Likes Likes:  218
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: It's rebuild time

1. Top Of Page | #171

User Info Menu

Re: It's rebuild time

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Are You doing the trans yourself?
    No I'll have the help of a friend that's been in the Trans business for 25 years he's done 100's of them. It's just a matter of getting the billet hard parts for a good price. That will be the chalenge. I've never rebuilt a tranny and I feel like I would be the guy that got mad at it and started to beat the hell out of the parts when I couldn't get them to go together. I have paitiance but I get irritated easily. I'm like a stick of dynamite that has a fuse about 1/4" long and very thin like a hair but hard to burn but if you burn it just right, well you know the rest. As far as the burnt valve I'd say that's my fault for not buying new valves to begin with

2. Top Of Page | #172

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dmuney View Post
    No I'll have the help of a friend that's been in the Trans business for 25 years he's done 100's of them. It's just a matter of getting the billet hard parts for a good price. That will be the chalenge. I've never rebuilt a tranny and I feel like I would be the guy that got mad at it and started to beat the hell out of the parts when I couldn't get them to go together. I have paitiance but I get irritated easily. I'm like a stick of dynamite that has a fuse about 1/4" long and very thin like a hair but hard to burn but if you burn it just right, well you know the rest. As far as the burnt valve I'd say that's my fault for not buying new valves to begin with
    Then I strongly urge you checkout @Cascade Trans Parts. He's one of our sponsors too. We always ask you go to our venders first. Without them, we wouldn't be talking.

Talk to Tim at @AccurateDiesel for injectors and pumps. He's the best all the way around. I've bought allot of parts in 50 years. Why it took me so long to find these guys. . . well who knows. LOL

http://www.cascadetransmissionparts.com/about-us.aspx

https://www.accuratediesel.com/59L_injectors.html

The rest of the performance stuff, we have plenty of vendors. I think Dudes chimed in.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, dmuney liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #173

User Info Menu

Quick help please. So tester day I figured what the Helmand decided to do a compression test just because I have over 500 psi in all 6. But my problem is today after about 20 miles the injector wires under the valve cover decided they were going to have a rubbing war with my head studs. Any recommended way to make a temporary repair on the wires to get me by for a few days?

5. Top Of Page | #174

User Info Menu

Quick help please. So tester day I figured what the Helmand decided to do a compression test just because I have over 500 psi in all 6. But my problem is today after about 20 miles the injector wires under the valve cover decided they were going to have a rubbing war with my head studs. Any recommended way to make a temporary repair on the wires to get me by for a few days?
    LIQUID ELECTRIC TAPE Home Depot, probably Wal-mart, maybe Auto frown.

Just wipe the wire with some solvent and apply. Not too heavy, and slip something underneath for drips. Let it dry. It will probably be a perminant repair. I don't know how this stuff is in oil. Read the bottle I guess

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes dmuney liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #175

User Info Menu

Well guys it's been a few months and man what a roller coaster. To answer the problem I had, it was an injector quit firing (delivering fuel ) completely.

Without knowing for sure at the time I did a comp test on all 6 cylinders #3 was low too low.

So off came the head and out came the piston and rod but it looked perfect so I pulled #1 again perfect. Then I threw it back together fired it up and it ran sweet quietest its ever ran sense I've owned it.

All this after letting it sit for another 2 months but it was back and running. So I drove it for two days and then it smoked up the whole highway, oil smoke and some horrible noise so I shut it off pulled to the shoulder. Next day I had it towed back to work, looked at it the next day and found the turbo took a crap on me.

Dang muy luck so parked again for a few days @&$#+*^€¥£

Anyways I'm unsure about why the low compression in #3, I comp tested it again due to the fact it's parked again and compression is even on all 6 so it must have been a piece of crud that caused me to work an entire weekend on my truck only to find out it was all for nothing except piece of mind I suppose

8. Top Of Page | #176

User Info Menu

Well guys it's been a few months and man what a roller coaster. To answer the problem I had, it was an injector quit firing (delivering fuel ) completely.

Without knowing for sure at the time I did a comp test on all 6 cylinders #3 was low too low.

So off came the head and out came the piston and rod but it looked perfect so I pulled #1 again perfect. Then I threw it back together fired it up and it ran sweet quietest its ever ran sense I've owned it.

All this after letting it sit for another 2 months but it was back and running. So I drove it for two days and then it smoked up the whole highway, oil smoke and some horrible noise so I shut it off pulled to the shoulder. Next day I had it towed back to work, looked at it the next day and found the turbo took a crap on me.

Dang muy luck so parked again for a few days @&$#+*^€¥£

Anyways I'm unsure about why the low compression in #3, I comp tested it again due to the fact it's parked again and compression is even on all 6 so it must have been a piece of crud that caused me to work an entire weekend on my truck only to find out it was all for nothing except piece of mind I suppose
    It happens. I can't say I have ever had that cylinder problem though. I'm guessing that the rings may have been stuck. Did you put new pistons in or reuse the original. I know you knew to stagger the splits. I remember yanking a couple of jugs because I wasn't sure of that.

I thought you put a new turbo in there??? Bummer

What was with that injector?

9. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #177

User Info Menu

It happens. I can't say I have ever had that cylinder problem though. I'm guessing that the rings may have been stuck. Did you put new pistons in or reuse the original. I know you knew to stagger the splits. I remember yanking a couple of jugs because I wasn't sure of that.

I thought you put a new turbo in there??? Bummer

What was with that injector?
    As far as the cylinder issue I think injector went bad the guy kept on driving it then when it started smoking he decided to sell it so I bought it after who knows how many people test drove it before I did. Bad injector = broken rings keep on driving rings break and we know the out come

yes I put new .040 over pistons in it and staggered the rings when I was finished with the rebuild I had 4 new and 2 used injectors within a month all 6 were new Then the time I had what I thought was injector wiring issues it turned out to be a bad injector which I found out after letting it sit this last time

as far as the turbo going bad we'll hope your sitting down for this. I pulled the turbo today and I decided it was best to remove the oil pan and clean out any debris and I found some crap in the bottom of the oil pan as to be expected what I didn't expect to find is a spun connecting rod bearing which I can't begin to even think what the f@&k just happened

so i guess I get to do it all over again this has been a nightmare from hell wrapped in cow **** soaked in cat piss time doing this project.

So I think this time I'll be installing the older machines cap con rods but which are the better ones to use ? The England Brazil or Mexico made rods?

11. Top Of Page | #178

User Info Menu

Ok fellas it's almost time for round 2 of my engine rebuild. I got a few more pennies to through at it this time just have to pull it and tear it down then buy some parts

12. Likes Sisupower, Power247 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #179

User Info Menu

Ok fellas it's almost time for round 2 of my engine rebuild. I got a few more pennies to through at it this time just have to pull it and tear it down then buy some parts
    I'll say a prayer for you. Wish I were closer.

14. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #180

User Info Menu

I'll say a prayer for you. Wish I were closer.
    It ok friend it will go together without issue. And while I'm inside it again may as well do valve springs, tip the injectors, 2nd gen swap the manifold, 2nd gen rocker arms, bigger trans cooler and upgrade the turbo. Can you or anyone tell me if a Holset HX55 would be good for a large single or maybe an atmosphere turbo I have one and am considering installing it. Engine will be removed hopefully by this weekend wish me luck.

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast