4, 3.73, 5” lift, 35" tires, Pure Performance TB, 5100s, 4" FloPro TBE, EGR valve/cooler/throttle delete, S&B CAI, GDP heater delete, GDP S2 air horn, Bestop Powerboards, RaceME Ultra Warp Tuning by DRD
    X2 only use Cummins or Mopar or Fleetguard Filters

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Dang glad I asked. Thanks for the info!

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OverkillNeverFails View Post
    Dang glad I asked. Thanks for the info!
    And before you ask, use ATF4

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

2011 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 68RFE

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

ATF+4 for sure. Just ordered the Mopar spin-on filter AND the Mopar pan filter from Rock Auto.

11. Likes watersupply189, 4kids2dogs&RV liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Geno’s Garage is also a great site to order from and they also keep track of all of your past orders so all you’ve gotta do is hit reorder!

13. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Just a simple question .. Who makes the OEM filter ?

I have tried to find this out since all OEM's don't make their own filters and most or all parts. They subcontract out items like these and have them shipped in for installation on the assembly line and their parts store. And that's subcontractors like Wix and such.

(And there is a filter manufacture close to me that makes filters for auto manufactures and other companies like Baldwin and such, per the companies preferred specs.)

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

15. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Just a simple question .. Who makes the OEM filter ?

I have tried to find this out since all OEM's don't make their own filters and most or all parts. They subcontract out items like these and have them shipped in for installation on the assembly line and their parts store. And that's subcontractors like Wix and such.

(And there is a filter manufacture close to me that makes filters for auto manufactures and other companies like Baldwin and such, per the companies preferred specs.)
    OEM filters on Cummins are Fleetguard I’ve looked at the Mopar filters especially the fuel filter and it’s in a Mopar box and has Fleetguard printed right on top the same exact one as Fleetguard

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

17. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

The manufacture near me that makes filters for other filter companies make them per the order specifications. The boxes are per the company ordering, the parts number stamped on them are the same as the company ordering them .. placing one of the filters next to the proginal manufactures filters, they are the same.

Most companies now days have subcontractors making products for a original ordering company. I have asked several dealerships where are their filter companies based at, and was told they didn't have any. I've been looking into this for years for the heck of it. So if anyone here knows the answer, please let me know.

Lets take FleetGuard.
    Yes, I agree they are a quality filter.
    1) Where are they made ?
    2) Do they use subcontractors (if so who) ?

Simple questions asked to these companies .. never an answer.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

19. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast