Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  47
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Excessive smoke from tailpipe with noise and knocking intermitant

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Excessive smoke from tailpipe with noise and knocking intermitant

2005 Ram 48re, 4” exhaust, cold air intake, fresh rebuilt engine, brand new stock injectors, edge attitude are some of the mods there is others but couldn’t affect it in this way.

Ok so here is my new problem keep in mind I just got my 10,000 mile old brand new injectors back from testing and they are all within specs on every test. While driving if I put my foot in the throttle the motor will make kind of a hickup and out comes the biggest cloud of fuel smoke youve ever seen. Pulled over so the smoke wouldn’t cause a wreck, the hwy dissapered in the smoke it was so bad .anyways when it smoked it also made a knocking sound and felt like a misfire. It has done it a few times so I’ve parked it again . If you just cruise around light throttle it’s fine but when you get on the throttle oh lookout. The more you get on it the more smoke screen gets released. Any thoughts

Last edited by dmuney; 05-28-2018 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Spelling and punctuation corrections

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Excessive smoke from tailpipe with noise and knocking intermitant

Quote Originally Posted by dmuney View Post
    2005 Ram 68re, 4” exhaust, cold air intake, fresh rebuilt engine, brand new stock injectors, edge attitude are some of the mods there is others but couldn’t affect it in this way.

Ok so here is my new problem keep in mind I just got my 10,000 mile old brand new injectors back from testing and they are all within specs on every test. While driving if I put my foot in the throttle the motor will make kind of a hickup and out comes the biggest cloud of fuel smoke youve ever seen. Pulled over so the smoke wouldn’t cause a wreck, the hwy dissapered in the smoke it was so bad .anyways when it smoked it also made a knocking sound and felt like a misfire. It has done it a few times so I’ve parked it again . If you just cruise around light throttle it’s fine but when you get on the throttle oh lookout. The more you get on it the more smoke screen gets released. Any thoughts
    I know you did the drill. Fuell pressures. I forget. Is the attitude a programer or is it a pass through? Maybe check the connections. Especially yhat 3 wire one under the intake.

When did you stuff a 68 in there? What it cost? How complicated was it? Been kicking the idea around.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    I know you did the drill. Fuell pressures. I forget. Is the attitude a programer or is it a pass through? Maybe check the connections. Especially yhat 3 wire one under the intake.

When did you stuff a 68 in there? What it cost? How complicated was it? Been kicking the idea around.
    Fuel pressure is great. Yes edge w/ attitude. I’ll check the 3 wire. And all others. Just noticed my typo a few minutes ago thanks I corrected it.

The truck ran great I had a slight issue with it and I thought that it was injectors so I bought another set put them in. The truck ran worse so I returned them. Then I sent my six injectors in for testing they came back perfect so on the second drive it did this weird hiccup and now it does it every time we drive it if you get into the throttle it doesn’t take much to do it sometimes it does it lightly sometimes it does it horribly

Last edited by dmuney; 05-29-2018 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Spelling

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Crazy ? did you replace the cross over tubes? And also did you ensure that the crush washer came off/out of the head when you replaced the injectors?

6. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes dmuney, walla2k5, cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SNAKEYES View Post
    Crazy ? did you replace the cross over tubes? And also did you ensure that the crush washer came off/out of the head when you replaced the injectors?
    I reused the same crossover tubes that were previously installed with these injectors I’m pretty sure all the other copper washers were out before dropping my injectors back in but if I find nothing else I will check

8. Thanks Blacktop thanked for this post
    Likes david3gen, cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I have always heard to change out the cross over tubes with new Bosh ones don't go cheap on that end. Was it doing the smoking and knock prior to changing out the injectors?

10. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes dmuney, walla2k5, cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SNAKEYES View Post
    I have always heard to change out the cross over tubes with new Bosh ones don't go cheap on that end. Was it doing the smoking and knock prior to changing out the injectors?
    No it just started running rough so i replaced the injectors and i dont know what the issue was with the new ones but the truck barely ran it missfired and smoked worse than a chimney. so pulled them back out sent back got my $$ back snd sent mine out for testing. the test results were all within spec on all 6 injectors on all 6 tests so i reinstalled them and it ran perfect. drove it maybe 10 miles and now this isssue i can drive it now you just cant get into the throttle or the cars behind me will be in for ride cause they wont see nothing but thick white smoke

12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

my thoughts are whatabout a possible burnt valve ? an intake valve in all of this headace iv been dealing with these past few days i noticed 1 intake valve had almost no lash could i have burnt a intake valve and now exaust is poluting the cylinders causing this? i'm lost at this point

13. Likes walla2k5, cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dmuney View Post
    I reused the same crossover tubes that were previously installed with these injectors I’m pretty sure all the other copper washers were out before dropping my injectors back in but if I find nothing else I will check
    I would call Tim He's the man Are you sure the harness in the valve cover isn't compromised?

This truck just won't give up will it?

https://www.accuratediesel.com/

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

15. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    I would call Tim He's the man Are you sure the harness in the valve cover isn't compromised?

This truck just won't give up will it?

https://www.accuratediesel.com/
    Yea no kidding right I’m buried in this truck so deep now although it was a smoking deal it’s been a smoking money pit ever sense.

The harness under valve cover I’ll check it tomorrow I remember the wires pass right next to the head studs maybe one is shorting out against the threads on one of the studs Thanks for the thought ol man it’s appreciated

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast