Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Axle Woes

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Axle Woes

My 03 has been plagued with rear axle problems. I guess since it was new.

2 years ago I re-geared the rear to 342's. I saw telltale signs someone had been in there before. A few weeks ago I took a small trailer to North Carolina. During the trip the rear started to make noise, but I was already committed soo I went on. I dropped off the trailer and came home. I checked the oil in the rear the next day and noted it was like 1/2 a pint low. Quick glance around and saw the RR leaking.

Thinking the noise was coming from the wheel, I went and got a seal and set of bearings. When I pulled the axle, the wheel was very loose. I decided to rebuild the hub and did the whole show. It looked like someone was in there before too, but can't be sure. Torqued it up, and the truck felt better and a bit quieter. That gave me the thought to check the Left hub. That was loose too! I retorqued it and checked the axle for trueness, the best I could. Pulled the other axle back out and checked that one too. All seems good.

After all this I concluded the pinion bearings are bad now. Man is that sucker screaming. I don't have the tools for that. So I'm getting them done Wednesday. I didn't do them when I did the gears, but I did do the pinion bearings.

I'm betting the axle was putting some stress on the bearing and caused it to prematurely fail. I doubt it was poor lube. When I put the new cover on last fall I used Valvoline gear oil. It's still clear. I'll know more when the diff comes out.

Just venting. I should put a zipper on this rear.

@Double R Diesel Maybe it was the radioactive brake drum. LOL

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Axle Woes

Vent all you need ... and more if needed.
    It is a pain in the @@@ when things like this happens.

(But watch your language so you don't get jumped on)

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Vent all you need ... and more if needed.
    It is a pain in the @@@ when things like this happens.

(But watch your language so you don't get jumped on)
    I wish I had the proper tools to do the job. I can get the bearings on, I can't get them off. That 40 ton press was a good investment.

&^%%**$##$&^%(^&^%#&&^

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post

&^%%**$##$&^%(^&^%#&&^
    I hear that!

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Let me know what you need @Polaraco, I have a fully stocked shop, a half hour drive away.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

@AnOldBiker *&*&&^&^%&^*()+_)+_(_)(&)(%*^$&^#^%#@^%$#&^&)(*YU) _+_++_(_(&)(&^&^$&$#^%$@^$#&^%*(*&)_

Well! I was wrong. It was the outer pinion bearing. The picture doesn't show the worst of the rollers, I couldn't find the ones with the big chunks out of them. You get the idea. . .

DSCN0122.JPG

How much louder can you make a radio? LOL.

Nice and quiet now
    @F350Cummins

8. Likes Power247, AnOldBiker liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Good, I will be able to hear myself think on the trip this weekend.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

10. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by F350Cummins View Post
    Good, I will be able to hear myself think on the trip this weekend.
    It's the quietest it has ever been now.

11. Likes Power247 liked this post