Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Confused

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Getting Confused

Well, the more I read here, the more confused I get. If I hadn't started getting the DPF 80% Full on the EVIC, probably never would have deleted as Truck always ran fine with plenty of power.

So, reading various posts leaves me with LOTS of newbie questions:

We full-time in our fifth wheel (weighs in around 15k). I always trusted the stock ECM factory programming to keep the engine from self-destructing. So one of my questions is what parameters do I need to monitor when towing? I know Boost and EGT need to be monitored. What else should I keep an eye on? I always keep an eye on Coolant Temp and Tranny Temp on the EVIC and I'm thinking I'll set those up on a digital gauge on the RaceMe display along with Boost and EGT. What would be another to keep an eye on?

The shop that did the work installed the EGT probe in the rear cooler block-off plate. Not the ideal location, I know, but that's where it is for the time being. What would be the absolute max temp I should watch for so I can set the gauge alarms appropriately? And does the RaceMe Ultra offer defuel settings or will that still be controlled by factory ECM settings? I'm pre-supposing here that the tuner only overwrites the settings it needs to control, default defuel settings not being one of them.

When I tow, I'm very conservative. Usually tow in fifth gear at 60-65 mph. That being said, would I be OK to use a 30hp tune? Really don't think the added power would be a big deal, but from what I read the better fuel economy is to be gained from the increased HP tunes.

And could someone please explain the re-learns that may be required? How to do a re-learn, what they do?

Sorry for the long post...

Bob

2010 RAM 3500 DRW CC LB. RaceMe Ultra Sinister EGR/Cooler Delete, RaceMe EGT, 4" Flo-Pro CAT-To-Factory Muffler
    Pulling a 2011 HitchHiker 31.5 UKTG Fifth Wheel
    Full-time RVer since 9/22/14

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Getting Confused

Congrats on the deletes. The relearn if for Transmission Tuning. You just have to give your Transmission a little but if time to adjust to the added line pressure. You did not mention if you got Warp Tuning so I'm assuming that you are only using the RaceME Ultra box Tuning. RaceME has increased line pressure and a few other things for their box Transmission Tuning but custom Tuning is honestly the way to go especially for towing heavy. A tuner can control when the torque converter locks and unlocks plus they can adjust your shift points so you're not lugging the Transmission in too high of a gear. I think the relearn is just very conservative, unloaded driving for about 75-100 miles. It may not even be that much.

The 30hp duration is just fine for towing. Before Warp Tuning, I towed my travel trailer with the 60hp duration and now I have a 90hp towing tune by Double R Diesel.

Alarms. Boost pressure should honestly be no more than 34psi but the factory Tuning allows for higher boost pressures. That's another great option for custom Tuning. The tuner can keep your Turbo from over boosting and damaging the Turbo. You shouldn't hit any alarms while driving conservatively. Just keep on watching the parameters that you are watching. Only one I'd add would be transmission line pressure.

Good luck and I hope that I was able to answer some of your questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Thanks Bobtipton thanked for this post
    Likes Bobtipton liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by theaaronbush View Post
    Congrats on the deletes. The relearn if for Transmission Tuning. You just have to give your Transmission a little but if time to adjust to the added line pressure. You did not mention if you got Warp Tuning so I'm assuming that you are only using the RaceME Ultra box Tuning. RaceME has increased line pressure and a few other things for their box Transmission Tuning but custom Tuning is honestly the way to go especially for towing heavy. A tuner can control when the torque converter locks and unlocks plus they can adjust your shift points so you're not lugging the Transmission in too high of a gear. I think the relearn is just very conservative, unloaded driving for about 75-100 miles. It may not even be that much.

The 30hp duration is just fine for towing. Before Warp Tuning, I towed my travel trailer with the 60hp duration and now I have a 90hp towing tune by Double R Diesel.

Alarms. Boost pressure should honestly be no more than 34psi but the factory Tuning allows for higher boost pressures. That's another great option for custom Tuning. The tuner can keep your Turbo from over boosting and damaging the Turbo. You shouldn't hit any alarms while driving conservatively. Just keep on watching the parameters that you are watching. Only one I'd add would be transmission line pressure.

Good luck and I hope that I was able to answer some of your questions.

Thanks! What about EGT with the probe installed in the rear cooler block-off plate? Not ideal, I know, but that's where the shop put it. I'll eventually install another just pre-turbo but that'll have to wait...

Thanks again - the info was very helpful. Think I'll put the 30hp tune on it later this week.

Bob

2010 RAM 3500 DRW CC LB. RaceMe Ultra Sinister EGR/Cooler Delete, RaceMe EGT, 4" Flo-Pro CAT-To-Factory Muffler

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

My probe is in the same location...it's not taking temp on all banks but it's a ballpark figure...

6. Likes Bobtipton liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by theaaronbush View Post
    My probe is in the same location...it's not taking temp on all banks but it's a ballpark figure...

What temps do you normally see? Do you have an alarm set?

Thanks,

Bob

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Towing my trailer on level ground, I usually see around 800 degrees. On very steep hills or bridges, I've seen peaks close to 1100 degrees but as soon as the throttle is released, it falls very fast.

9. Likes Bobtipton liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Only alarm that I have set is on boost at 34 psi

11. Likes Bobtipton liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Gotcha! I'll set my gauges up this week, as well as installing the 30hp tune. I suppose the tranny has to relearn after every update...

Thanks again,

Bob

13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bobtipton View Post
    What temps do you normally see? Do you have an alarm set?

Thanks,

Bob

An emissions intact truck will easily see EGTs hit 1600* and higher during a Regen. I have my alert set at 1700* and have only seen it a few since I set it there, all were when accelerating to merge on the highway while pulling the camper.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

14. Likes Bobtipton, watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Thanks @Power247 - good info!

Bob

16. Likes Power247 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast