Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horn issues

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Horn issues

I notice this issue mostly when backing up to a trailer, it's not consistent and I'm wondering what the issue could be caused by. I have a 2004 3500 slt. The issue is when the truck is in reverse and my foot is on the brake the horn sounds.. I can't duplicate the problem it just happens occasionally. I had the most issue when backing up to a trailer the other day but once or twice when I was backing into a parking spot. The horn sounds in reverse sometimes when shifting to park. Any ideas?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Horn issues

Any mods on the truck?
    @Polaraco might have an idea

I am thinking wiring somewhere but why only reverse or shifting? First thought in my mind is wiring in the steering column

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captainspearchucker92 View Post
    I notice this issue mostly when backing up to a trailer, it's not consistent and I'm wondering what the issue could be caused by. I have a 2004 3500 slt. The issue is when the truck is in reverse and my foot is on the brake the horn sounds.. I can't duplicate the problem it just happens occasionally. I had the most issue when backing up to a trailer the other day but once or twice when I was backing into a parking spot. The horn sounds in reverse sometimes when shifting to park. Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by F350Cummins View Post
    Any mods on the truck?
    @Polaraco might have an idea

I am thinking wiring somewhere but why only reverse or shifting? First thought in my mind is wiring in the steering column
    Al He has cable shift

There's a clue. You may have a bad shift cable. If so, you better check it out quickly. A 47 can self destruct if it's not in gear properly. That said, you better tend to that right away. Then you better drop the pan too and inspect the damage. Large flecks of material in the pan is real bad.

You'll need 2 people. One shifting and one watching. Put it in gear, and then shake the selector and see if it's in the detent in the trans. Same for reverse. If not, adjust/replace the cable. There is an adjustment under the steering column, but if it's real slack, it may not be enough. The cables stretch and rust in the jackets causing them to have too much slack. The same for the throttle pressure cable.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Likes The DodgeFather liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I agree @Polaraco has lots of knowledge on this. But I agree with @F350Cummins and it seems a wire or fitting.
    Being 'occasionally when in reverse' is the wording that sticks out for me.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

6. Likes The DodgeFather liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    I agree @Polaraco has lots of knowledge on this. But I agree with @F350Cummins and it seems a wire or fitting.
    Being 'occasionally when in reverse' is the wording that sticks out for me.
    Mannnn I am so far off base with this. What the $%^^&* is wrong with me???

Alex was right. I was wrong. I was looking at a 47 RE shifting post and completely lost it. I'll shut up now. Too much going on. How embarassing

My bet is the shifter has chafed a wire under the steering column. Find it and move the harness around a bit. Put some liquid electrical tape on it.

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Likes The DodgeFather liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Al He has cable shift

There's a clue. You may have a bad shift cable. If so, you better check it out quickly. A 47 can self destruct if it's not in gear properly. That said, you better tend to that right away. Then you better drop the pan too and inspect the damage. Large flecks of material in the pan is real bad.

You'll need 2 people. One shifting and one watching. Put it in gear, and then shake the selector and see if it's in the detent in the trans. Same for reverse. If not, adjust/replace the cable. There is an adjustment under the steering column, but if it's real slack, it may not be enough. The cables stretch and rust in the jackets causing them to have too much slack. The same for the throttle pressure cable.
    @Polaraco IIRC the 04 was a 48RE not a 47 like the 03 had the ability to be either

2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

6 in a row makes her go

10. Likes The DodgeFather liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Mannnn I am so far off base with this. What the $%^^&* is wrong with me???

Alex was right. I was wrong. I was looking at a 47 RE shifting post and completely lost it. I'll shut up now. Too much going on. How embarassing

My bet is the shifter has chafed a wire under the steering column. Find it and move the harness around a bit. Put some liquid electrical tape on it.

Taught me right old man @Polaraco

2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty

6 in a row makes her go

12. Likes The DodgeFather, Power247 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by F350Cummins View Post
    @Polaraco IIRC the 04 was a 48RE not a 47 like the 03 had the ability to be either
    Yeah I know that! Who taught you? There's a guy with shifting issues on a 47. That's what I was talking about. And I thought I was losing it. . . .

14. Likes The DodgeFather, AnOldBiker liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Thank you guys for your replies. I have been out of the country on my honeymoon, that being said I'm back at work and had a friend and Chrysler transmission expert check the truck out. He looked at the wiring and everything else to come to the conclusion that it has to do with the truck being in gear and the door opened. All of the lights on the dash flash and as soon as you put it in park it stops. Reverse with the door closed does not produce the same result and drive with the door open does the same thing. Only mods I have are exhaust, turbo, and air intake so far, nothing major it's a daily driver and work in progress. Thank you guys again for your help. My friend was reading your posts but not tech savvy enough to reply!

16. Top Of Page | #10
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Ahhhhhhhhh .... door open in reversed .. and not mentioned ?
    Would have never figured that one out then.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast