Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 48RE build

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: 48RE build

Quote Originally Posted by Purn1973 View Post
    I stand by my above post. Towing even a moderate load, (OP mentioned a boat and Kubota....minimum 4500lbs I'm guessing with trailer?) at 600rwhp will smoke a single disc converter pretty easily. Not to mention some mild abuse, "Something he can impress the girls with and piss off the ricers" and you're gonna wish you'd have went with a triple disc and that billet output.

To the OP, as I said, do some research and get reviews from people who actually drive a high HP street truck with a properly built 48re. Remember, do it right the first time.
    I don't want to debate this. It's your opinion. You're entitled.

I've been towing 11 to 12K for years and years never lost a converter. Even a stock one. My 01 was my first automatic. 140K before the front band went. Last time I saw that truck it was a sorry case for a truck, but still had the original trans and converter. My trailer, chassis alone is 2 ton. The only reason I rebuilt my 04 was because i hit something on the road and tore out the trans pan. Damage was done in seconds. If you're tearing up torque converters, you're doing something wrong, or they are poor converters to start with. I can bet I've driven a millions in my lifetime. First trans I lost, I bought that way. 2nd real loss was the 04. This is the first truck I ever put a converter in. And that was because the previous owner overheated the trans really bad. Ahhh I could go on all day.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

You're running a near stock transmission at near stock horsepower, OP stated 600hp as his high end. Thus the reason to build the transmission to safely hold what his goal is.

3. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Purn1973 View Post
    You're running a near stock transmission at near stock horsepower, OP stated 600hp as his high end. Thus the reason to build the transmission to safely hold what his goal is.
    sorry for the late reply been running around like a chicken with my head cut off. I was unsure of what previous owner had done so i reached out and he sent me the paperwork on it. It had a lot done to it already from the billet bands and servos replaced and a shift kit installed. already has a billet flexplate, torque converter is a rebuilt one so not sure what that entailed but its holding for now. found a lot of my vibration issues was from the crap exhaust that was in it "gone now" and an issue with the heater when its running. the heater is what's causing the shudder or irregular idle.

5. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Van Epps View Post
    sorry for the late reply been running around like a chicken with my head cut off. I was unsure of what previous owner had done so i reached out and he sent me the paperwork on it. It had a lot done to it already from the billet bands and servos replaced and a shift kit installed. already has a billet flexplate, torque converter is a rebuilt one so not sure what that entailed but its holding for now. found a lot of my vibration issues was from the crap exhaust that was in it "gone now" and an issue with the heater when its running. the heater is what's causing the shudder or irregular idle.
    Yeah I replied to that one too. When did thatr heater motor issue start?

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Yeah I replied to that one too. When did thatr heater motor issue start?
    Could have been for a while bit didn't notice with the exhaust leak I had was so loud it's all you could hear.

8. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Van Epps View Post
    Could have been for a while bit didn't notice with the exhaust leak I had was so loud it's all you could hear.
    I am totally confused now

9. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Since I bought the truck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12