Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  25
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turbo and exhaust manifold replacement

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Turbo and exhaust manifold replacement

In response to the surging.. It wasn't just your truck......

For a while, RaceMe Ultra box tunes had a major surging issue.. Specifically at idle/take off/low throttle percentage... Not much information posted about it over the years, but IT WAS real....

2016 Ram 3500 CCSB/SRW LONGHORN AS69RC, What is a Deletes?, RaceMe Ultra-EGT probed, 4" FloPro TBE, Level'd, Colt 7" axleDump, 18" American Outlaws/35" Pathfinder ATs, CCV Seperator, cPitock Tuned

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jtrakel View Post
    First post but I figure I'd chime in at some point. I also am having issues with my stock VGT turbo and have recently pulled the trigger on a 3rd gen swap vs the 2nd gen. A lot cheaper and from the research I've conducted most aftermarket 3rd gen manifolds flow about the same as the 2nd gens. I also wanted to keep my exhaust brake but going the 3rd gen route saves me about $1k over the 2nd gen swap which I plan to apply towards a BD or PAC exhaust brake later down the road. Funny you had issues with your G56 and tuning on the MM3 as I also had a lot of problems with my truck over fueling while shifting and ditched the MM3/WARP tuning all together. I ended up going back to EFI live with Anarchy diesel and things seem to be going well, I'm excited to see how things go with my new set-up. Below is kit I went with if interested, the owner was awesome to talk with and I like supporting small, honest businesses! - Cheers!

http://www.mdcdiesel.com/product-p/6.7-s366-3g-t4.htm

Welcome! Glad you found a kit- smending is actually right down the road from me. They are great for sourcing hard parts but have mixed reviews with their turbos. I am not bashin them but have heard of others having turbos fail with no solution from them. Manifolds, clamps, exhaust parts etc are great pricing and quality. I personally wouldn’t run one since the turbo is such a crucial part of the truck.

the third gen manifold has the same short comings with having the exhaust exiting near the rear cylinders which makes them hotter than the rest. Although an upgrade from. 4th gen still not the same. Sound with the 2nd gen can’t be beat either unless you have rays whistle tube which is still a bit different

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Welcome! Glad you found a kit- smending is actually right down the road from me. They are great for sourcing hard parts but have mixed reviews with their turbos. I am not bashin them but have heard of others having turbos fail with no solution from them. Manifolds, clamps, exhaust parts etc are great pricing and quality. I personally wouldn’t run one since the turbo is such a crucial part of the truck.

the third gen manifold has the same short comings with having the exhaust exiting near the rear cylinders which makes them hotter than the rest. Although an upgrade from. 4th gen still not the same. Sound with the 2nd gen can’t be beat either unless you have rays whistle tube which is still a bit different
    Thanks, I'm hopeful I will not fall into the category of "having issues". I couldn't really find anything bad on the company or the products they sell, maybe I was just looking in the wrong places? As for the sound of the 2nd gen I agree, I've listened to tons of different sound clips comparing the two and decided to save the coin as I felt it was not much different. But everyone's ears are different for exhaust notes etc. I opted for a billet wheel on my turbo selection so hopefully that will yield a decent whistle.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jtrakel View Post
    Thanks, I'm hopeful I will not fall into the category of "having issues". I couldn't really find anything bad on the company or the products they sell, maybe I was just looking in the wrong places? As for the sound of the 2nd gen I agree, I've listened to tons of different sound clips comparing the two and decided to save the coin as I felt it was not much different. But everyone's ears are different for exhaust notes etc. I opted for a billet wheel on my turbo selection so hopefully that will yield a decent whistle.
    Im sure it’ll work out- keep us posted!

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

I’m a “upgrade when it breaks” or the warranty is no longer an issue type of guy so it’s a no brainer for me ?

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

I’m a “upgrade when it breaks” or the warranty is no longer an issue type of guy so it’s a no brainer for me.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

What is your hp goal for the truck?

My .02 after thinking and researching a lot. Most of us buy a Cummins for the reliability. VGT turbos are going to go bad at some point. Fixed geometry turbos have very little issues if going with a decent brand.

option 1- buy used stock VGT charger - they can be had for about $500-800. There are some posted in the sale section of this forum. This is the cheapest. Same issues will occur.

option 2- second gen swap- this is popular for the reasons mentioned before. Rays video is here 550hp setup from adding turbo and manifold on stock fuel- great info. This same setup he hit over 700 hp by adding fuel- head studs recommended but back pressure is consistently 1:1 so 30lbs + of boost can be ran without worrying like a VGT housing. Negative here- no exhaust brake

Youtube - 2017 DRD 2nd gen swap - this video he drives it on the road and discusses the benefits

kit on his truck here

https://www.xtremediesel.com/hs-moto...sx-e-turbo-kit

Clayton will hook you up with a kit like this that has all needed

option 3 compounds - Compounds are great if you are at high altitude or tow heavy frequently. Negative to these are you still have VGT charger and you now have another charger and other parts for failure . You also will need to tweak ac components to make room in the engine bay - VGT chargers don’t flow well so head studs should be installed due to added back pressure regardless

option 4- cheetah - you know already the deal with this - more performance relative to stock but head studs definitely needed and to watch EGTs. VGT will fail at some point. Pro for this is little more power and keep exhaust brake
    I kind of like the sound of 700hp. That is a long term goal though.

Thanks for breaking all these options down for me. It is really helpful and I will definitely check out Rays setup!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

What is your hp goal for the truck?

My .02 after thinking and researching a lot. Most of us buy a Cummins for the reliability. VGT turbos are going to go bad at some point. Fixed geometry turbos have very little issues if going with a decent brand.

option 1- buy used stock VGT charger - they can be had for about $500-800. There are some posted in the sale section of this forum. This is the cheapest. Same issues will occur.

option 2- second gen swap- this is popular for the reasons mentioned before. Rays video is here 550hp setup from adding turbo and manifold on stock fuel- great info. This same setup he hit over 700 hp by adding fuel- head studs recommended but back pressure is consistently 1:1 so 30lbs + of boost can be ran without worrying like a VGT housing. Negative here- no exhaust brake

Youtube - 2017 DRD 2nd gen swap - this video he drives it on the road and discusses the benefits

kit on his truck here

https://www.xtremediesel.com/hs-moto...sx-e-turbo-kit

Clayton will hook you up with a kit like this that has all needed

option 3 compounds - Compounds are great if you are at high altitude or tow heavy frequently. Negative to these are you still have VGT charger and you now have another charger and other parts for failure . You also will need to tweak ac components to make room in the engine bay - VGT chargers don’t flow well so head studs should be installed due to added back pressure regardless

option 4- cheetah - you know already the deal with this - more performance relative to stock but head studs definitely needed and to watch EGTs. VGT will fail at some point. Pro for this is little more power and keep exhaust brake
    Okay...so I really like the look of that 2nd gen kit and its really about the same price as the cheetah with some added benefits and only one negative.

However, the financially responsible thing is probably to throw a used stock turbo in until I can save up for the 2nd gen swap later on. But I do have some concerns about a used turbo:

first of all, I see some listed from 2009, 2015, 2016, and 2017. Are all these year model turbos interchangeable?

Also, most of them have about 40k miles on them. Thats about the mileage mine failed at. What mileage are most of these turbos making it to before failing? I dont want to throw $500 at a turbo that fails a month later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wkb1984 View Post
    Okay...so I really like the look of that 2nd gen kit and its really about the same price as the cheetah with some added benefits and only one negative.

However, the financially responsible thing is probably to throw a used stock turbo in until I can save up for the 2nd gen swap later on. But I do have some concerns about a used turbo:

first of all, I see some listed from 2009, 2015, 2016, and 2017. Are all these year model turbos interchangeable?

Also, most of them have about 40k miles on them. Thats about the mileage mine failed at. What mileage are most of these turbos making it to before failing? I dont want to throw $500 at a turbo that fails a month later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not 100% sure on models older than 2013 off hand. I thought the newer models had a better actuator for some reason

longevity is a loaded question kind of like a transmission holding power. Some will hold and last others won’t. It sounds like yours was on the shorter end of the spectrum. Ideally you’d like a lower mile replacement that had exhaust brake running, deleted, all the above even better.
    unfortunately buying a used turbo it may be you install it and it has issues..maybe not.

I am at 72k on mine with no issues knock on wood. Bought it at 55 and been running exhaust brake since driving it off the lot. I Deleted a little after ...I’ll be doing 2nd gen swap for sure- hopefully before I have to because it dies.

If you’re interested in my turbo I would seriously consider Pulling it....I’d be looking for closer to $900 to justify swapping it right now

2013 Ram 2500

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Im curious as to why you are limiting yourself to the Cheetah turbo if you are sticking with the VGT? My turbo just went up on mine('14 3500 Aisin) and was in the same boat, as far as, what in the heck I was going to do. I tow a 37' 12k travel trailer fairly often and LOVE the factory exhaust brake. I ended up going with the BD Screamer Drop-In turbo. Was able to keep the factory exhaust brake and the BD turbo can run with or without the emissions systems. I would look into the BD Screamer turbo. I too was interested in the Cheetah but it required deleting the DPF and i wasnt ready to go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by wkb1984 View Post
    I am definitely not hellbent on anything. I was gonna go with the cheetah because I thought it would be my cheapest option and I could keep my exhaust brake. I also thought I could use the tuning I already have on the cheetah. Apparently that is not the case. I guess I have to get it retuned if I put the cheetah in. So that puts me at about $3000 for just turbo and tuning. I haven’t done much research on the 2nd gen swap, but initially I think I saw kits starting at $2500 that didn’t even come with a turbo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast