Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RaceMe tuner mileage...is this normal?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

RaceMe tuner mileage...is this normal?

I have a 2012 Ram 3500, 4X4, CC, long box, 6.7, 6 speed auto with 3:73 rear end. I'm running full delete with the factory VGT turbo and a Street Gate waste gate. I'm running my RaceMe tuner on the "Tow" with the injector timing set to the second lowest, or one step above factory. I tried to run with more advanced injection timing and my mileage got worse and the engine got a lot noisier! My mileage at 60-65 mph when running empty is a very acceptable 21.5 mpg (us gal.) When I'm towing my 7500 lb. Travel Trailer with my 600 pound motorcycle in the box of the truck, I struggle to get 10 mpg. I was kind of expecting around 13 or 14. I live in BC, Canada and there are no level roads, all hills and mountain passes. Does this sound like reasonable mileage for the load, or should I be getting better? Any suggestions as to settings for the RaceMe tuner?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

"The grass is greener where you water it"

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

That sounds consistent with the #s I was getting when I ran the RaceME. It's not the weight of the TT but the shape that kills the MPGs. Pulling a flat bed or open car trailer with the same weight will yield 14-15 MPGs.

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

4. Thanks ywgbandit thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    That sounds consistent with the #s I was getting when I ran the RaceME. It's not the weight of the TT but the shape that kills the MPGs. Pulling a flat bed or open car trailer with the same weight will yield 14-15 MPGs.
    We agree. ywgbandit, sounds like you have your tune adjusted for best efficiency. Hills and wind resistance with added weight will definitely kill mileage.

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

6. Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I was going to try the RaceMe in the stock mode (with delete's) and see if the mileage improved, but I forgot the tuner at home. I'm running very good EGT's and boost on level ground I'm 9-11 pounds boost and under 900 degrees, on the hills if the boost gets up around 30 psi and the EGT's get to 1200 I select 5th gear and EGT's come down and so does the boost after a momentary spike. She will pull an 8% grade at 60-65 mph in 5th with no coolant over temp or EGT or Boost issues. The Street Gate will open at about 30 psi, but only momentarily. I'm very happy with the performance, I was just hoping to get the mileage I used to with my F-350, 6.0 Power Stroke. I hauled a 10,000# Titanium 5th wheel and would average 13.5 mpg, but that was mostly on the Prairies and that was a very aerodynamic 5th wheel. It also never got better than 18 mpg empty and had to drop a gear to climb any kind of hill.
    So 21.5 mpg running empty is pretty good?

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    Have you found a tuner you like better? Are you deleted?

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Yes, i am deleted. I ran a RaceME for almost a year. I am using a XRT Pro now. I switched to get tranny tuning and @DoubleRDiesel LLC custom tuning. MPGs are about the same as with the RaceME but Ray's custom tuning really makes the truck run so much smoother. 21.5 hand calculated is what I am getting as well.

Greg

10. Thanks ywgbandit thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Just curious as to what kind of mileage around town? Mt 21.5 was a round trip including mountain passes from Calgary, AB to Banff and into northern Idaho. I was very happy with that. I'm surprised bt the difference when towing.

12. Thanks Power247 thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

It's pretty flat here. Last check I was getting 17 daily driving unloaded. That was mostly 2 lane county roads with lots of stop signs but also included some highway driving too. My last unloaded road trip was 400 miles and I got 21+-. Most of that was spent with cruise set on 73mph, some times less but never more than 78 unless passing. I feel like I could have gotten a little better if I didn't get hung up in heavy construction traffic for 10-15 miles of the trip.

Pulling our camper (30ft TT) I get 10-11. Before deleted I was getting 7-8.

Greg

14. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

That is virtually identical to my numbers, so at least I know now I'm not way off base. Thanks for the information....it's appreciated!

15. Likes Power247 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast