Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Drain Plug Sheared

1. Top Of Page | #1

Oil Drain Plug Sheared

Happy Easter guys,

Swallowing a lot of pride to post this but I'm at a loss of what to do. I was changing out the oil and replacing the drain plug with an EZ from Geno's. The plug says to torque to 30ft/lb so I broke out the torque wrench. Well, apparently the torque wrench wasn't set correctly so I actually managed to shear the head of the plug off of the threads.

Any ideas other than dropping the oil pan or getting towed somewhere tomorrow?

Thanks in advance..

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 MCSB
    2016 Ram 2500 CCSB *SOLD*

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Oil Drain Plug Sheared

Quote Originally Posted by ViperCummins View Post
    Happy Easter guys,

Swallowing a lot of pride to post this but I'm at a loss of what to do. I was changing out the oil and replacing the drain plug with an EZ from Geno's. The plug says to torque to 30ft/lb so I broke out the torque wrench. Well, apparently the torque wrench wasn't set correctly so I actually managed to shear the head of the plug off of the threads.

Any ideas other than dropping the oil pan or getting towed somewhere tomorrow?

Thanks in advance..
    Man that sucks maybe try tapping it and thread bolt into the head or try an ez out good luck

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

EZ out, use the biggest one you can find.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

4. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by walla2k5 View Post
    EZ out, use the biggest one you can find.

I 2nd this. Be careful since the inner wall is thin, but you can use an easy out. I'd also consider try a large screw driver and inserting it at an angle to grab two points and counter turn it. It can be done and should be not that hard, it is brass and will grab easy. Just don't get to over energetic.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

6. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

Pictures to help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 MCSB

8. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

Thinking large screw driver or EZ out won’t work due to the way this plug is set up. The “head” so to speak is held on by a piece that directly connects to a shaft that holds the “stopper” in the closed position. If i were to cut the shaft to try to get a screw driver or EZ out to work, I’m afraid I’d lose the upper part of the stopper in the pan itself. Using an EX out without cutting shaft would not be possible

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 MCSB

10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Looks to me like you could get a pair of channel locks on the edge or even possibly pair of vise grips on the lip good luck

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

11. Top Of Page | #8

Got it off! Managed to get the 30mm head off then used a screw driver and rubber mallet to put a divet in the copper washer, then changed the angle of attack and knocked it loose with one swing.

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Lesson learned: don’t buy a cheap torque wrench

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 MCSB

12. Likes AnOldBiker, Rtetrault, Power247, walla2k5 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Got it off! Managed to get the 30mm head off then used a screw driver and rubber mallet to put a divet in the copper washer, then changed the angle of attack and knocked it loose with one swing.

Never buy any cheap tools you get what you pay for especially in tools buy quality tools only

14. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Congrats bud happy you were able to get it out

16. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast