Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Transmission line pressure

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Transmission line pressure

I just ordered a Raceme Ultra and I noticed that it has a trans tune that will boost the line pressure. Can anyone tell me what is the benefit of this is and is it safe. This is probably a stupid question but I just bought my truck and I'm still learning.

2. Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

It puts more pressure on the bands and clutches so they don't slip.

Harm? Depends on the condition of the trans, age, ect. if the pressure is too high it could blow past some of the seals. Most of those programs don't go that far though

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Thanks, it's brand new. It only has 14 miles on it right now.

6. Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

@Double R Diesel LLC?

Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!

"The grass is greener where you water it"

8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedRam View Post
    I just ordered a Raceme Ultra and I noticed that it has a trans tune that will boost the line pressure. Can anyone tell me what is the benefit of this is and is it safe. This is probably a stupid question but I just bought my truck and I'm still learning.
    Line pressure=clutch holding power.

The higher the line pressure, the more force is exerted on the clutch packs within the 68RFE. As more force is exerted, the more clutches tend not to slip while engaged in any gear or lockup. Increasing the line pressure goes a long way in preserving the life of the 68RFE, especially the overdrive gears. Gears 5 and 6 are the most vulnerable for clutch pack failure.

The 68RFE is capable of making up to 250 psi of line pressure in reverse and up to 185 psi of line pressure in a forward gear in stock form. With valve body modifications alone, the otherwise stock 68 can make 225 psi in forward gear easily.

The only downside of running higher line pressure is that it causes the pump to generate more heat but it is not bad. At a max of 185 psi, you'll probably won't even notice any extra fluid heat in the transmission.

Ray

www.doublerdiesel.com
    email: info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Power247 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Check us out on this thread and feel free to report any pro's or con's on your experience with your Ultra.👍👍 @BigRedRam
    http://igotacummins.com/showthread.php?t=4138

Ray

www.doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Double R Diesel LLC View Post
    Check us out on this thread and feel free to report any pro's or con's on your experience with your Ultra. @BigRedRam
    http://igotacummins.com/showthread.php?t=4138

Ray

www.doublerdiesel.com
    Thanks Ray, I will not have installed for another week or two. I should get the truck by Wednesday, I'm paralyzed from my waist down and I'm waiting for my hand controls and lift to be installed. I will definitely post a review soon though.

13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Thanks Ray, I will not have installed for another week or two. I should get the truck by Wednesday, I'm paralyzed from my waist down and I'm waiting for my hand controls and lift to be installed. I will definitely post a review soon though.
    You're welcome. Let's see some pictures when you can. I bet you've got one nice truck!

Ray

www.doublerdiesel.com

14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Thanks, it's brand new. It only has 14 miles on it right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Double R Diesel LLC View Post
    Line pressure=clutch holding power.

The higher the line pressure, the more force is exerted on the clutch packs within the 68RFE. As more force is exerted, the more clutches tend not to slip while engaged in any gear or lockup. Increasing the line pressure goes a long way in preserving the life of the 68RFE, especially the overdrive gears. Gears 5 and 6 are the most vulnerable for clutch pack failure.

The 68RFE is capable of making up to 250 psi of line pressure in reverse and up to 185 psi of line pressure in a forward gear in stock form. With valve body modifications alone, the otherwise stock 68 can make 225 psi in forward gear easily.

The only downside of running higher line pressure is that it causes the pump to generate more heat but it is not bad. At a max of 185 psi, you'll probably won't even notice any extra fluid heat in the transmission.

Ray

www.doublerdiesel.com
    Ha! I didn't know what it was. I'm still in the dark ages, 47 and 48 RE

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC