Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  10

Thread: Tire Size and Load Index

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Tire Size and Load Index

I am looking to move to a 35" tire on 20" rim but have a question regarding load rating. Should I have any concerns regarding the tire load index not exceeding my GAWR (6000lb according to the drivers door/6500lb according to Dodge site) - assuming I maintain E rating for tire. I am finding there are very few tires out there in a 35" that are rated above 6500lb combined (for the rear axle), but quite a few that are 121 load rating, which implies ~6400lb combined. With tires as the limiting factor, I would think it is safe to run a 121 load index tire as long as my load does not exceed that load index (ex. 3200lb/tire)

Thanks and apologies if it is a redundant question.

Last edited by Bloomer89; 12-28-2016 at 05:32 PM. Reason: added for 20" rim
    2016 2500 4x4 Crew Cab Short Box, 4" Flo Pro exhaust, Warped MM3 by Double R, S&B Intake, 68RFE, 20x10 Fuel Beast, 35x12.50 AMP Terrain Gripper

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Tire Size and Load Index

Let's ask @CustomOffsets!!!

"The grass is greener where you water it"

4. Thanks Custom Offsets thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I'd go by the numbers on the door, not the website

6. Thanks Bloomer89 thanked for this post
    Likes HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomer89 View Post
    I am looking to move to a 35" tire on 20" rim but have a question regarding load rating. Should I have any concerns regarding the tire load index not exceeding my GAWR (6000lb according to the drivers door/6500lb according to Dodge site) - assuming I maintain E rating for tire. I am finding there are very few tires out there in a 35" that are rated above 6500lb combined (for the rear axle), but quite a few that are 121 load rating, which implies ~6400lb combined. With tires as the limiting factor, I would think it is safe to run a 121 load index tire as long as my load does not exceed that load index (ex. 3200lb/tire)

Thanks and apologies if it is a redundant question.
    Bloomer89, Any E load/10ply tire would be plenty! They now offer an "F" load tire as well. Which you'd have to fill a quote form out for! (Customoffsets.com/quote) Or check these out: http://bit.ly/2hxqYkn Max Load Pressure: 3640@65

Make sure to like us on Facebook!
    Want a good daily dose of custom trucks? Check our Instagram!
    We sell wheels& tires, lift kits, custom lighting, grills, light bars and more! Right Here!

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Bloomer89 thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Great, thanks for the info.

2016 2500 4x4 Crew Cab Short Box, 4" Flo Pro exhaust, Warped MM3 by Double R, S&B Intake, 68RFE, 20x10 Fuel Beast, 35x12.50 AMP Terrain Gripper