Thanks Thanks:  32
Likes Likes:  59
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard Wiring AMP Running Board System?

1. Top Of Page | #1

Hard Wiring AMP Running Board System?

The 1st question went well, now for a harder one.

So the MM3 is taking the port, how do I hard wire the AMP?

I did a Google search on it but only came up with installation.

Don't Stress

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

I found a passthrough harness, but that seems to be a waste of money. So I think that I'll just soldier and shrink wrap it. It looks like it just connects to 4 wires.

I'm a little worried about cutting into the port wires, but it should be okay.

Don't Stress

4. Thanks metaldrummer839 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RezStyle Cummins View Post
    I found a passthrough harness, but that seems to be a waste of money. So I think that I'll just soldier and shrink wrap it. It looks like it just connects to 4 wires.

Don't Stress
    I'm not sure that will work either. If it won't work with the pass through, it probably won't work hard wired. If anything, it may interfere with the running of the truck. Try it at your own risk, but you may pay for it later. Mopar CanBus is not too forgiving

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Likes david3gen, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RezStyle Cummins View Post

Don't Stress
    My AMP steps came with some nice 'thread on' wire taps so no cutting and splicing needed. My truck is a '12 so I actually tap the 4 wires under the fuse box in the engine compartment. There was a change made to the '13 + and the wires you need are way up under the dash. Several guys on here are running a splitter/pass through without any issues.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I asked AMP for hard wire directions and here is their reply:

Hello Brent,

Unfortunately, at this time we only offer the Power Step application for the new Ram vehicles as a plug and play variation. You may be able to hardwire the system in the same way as the previous models, but we have not verified the wiring. You would want to refer to the manual that I have attached. You would also need to add diodes to the harness that you have. You will need to branch the two wires that you have into four, and add a diode to each leg of the branch. The diode part number is 1N4001 that you would need to purchase, and you will need four of these. This is to keep the door ajar wires from back feeding on each other.

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me.

Regards,

Chris Peterson | Call Center Agent | Lund International
    949.221.4198 p | c | f
    Office: 15651 Mosher Ave. | Tustin,CA | 92780

Attached are the instructions they sent.

I replied back to them with this:

Chris,

Thanks for the response, Just a couple other questions, Do the steps send any signals or only pick up existing signals through the OBDII Port? Can i use the pass through OBDII Connector (part 76404-01A) I am curious if there could possibly interference with my tuner programming if I open the door when it is communicating with the ECM.

If I hard wire per the instructions sent, do you know what signals I am looking for on the wires I splice, I have not looked to see if the wire colors match, and would prefer to use the OBDII pass through

Their response:

Hello Brent,

Our OBDII plug only listens to the BCM for the software codes to determine when the doors are opened. They do not transmit or send out any signals.

You should be able to use the 76404-01A, but you will need to make it stay in place. The 76404-01A is based on the Ford/GM OBDII plugs, which bolt down to the vehicle. The Ram and Tundra vehicles use a set of clips to hold the plug in place.

You could hardwire the vehicle, but it would require a few alterations to your existing harness. You would also need to find the trigger wires, for we have not verified the wiring in the 2017 Ram models.

Regards,

So I am running the pass through cable and have had no issues. I have not opened the doors while changing tunes, I think that would be the only time the two would be communication at the same time.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

10. Top Of Page | #6

Quote Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
    I asked AMP for hard wire directions and here is their reply:

Hello Brent,

Unfortunately, at this time we only offer the Power Step application for the new Ram vehicles as a plug and play variation. You may be able to hardwire the system in the same way as the previous models, but we have not verified the wiring. You would want to refer to the manual that I have attached. You would also need to add diodes to the harness that you have. You will need to branch the two wires that you have into four, and add a diode to each leg of the branch. The diode part number is 1N4001 that you would need to purchase, and you will need four of these. This is to keep the door ajar wires from back feeding on each other.

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me.

Regards,

Chris Peterson | Call Center Agent | Lund International
    949.221.4198 p | c | f
    Office: 15651 Mosher Ave. | Tustin,CA | 92780

Attached are the instructions they sent.

I replied back to them with this:

Chris,

Thanks for the response, Just a couple other questions, Do the steps send any signals or only pick up existing signals through the OBDII Port? Can i use the pass through OBDII Connector (part 76404-01A) I am curious if there could possibly interference with my tuner programming if I open the door when it is communicating with the ECM.

If I hard wire per the instructions sent, do you know what signals I am looking for on the wires I splice, I have not looked to see if the wire colors match, and would prefer to use the OBDII pass through

Their response:

Hello Brent,

Our OBDII plug only listens to the BCM for the software codes to determine when the doors are opened. They do not transmit or send out any signals.

You should be able to use the 76404-01A, but you will need to make it stay in place. The 76404-01A is based on the Ford/GM OBDII plugs, which bolt down to the vehicle. The Ram and Tundra vehicles use a set of clips to hold the plug in place.

You could hardwire the vehicle, but it would require a few alterations to your existing harness. You would also need to find the trigger wires, for we have not verified the wiring in the 2017 Ram models.

Regards,

So I am running the pass through cable and have had no issues. I have not opened the doors while changing tunes, I think that would be the only time the two would be communication at the same time.
    Dude thank you big time.

Don't Stress

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, jffbrght thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

So Amp 76404-01A cost 60+. I found this. https://www.amazon.com/Diageng-Right.../dp/B00EEDOWU8

I don't know how to do the link right, so I hope it turns out right. I read one review on the AMP 76404-01A and he said that he uses this one with no issues. Now he runs something else of the other one but I don't think that it is a Turner, but the point is that they both worked.

It has been a long day for me, so my brain is dead.

Let's say this.
    In theory, since the AMP only Listens and doesn't talk there should be no issues as long as they are not trying to receive codes at the same time.

Now does the MM3 send and receive or just send? I would think that it would be both ways to make sure that the codes where accepted. The only time the AMP needs a code is when the door opens and closes.

Which could be the same issue regardless if we use the Y or hardwire.

Am I looking at this correctly?

Don't Stress

13. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I bought one of those cheap splitters and the steps did not work with it so I sent it back and got the AMP one. I did not trace the wires for the hard wire options so I am not sure if they are the same wires that run to the OBD port or not so I can't confirm that the splitter and hard wire options do the same thing. AMP could not tell me what type of signal I was looking for on the hard wire option (+12v, ground, or something else) and I didn't want to start hacking wires just shooting in the dark so I went with the splitter.

I think the The MM3 sends and receive signals to change the tune when you select a different power level but I could be wrong, not completely sure. I think most of the time it is only receiving.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

15. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
    I bought one of those cheap splitters and the steps did not work with it so I sent it back and got the AMP one. I did not trace the wires for the hard wire options so I am not sure if they are the same wires that run to the OBD port or not so I can't confirm that the splitter and hard wire options do the same thing. AMP could not tell me what type of signal I was looking for on the hard wire option (+12v, ground, or something else) and I didn't want to start hacking wires just shooting in the dark so I went with the splitter.

I think the The MM3 sends and receive signals to change the tune when you select a different power level but I could be wrong, not completely sure. I think most of the time it is only receiving.
    I just got done doing my steps yesterday, using the pass through harness and it works flawlessly. I also have the MM3 and had my door open and closed with the MM3 on and no issues. I used the AMP harness as well. Hope that helps.

17. Top Of Page | #10

Dude that is great news. I'll order one today from Amazon. Dude that is awesome news!!!

The MM3 should be here tomorrow, so until the AMP splitter comes in, I won't be using the step.

Don't Stress

18. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast