Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear diff howl

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Rear diff howl

Hey guys, I have a 2017 2500 mega cab with 6 k miles. During my test drive I didn't drive 75 or 80 but recently took a long trip down highway and the rear diff will howl when coasting. (Not accelerating or decelerating just a slight lift or the throttle and she sings like crazy.) Dealer won't fix because they say that they can't legally drive the truck that fast due to speed limit of 65. We have 3 new 2500s at work with the same issue, Anyone have this problem?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Rear diff howl

Anyone?

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Give it time bud someone will have an answer for you

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

4. Thanks Csnelson54 thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Csnelson54 View Post
    Hey guys, I have a 2017 2500 mega cab with 6 k miles. During my test drive I didn't drive 75 or 80 but recently took a long trip down highway and the rear diff will howl when coasting. (Not accelerating or decelerating just a slight lift or the throttle and she sings like crazy.) Dealer won't fix because they say that they can't legally drive the truck that fast due to speed limit of 65. We have 3 new 2500s at work with the same issue, Anyone have this problem?

The rear diff lash needs to be adjusted. Factory lash setting is .005 to .008. . They should check the pinion bearings just in case. The only other thing I can think of is it may be low on oil. Let the dealer deal with it.

Dealer is right, but it's BS. They do it all the time

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    The rear diff lash needs to be adjusted. Factory lash setting is .005 to .008. . They should check the pinion bearings just in case. The only other thing I can think of is it may be low on oil. Let the dealer deal with it.

Dealer is right, but it's BS. They do it all the time
    I agree probably just needs a shim or something simple, they did check the oil and said it was OK I will try another dealership.
    Thank you for the info.

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Csnelson54 View Post
    I agree probably just needs a shim or something simple, they did check the oil and said it was OK I will try another dealership.
    Thank you for the info.

The pinion get's shims. The carrier has screw adjusters. That's where the lash is set. If the pinion isn't shimmed right, it could cause the noise too, but they can usually clear it up with the lash adjustment.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Do you think that is possible that there is a bad pattern worn into the ring and pinion from having improper Lash or six thousand miles? This truck also has a lot of slop in the drive line or the rear end for example if you back out of the throttle right before it is going to make a shift you get a big clunk or if you rock on and off the throttle in second gear it clunks like the drive line is going to fall out. I brought it to the dealer for that also then they tell me that is normal that is just what these trucks do?

9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

If you're getting noises that noticeable or feeling things that bad. The clunking you mentioned.

I'd go to a different dealership for sure. 6,000 miles that's why you have a bumper to bumper warranty

Doesn't matter what they think. It's their job to look and fix if necessary

10. Thanks Csnelson54 thanked for this post
    Likes Csnelson54 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Make sure you get paperwork for all visits even if they don't do anything. That way you have proof and a paper trail. Just in case you need it. If something does happen to break
    That way you can make the dealership reimburse you for any out of pocket for towing, loaner, time off work, etc....

12. Thanks Csnelson54 thanked for this post
    Likes Csnelson54 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Thanks i have all paperwork so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast