Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  32
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Throttle issue...loose connection?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Throttle issue...loose connection?

After roughly 1500 miles since installing my tune on my 2014 2500 I had a strange throttle issue. I went to the drive in movies so truck was in accessory for most of the night. After the first movie I moved the truck and all seemed fine, let it idle between movies to make sure batteries were good. When I started the truck to leave there was ZERO throttle. Throttle position on my MM3 was still reading but the truck would not move past idle. That's when I noticed that my RT button was unavailable as well. Checked all the connections and everything seemed fine. When I tried to access the ECM through the tuner it said the ECM was not on program mode. I idled the truck outside the gate and made arrangements to have someone come tow me. This was when I noticed the RT was available again, so I changed the tune to see if that did anything and no such luck. Finally I went back to the ECM and reflashed it and that fixed the problem. Anyone experienced this before or have any clue what would cause it? Thanks in advance.

-Ridge

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Throttle issue...loose connection?

Quote Originally Posted by RT's14Cummins View Post
    After roughly 1500 miles since installing my tune on my 2014 2500 I had a strange throttle issue. I went to the drive in movies so truck was in accessory for most of the night. After the first movie I moved the truck and all seemed fine, let it idle between movies to make sure batteries were good. When I started the truck to leave there was ZERO throttle. Throttle position on my MM3 was still reading but the truck would not move past idle. That's when I noticed that my RT button was unavailable as well. Checked all the connections and everything seemed fine. When I tried to access the ECM through the tuner it said the ECM was not on program mode. I idled the truck outside the gate and made arrangements to have someone come tow me. This was when I noticed the RT was available again, so I changed the tune to see if that did anything and no such luck. Finally I went back to the ECM and reflashed it and that fixed the problem. Anyone experienced this before or have any clue what would cause it? Thanks in advance.

-Ridge

You mean to tell me there are still drive in movie places? LOL
    Sounds like your batteries dropped to low on voltage causing your problem but I’m no expert. Ray from DRD stated that low voltage will cause issues with the MM3 and that you need to have two good charged batteries and you did state you left your key in the ACC mode during the movies which definitely would put a draw on your batteries. How old are your batteries?

2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Cummins, G56, Rough Country Leveling, MM3 EGRless Tuned by Double R Diesel

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Likes RT's14Cummins, walla2k5, Elliss liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    You mean to tell me there are still drive in movie places? LOL
    Sounds like your batteries dropped to low on voltage causing your problem but I’m no expert. Ray from DRD stated that low voltage will cause issues with the MM3 and that you need to have two good charged batteries and you did state you left your key in the ACC mode during the movies which definitely would put a draw on your batteries. How old are your batteries?

2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Cummins, G56, Rough Country Leveling, MM3 EGRless Tuned by Double R Diesel
    Batteries are a month old deep cycle agm. It cranked up with no hesitation after both movies.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

This was a pretty popular topic at the beginning of cold weather season. Do you have the MM3 set to load an RT tune at start up? It is welll noted that you can see some flaky behavior from the truck if the voltage drops too low when loading an RT tune.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Batteries are a month old deep cycle agm. It cranked up with no hesitation after both movies.

Well like I’ve said I’m definitely no expert but your batteries could of been down just enough leaving it in the ACC position that it still started but just down enough to mess the MM3 up? Hopefully somebody else with more knowledge can chime in on this matter? I hope that was the case and that there isn’t a problem with your tuner....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

10. Thanks RT's14Cummins thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, walla2k5, RT's14Cummins liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    This was a pretty popular topic at the beginning of cold weather season. Do you have the MM3 set to load an RT tune at start up? It is welll noted that you can see some flaky behavior from the truck if the voltage drops too low when loading an RT tune.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310
    I did not have the tuner set to load RT at start up, just the base tune.

12. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I had a similar issue earlier this year. I had my key on for an extended time and voltage dropped just enough to have no response in the throttle. Here's a good read from @Double R Diesel 's troubleshooting guide.

https://www.doublerdiesel.com/mm3-tu...hooting-guide/

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by walla2k5 View Post
    I had a similar issue earlier this year. I had my key on for an extended time and voltage dropped just enough to have no response in the throttle. Here's a good read from @Double R Diesel 's troubleshooting guide.

https://www.doublerdiesel.com/mm3-tu...hooting-guide/
    Thanks for the link Walla that answered my question. Sounds like I fixed it correctly. Now that I think about it I did at one point have the ignition in run instead of accessory to try to avoid the auto off function (push start truck). From now on I'm taking an external speaker to set in the bed of the truck!

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Yes sir that should be your issue. This is what i was going to post and send you if no one else beat me too it LOL. Glad you got it taken care of my friend!

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

17. Thanks RT's14Cummins thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Thanks for the link Walla that answered my question. Sounds like I fixed it correctly. Now that I think about it I did at one point have the ignition in run instead of accessory to try to avoid the auto off function (push start truck). From now on I'm taking an external speaker to set in the bed of the truck!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9c689bada5.jpg

Great info bud thanks for sharing

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

19. Likes RT's14Cummins, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast