Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best scan tool under $1,000 ??

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Best scan tool under $1,000 ??

I am looking to buy a scan tool for my home garage. I am hoping to stay under $1,000 if possible. What are some of the better scan tools in that price range? I am hoping some other members on this forum have a scan tool that that really like and can recommend. I have also considered buying a used SnapOn scan tool from Ebay or Craigslist, but I do not want a monthly subscription fee. Currently I am tire kicking the Autel MK808TS, and the Launch X431.

What are some scan tools you guys like and can recommend for a hobbiest?

Thanks!

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Best scan tool under $1,000 ??

OTC Genisys Encore Android Based Scanner/Diagnostic Tool. Works great normal 1500 and my parts supplier said that are running a 500 rebate. I have been demoing one for the last 2 months and it works good. Comes with 1 year of free updates also. Say away from the blue tooth ones. You want a scanner that has a actual cord plugged into the obd2.

4. Likes watersupply189, Oil Stain liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Im a fan of launch. Ive used the maxgo and the maximus 2.0 from matco made by launch. And ive used snapon and autel. Back when i was a mechanic. Autel is a really good tool also. Not a fan of snapon and ive never used otc but mac puts their name on it so its gotta be pretty good.. And i disagree about bluetooth. I wouldnt buy a corded one LOL. Nothing worse than trying to actuate solenoids and what not checking evap or being out under the hood viewing live data trying to diagnose and your scanner being stuck in the cab. Its all about preference on that aspect. The corded ones may be a little faster as they should be being directly plugged in.

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1badMopar View Post
    I am looking to buy a scan tool for my home garage. I am hoping to stay under $1,000 if possible. What are some of the better scan tools in that price range? I am hoping some other members on this forum have a scan tool that that really like and can recommend. I have also considered buying a used SnapOn scan tool from Ebay or Craigslist, but I do not want a monthly subscription fee. Currently I am tire kicking the Autel MK808TS, and the Launch X431.

Thanks!
    Either one you go with. Just make sure whoever you buy it from is in the us. Cuz some places that sumn gun will be coming from china and you may have hard time getting updates.

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

The problem with the bluetooth is it's to slow to run alot of the active testing. Yes the cord part sucks but mine has a 6 ft cord so I haven't had any issues yet. But we are talking 1k scanners not 15k

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamHunter18 View Post
    The problem with the bluetooth is it's to slow to run alot of the active testing. Yes the cord part sucks but mine has a 6 ft cord so I haven't had any issues yet. But we are talking 1k scanners not 15k
    Agreed. They are slower. Only ol snapon is crazy enough to sell a 15k scanner LOL. And believe it or not my buddy has the snapon zeus. That thing should wipe your butt LOL he wishes heda bought the maximus 2.0 LOL saved himself about 12000 bucks. Is that otc you have the same as the mac scout?

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Yeah for the most part. It's blue instead of red..LOL
    It won't calibrate a turbo actuator which stinks but I have a contact that has the 12k$ Matco scanner that I can rent when needed.
    It's will do most other stuff including trans adapt reset. My autel maxi works good also but it has the 3ft cord..LOL

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

OTC Genisys Encore Android Based Scanner/Diagnostic Tool. Works great normal 1500 and my parts supplier said that are running a 500 rebate. I have been demoing one for the last 2 months and it works good. Comes with 1 year of free updates also. Say away from the blue tooth ones. You want a scanner that has a actual cord plugged into the obd2.
    Sweet! Thats definitely good info. Thanks for sharing for sure. Ill have to take a look at this as well.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Yeah for the most part. It's blue instead of red..LOL
    It won't calibrate a turbo actuator which stinks but I have a contact that has the 12k$ Matco scanner that I can rent when needed.
    It's will do most other stuff including trans adapt reset. My autel maxi works good also but it has the 3ft cord..LOL
    He must have the scope, printer, battery tester tpms tool and all that that works with it. Thatd be about right to get upto 12g Cuz the matco man i had offered to sell me the matco maximus 2.0 for 3 grand LOL

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1badMopar View Post

Thanks!
    But to answer your question. I think autel would probably be what i would buy if i was buying a tool for under 1000 bucks. Its a good all around tool. Its crazy at the last shop i worked at i had access to the matco maxgo. The maximus 2.0. The autel 906 i believe it was. The zeus and the solus. And really all of them didnt do it all. Sometimes youd have to grab the snapon. Or the matco. But imo the autel offers alot for the pricepoint. And my advise to you when you get one. Esp if you go bluetooth. DO NOT download software for every make and model just cuz its free. Cuz it will make the tool run like a turtle. And i can guarantee your never gonna use it on a pinot of chino. Just making up names. But you will have useless makes if you completely update it.

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast