Thanks Thanks:  78
Likes Likes:  229
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 2500 Laramie Build

1. Top Of Page | #81

User Info Menu

Re: 2019 2500 Laramie Build

Alright, so first road trip in the new truck is on the books. We started this adventure with about 600 miles on the truck. I've been pretty easy on it for the first 500 to let everything do its thing. The trip was 120 miles north, +4000~feet in elevation, and a 20 degree drop in temperature. Currently, were looking at around 18MPG for the trip; this was with the ACC set the majority of the time (50-80MPH) - this tank of fuel should yield 500+ miles.

HOWEVER...

The transmission is shifting like trash; super hard downshifts, lots of hunting. And the engine sounds pretty rough; sounds like a quiet 12 valve, turbo is super loud.

I'm going to chalk up the engine as the truck is having a major WTF moment over the drastic change in barometric pressure, humidity, temperature, and air density. But I'm not real sure why the shift pattern is so rough. We're going to be in this area all weekend doing lots of driving, so we will see if it improves at all. Otherwise, I very well might be looking at a CVI reset already.

Thoughts & opinions?

2. Likes Power247 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #82

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    Alright, so first road trip in the new truck is on the books. We started this adventure with about 600 miles on the truck. I've been pretty easy on it for the first 500 to let everything do its thing. The trip was 120 miles north, +4000~feet in elevation, and a 20 degree drop in temperature. Currently, were looking at around 18MPG for the trip; this was with the ACC set the majority of the time (50-80MPH) - this tank of fuel should yield 500+ miles.

HOWEVER...

The transmission is shifting like trash; super hard downshifts, lots of hunting. And the engine sounds pretty rough; sounds like a quiet 12 valve, turbo is super loud.

I'm going to chalk up the engine as the truck is having a major WTF moment over the drastic change in barometric pressure, humidity, temperature, and air density. But I'm not real sure why the shift pattern is so rough. We're going to be in this area all weekend doing lots of driving, so we will see if it improves at all. Otherwise, I very well might be looking at a CVI reset already.

Thoughts & opinions?
    What tranny you got in yours?

2021 2500 68RFE..... I'll just keep the goodies a secret!!!

4. Likes RamIt liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #83

User Info Menu

HOWEVER...

Thoughts & opinions?
    I haven't towed anything with mine yet, but the shift points are too low.

It races to 6th gear and lugs the whole time getting there. It reminds me how the old 10-12 trucks shifted from the factory with regards to shift points.

With regard to shift quality, mine upshifts, downshifts, and locks up with authority...which I like personally. When you engage the exhaust brake with the downshift, it can be very noticeable...I wont call mine harsh, but everyone perceives shift quality differently.

I know Ram made changes to the 68RFE for 2019 and I and wondering if they have made a significant bump in line pressure from previous models thus the change in shift quality.

I haven't been able to view transmission mapping as if yet, but it should be interesting when I do so.

With regards to your engine, I bet the sounds you hear are high altitude mapping kicking in for the turbo and fueling.

Ray,
    Double R Diesel

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, RamIt thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Noneck, Power247, RamIt, SyN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #84

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Booch035 View Post
    What tranny you got in yours?

Quote Originally Posted by DRD View Post
    I haven't towed anything with mine yet, but the shift points are too low.

It races to 6th gear and lugs the whole time getting there. It reminds me how the old 10-12 trucks shifted from the factory with regards to shift points.

With regard to shift quality, mine upshifts, downshifts, and locks up with authority...which I like personally. When you engage the exhaust brake with the downshift, it can be very noticeable...I wont call mine harsh, but everyone perceives shift quality differently.

I know Ram made changes to the 68RFE for 2019 and I and wondering if they have made a significant bump in line pressure from previous models thus the change in shift quality.

I haven't been able to view transmission mapping as if yet, but it should be interesting when I do so.

With regards to your engine, I bet the sounds you hear are high altitude mapping kicking in for the turbo and fueling.

Ray,
    Double R Diesel
    So I'll definitely say that the shifts are very sharp, but the points are far too low even with 3.73s. 5-4 downshift jerks the whole truck with the EB on, not so much with the EB off, which is interesting. TC lock up is very noticeable vs the 4th gen, but doesn't happen until 4th gear. But you're right, the truck races to 6th gear and does not want to downshift. Going up and down the hills today, I was pushing over 50% throttle to get the truck to downshift and then it would smack 4th gear to almost redline and then bang 5th....definitely not smooth. Spent part of the day WAY off road looking at remote land parcels and the truck was all over the place with 1st and 2nd.

