Thanks Thanks:  73
Likes Likes:  250
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Holset HE351VE possible actuator issue

1. Top Of Page | #51

User Info Menu

Re: 2011 Holset HE351VE possible actuator issue

Yeah I cleared all codes before taking it for a drive last night.

Currently the CEL isn't on but I'm sure it would be if I drove it a bit more.

The rebuild shop was trying to same me money and that is great, but now I have to pull it again or go the City Diesel route, I just wish they would have replaced the actuator like I had instructed them to do the second time.

I really don't want to pull the turbo again, if I do I should but it back together with wing nuts.

2. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189, cwendel liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #52
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cwendel View Post
    Based on what is happening, I would advise a couple of things.
    1. Make sure you have a good tune and that it has not become corrupted.
    2. Have the batteries load tested to make sure you have good cells in all. A bad cell will cause a problem on these trucks but won't keep them from starting. I am suggesting this since you say that revving the engine can get the actuator working so you may have a low voltage issue.
    3. After all is said and done, shoot the rebuilder and do put in the new actuator. I say the third because your turbo soots up due to the vanes sticking. This results in bad fueling which results in the excess soot. Not enough air flow means bad fuel mix. Then the actuator is too weak and the vanes stick.
    That has been my issue for over 8 months. It has probably led to other problems in my system but that has been it.
    And my wife wants me to sell my truck too, tired of not being able to go camping this past season.

Make sure to clear the codes from the ecm before you install the actuator. Even if they do not appear, clear the codes as it will reset fuel map adjustments and any pending issues that may be hidden by your tune.

2013 2500 6.7 cummins crew cab. white and stock as can be
    using Tapatalk
    I don’t have tune but I did have my batteries checked and one was bad so they replaced it. I wish that fixed the issue but unfortunately this morning no boost again could only go like 30 mph. Pulled over, reved the engine waited a second and started working fine. This truck is gonna get me divorced. Cuz you know she goes before the truck lmao!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, InlineSix.7 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #53

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper89 View Post
    Yeah I cleared all codes before taking it for a drive last night.

Currently the CEL isn't on but I'm sure it would be if I drove it a bit more.

The rebuild shop was trying to same me money and that is great, but now I have to pull it again or go the City Diesel route, I just wish they would have replaced the actuator like I had instructed them to do the second time.

I really don't want to pull the turbo again, if I do I should but it back together with wing nuts.
    No need to pull the turbo to do the actuator. Just pull the gender liner and you can get right to it. The only pain part is draining the radiator.

using Tapatalk

6. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #54

User Info Menu

Sorry, fender liner

using Tapatalk

8. Top Of Page | #55

User Info Menu

Oh draining the radiator is nothing.

The fender liner isn’t too bad either.

I’m just tired of laying on the cold concrete and leaning in over the top side pulling turbo bolts.

9. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob, cwendel liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #56

User Info Menu

What are every ones thoughts on unplugging the VGT and driving the truck?

I ordered the City Diesel Actuator just now but they are on back order through @Geno's Garage due in tomorrow.

If they arrive tomorrow it shouldn't be a big deal to wait for it and not drive the truck, if they don't make it with the holidays it could be a while and I would like to get up north and go hunting.

I can't leave the wife home with no transportation, so is unplugging and driving going to cause issues?

11. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #57

User Info Menu

Just make sure it defaults to an open position. If it sets closed then it will smoke like crazy and have no boost. Open default will be really laggy with lots of top end boost. Just need to be careful with it.

using Tapatalk

13. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #58

User Info Menu

Well the City Diesel actuators that were supposed to be in on the 26th of November have now been pushed back to December 6th. No phone call from Geno's letting me know this, I had to call them to see what was going on. I don't know what to do at this point, I can't go that long without my truck.

15. Likes AK Bob, watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #59

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper89 View Post
    Well the City Diesel actuators that were supposed to be in on the 26th of November have now been pushed back to December 6th. No phone call from Geno's letting me know this, I had to call them to see what was going on. I don't know what to do at this point, I can't go that long without my truck.
    Sorry to hear about the delay. Have you tried driving it with the actuator disconnected and vanes open? If you can make do like this for a little while I think it will be worth the wait.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

17. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #60

User Info Menu

I haven't tried disconnecting it yet.

According to my MM3 it typically is in it's "home" position at about 25%.

I don't know if when the key is turned off if this goes to 0% or would I be better off disconnecting it while the key is on?

At this point I am wishing I would have just got rid of the truck back about 6-8 months ago.

19. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast