Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Center carrier bearing (driveshaft)

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Center carrier bearing (driveshaft)

Hey guys I have a 2016 dodge cummins just hit 15,000 miles lifted the truck 6.5 inches with 37's and getting vibration from the driveshaft was curious if anyone knew a good safe cheap fix or not was thinking about making spacers out of steal to drop my carrier down or even buy a adjustable carrier but didn't know how far I should drop it to be at a good height. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Center carrier bearing (driveshaft)

to our forum @spicerman1996

Someone with a newer model will chime in soon, since I have an older generation. But I'd recommend either installing spacers to lowerr it to near the original angle of the shaft .. or get it to a qualified trans shop that will do it. The trucks are made with a specific angle in and out of that carrier. This includes the allowable play in movement while traveling. To much angle will quicly get you off the road. So, not knowing the angle for you shafts, I'm not much help. If nothing else, crawl under another '16 for the measurements.

But someone with a '16 or having this issue before should be on here soon.

Hey .. @Polaraco got any ideas ?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

3. Likes spicerman1996 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I have a 16 and can measure if needed. CCSB

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

5. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Thanks alot for the help

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Welcome to the family bud

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

8. Thanks spicerman1996 thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by F350Cummins View Post
    I have a 16 and can measure if needed. CCSB
    Yea if you don't care to measure the angle on that that would be highly appreciated I found the shims online I just need to know stock angle and then measure mine to find the difference.

10. Top Of Page | #7
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Just don't drop it to far .... just a gut feeling.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spicerman1996 View Post
    Hey guys I have a 2016 dodge cummins just hit 15,000 miles lifted the truck 6.5 inches with 37's and getting vibration from the driveshaft was curious if anyone knew a good safe cheap fix or not was thinking about making spacers out of steal to drop my carrier down or even buy a adjustable carrier but didn't know how far I should drop it to be at a good height. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4bf60386ee.jpg

You guys and your lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    to our forum @spicerman1996

Someone with a newer model will chime in soon, since I have an older generation. But I'd recommend either installing spacers to lowerr it to near the original angle of the shaft .. or get it to a qualified trans shop that will do it. The trucks are made with a specific angle in and out of that carrier. This includes the allowable play in movement while traveling. To much angle will quicly get you off the road. So, not knowing the angle for you shafts, I'm not much help. If nothing else, crawl under another '16 for the measurements.

But someone with a '16 or having this issue before should be on here soon.

Hey .. @Polaraco got any ideas ?

That's allot of stress on that center bearing.

Lowering the center is only going to compound the problem. You need to cut the spring pads off the the rear end tubes, twist the axle to get a decent alignment, and re-weld. Then you'll have to check the center again for stress and alignment before you weld the pads in place. A lift like that may cause you to lower the tail on the trans too. It's not that easy.

My suggestion is, sell that lift and get a lower lift if you must have it look cool and not work right.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

12. Likes Bobtipton liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Are your lift blocks angled? Best option would be to get springs and avoid blocks all together. 1/2 inch would be a start. just my 2 cents