I'd venture a guess that the MLP is higher on these trucks just with the way the transmission hits gears. Shift flare is almost non-existent which is awesome. But there are a lot of aspects that I'm not a fan of and I look forward to seeing what some transmission tuning will bring to the table.

As far as the engine goes, it's gotten quieter today and much smoother. I didn't know these trucks had high altitude mapping, so that makes a lot of sense.
    Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it!

8. Thanks DRD thanked for this post
    Likes Noneck, SyN, DRD liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #85

User Info Menu

I wonder when they changed gear ratios from 3.42 to 3.73, they never changed the shift points in the transmission. Sounds like something a smart engineer would do.

10. Likes RamIt liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #86

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ramin&Cummin View Post
    I wonder when they changed gear ratios from 3.42 to 3.73, they never changed the shift points in the transmission. Sounds like something a smart engineer would do.
    Well the 68 didn’t get new ratios, just new parts. But allegedly new mapping as well. It just seems like the mapping is consistent with chasing high fuel economy (which don’t get me wrong, this 5th gen does great on fuel) but there’s a noticeable impact on driveability.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

12. Top Of Page | #87
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Alright, so here's my 238 mile overview/insight/review/whatever LOL

1. This truck is TALL! This picture was taken at about neck level, and you can see that the Miata is almost completely obscured by the hood. Compared to the 4th gen, the 5th gen is noticeably taller from the interior. Plus, compared to leveled trucks & some lifted trucks, the 5th gen stands at about the same height (compared to a 2017 F250 on a 2" level)

Attachment 8707

2. The aluminum hood is very concerning on the highway as it flexes pretty significantly at 80mph. I adjusted my stops up 2 clicks and that seems to have improved the flexing/vibration, but compared to a steel hood, it is certainly not as solid.

3. The Harmon-Kardon system is phenomenal for a OE stereo. Sure the highs could be a little louder, but overall, I'm very impressed considering the number of bad reviews I've read about it.

4. This trucks is quiet! Ram really did wonders on almost completely eliminating cabin noise, even at highway speeds. Of course, the OE restrictive exhaust makes about as much noise as a Prius, but that's another story. This thing is quieter than my wife's Tesla was, lets put it that way.

5. LED lighting. It's everywhere but the RamBoxes, and it's terrific. The LED headlights/foglights are very impressive for not being projectors, crisp cut offs & pretty good distance.

6. The interior is impressive. There's way more to talk about than what I feel like typing, but everything is an improvement from the 4th gens...everything.

7. Handling for a HD, it's pretty good. You can feel the upgrades and improvements to the suspension when laying into some curves. The truck is far more confident and stable than my 4th gen was.

Ok, that's about all I've got right now. I plan on firing up my YouTube channel again soon and making some new content with this truck. I'll go over everything I've talked about here, plus some things that I didn't; so I'll post that up once I shoot & edit it.

In the meantime, if you're on the fence about a 5th gen & have questions, don't hesitate to ask!
    Thanks a lot for the thorough review, I waiting to order my 2020 ram 2500 or 3500 haven’t decided yet.

Hoping they offer a Night or Blackout package in different color than black.

What’s your YouTube channel so I can follow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Top Of Page | #88

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog24 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the thorough review, I waiting to order my 2020 ram 2500 or 3500 haven’t decided yet.

Hoping they offer a Night or Blackout package in different color than black.

What’s your YouTube channel so I can follow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the feedback! I've got more to cover as I just completed a 400 mile road trip with some pretty significant off roading, so lots to go over!

As far as color packages go, look into the Sport package, its similar to the blackout but body color of your choice.

My YouTube is under a different name right now and I need to clean up the content on there as a lot of it is old and irrelevant now. As soon as I get that fixed up, I'll post up the account name here!

14. Top Of Page | #89

User Info Menu

@dirtydog24

For the time being, this is the link to the channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKO...v8uF9gTppjQUKA)

Unfortunately, I have to create a new account at some point as my Youtube is legacy and despite having a custom URL chosen; I'm not able to use it. So I will be migrating over to a modern account at some point and I'll repost a new link.

I hope to start filming this week for the initial review that I posted here.

15. Top Of Page | #90

User Info Menu

So this is really cool. I shared this picture from my road trip to my IG (@6.7_isb), and this morning Ram brand reached out asking if they could use my picture.

I've taken a lot of pictures in my life, but this is the first time I've ever had a major name ask if they could reuse my content.

I'm absolutely blown away right now!

EDIT: Apparently, I can't delete attachments that are outside of the actual post.

ram.PNG

Attached Images Attached Images

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast