Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  26

Thread: How to prevent gelling issues?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

How to prevent gelling issues?

So it’s beginning to get cold here and my truck will be sitting over the winter months with occasional driving. What I’m looking for is the best supplement to keep my fuel from gelling while it sits. Thanks in advance!

2012 RAM / 3500 CCLB / 68RFE / 20x9 XD xd820 Grenades +18mm offset / 295/55 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro / MM3 with custom tuning by Double R Diesel / Flo-Pro 4” turbo back exhaust (w/o muffler) / *** EGR delete kit / throttle valve delete

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: How to prevent gelling issues?

This has been a problem for as long as they produced diesel. Most either keep the vehicle in a some what warm storage area, or buy and run a product like Power Service 911 through out the fuel system before letting it set. Also, I've heard people putting on a filter heater keeping it warm since it's the farthest from the main tank. You also have the option of using #1 diesel if it is sold in your area, that makes it gel at a lower temp than #2 diesel. Most products can be bought at Wally World, AutoZone, O'Reillys and such. Lots to choose from.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Thanks BrightWhiteCummins, david3gen thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, walla2k5, david3gen liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    This has been a problem for as long as they produced diesel. Most either keep the vehicle in a some what warm storage area, or buy and run a product like Power Service 911 through out the fuel system before letting it set. Also, I've heard people putting on a filter heater keeping it warm since it's the farthest from the main tank. You also have the option of using #1 diesel if it is sold in your area, that makes it gel at a lower temp than #2 diesel. Most products can be bought at Wally World, AutoZone, O'Reillys and such. Lots to choose from.
    I’ve never had to worry before as I always drove my truck over the winter and used the power service winter treatment. But I’m trying to keep my miles “lower” on the RAM. So it shall sit more and I’ll run a bottle of the 911 treatment, I do plan on driving it every so often just to keep thing lubricated.

2012 RAM / 3500 CCLB / 68RFE / 20x9 XD xd820 Grenades +18mm offset / 295/55 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro / MM3 with custom tuning by Double R Diesel / Flo-Pro 4” turbo back exhaust (w/o muffler) / *** EGR delete kit / throttle valve delete

6. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

The main concern I've had was it sets for a long period of time and the batteries.
    So I keep a charger on them.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

8. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Yeah that’s definitely something to be concerned with. Those dang things aren’t cheap. I’ll pull mine and use the battery tender to keep them happy.

10. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

sdfa.jpg
    One of these each fill up and your good to go.

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

12. Thanks BrightWhiteCummins thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wy4x4 View Post
    sdfa.jpg
    One of these each fill up and your good to go.
    That's what I use year round until it gets really cold. Then I have better luck with Amsoil injector clean + cold flow.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

14. Thanks BrightWhiteCummins thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Archoil has a winter additive also.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Try and park it with a full tank helps also. Run a bit of additive in the tank every so often you should be fine. I live in Canada and I onli ever run fuel conditioner in my pickup or semi when it gets really cold usually -25C or colder

17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BrightWhiteCummins View Post
    So it’s beginning to get cold here and my truck will be sitting over the winter months with occasional driving. What I’m looking for is the best supplement to keep my fuel from gelling while it sits. Thanks in advance!

Allot of guys here use Archoil products. Last year they introduced a winter fuel treatment that also contains some of their other products. I'm working with that right now. You use about half as much as the other brands. Knowing Archoil, They did their homework

https://www.archoil.com/products/ar6300-winter-diesel-treatment Check Amazon too

JJ and I were trying to work put a deal with those guys. It's not there yet

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC