Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  10

Thread: Idling after Deletes

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Idling after Deletes

Noob question here. I tried to search wash down and nothing came up. But basically when would cylinder wash down become a concern or is it even after I delete my truck? I don't plan on idling for crazy amounts of time but would 30-60 minutes be perfectly fine once and a while? Should I bump up the high idle if this long? I'm moving/towing from Alaska to Montana and expecting about 7 days on the road and would like to warm truck up decent for the family. Maybe I'm over thinking it but would just like some feedback. Thanks everyone.

2. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Idling after Deletes

I don't think it's much of a problem with these newer computer controlled engines, as opposed to the older mechanical ones. But idling it up will put more heat in the engine like you stated. I'm sure someone more savvy will chime in. That's a long haul to Montana, have a safe trip!

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

4. Likes watersupply189, david3gen liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I used to idle mine for 12 hours a day doing flowback in the oilfield. Never had an issue. My wife still daily drives it. I now have a work truck f-250 6.7 But hey free truck is a free truck I guess.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reesie View Post
    Noob question here. I tried to search wash down and nothing came up. But basically when would cylinder wash down become a concern or is it even after I delete my truck? I don't plan on idling for crazy amounts of time but would 30-60 minutes be perfectly fine once and a while? Should I bump up the high idle if this long? I'm moving/towing from Alaska to Montana and expecting about 7 days on the road and would like to warm truck up decent for the family. Maybe I'm over thinking it but would just like some feedback. Thanks everyone.
    There's no such thing as a cylinder wash down in a diesel. That's a gasser thing. You're squirting oil for fuel.

30 to 60 minutes is allot. When the truck comes off fast idle, you should be ready to go. Remember, it will warm up faster with a load on it. If you want, you could keep it in a reduced gear for a bit.

You may want to consider a radiator Bra. @Geno's Garage They have some nice ones. https://www.genosgarage.com/category/winter

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Idle won't hurt the truck. 18 wheelers idle for several hours while they sleep or have down time. You shouldn't need an hour to warm it up but you won't hurt anything

10. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Polaraco liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Awesome, thanks guys

12. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Polaraco liked this post