Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  10

Thread: S&B Cold Air Intake Filters?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

S&B Cold Air Intake Filters?

Hey guys and gals it's almost time for me to replace my filter on my S&B Cold Air Intake on my 2016 Ram 6.7 and I was wondering if any of yall have found a cheaper filter out there that works just as good as the S&B Filters. I'm using the regular S&B (white) dry filters now but at $60 each that just seems a little high for a non reusable filter, anybody have any suggestions?

2. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: S&B Cold Air Intake Filters?

I'm shocked on the price increase of the S&B Dry filter. Last time I looked it was $45.00 for one.

Our years are different, mine is an '06. But I didn't want to keep shipping something like a filter every time I needed to change it out. And carrying an extra is taking up space. So after looking around and weighing the differences I went with aFe dry air filter. I found one that can be washed, dried and reinstalled several times. If your lazy, you can vacuum it and get back to about 80% capacity. Mine was the aFe 21-50506. It cost about $60.00, and I have had it for several years.

Now the reason I'm happy with it, I have traveled cross country for years, and there are areas I travel that the winds are strong and full of dirt when the farmers plow for planting. Usually when I stop for the night, I get into a hotel room, than pull the filter, clean it in the shower, either let dry over night or use their blow dryer and reinstall. Still the same filter, unsure on how many times, but cleaned many many times and still looks like new. Filters very well. And have been so happy with it, I bought one for the wife Frontier and my Mini Cooper. As long as 'I' don't screw it up, I should never need another filter. Original cost seems a bit high, but in years of service, the cheapest I've every had.

Just make sure the measurements fit the S&B container before ordering.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    I'm shocked on the price increase of the S&B Dry filter. Last time I looked it was $45.00 for one.

Our years are different, mine is an '06. But I didn't want to keep shipping something like a filter every time I needed to change it out. And carrying an extra is taking up space. So after looking around and weighing the differences I went with aFe dry air filter. I found one that can be washed, dried and reinstalled several times. If your lazy, you can vacuum it and get back to about 80% capacity. Mine was the aFe 21-50506. It cost about $60.00, and I have had it for several years.

Now the reason I'm happy with it, I have traveled cross country for years, and there are areas I travel that the winds are strong and full of dirt when the farmers plow for planting. Usually when I stop for the night, I get into a hotel room, than pull the filter, clean it in the shower, either let dry over night or use their blow dryer and reinstall. Still the same filter, unsure on how many times, but cleaned many many times and still looks like new. Filters very well. And have been so happy with it, I bought one for the wife Frontier and my Mini Cooper. As long as 'I' don't screw it up, I should never need another filter. Original cost seems a bit high, but in years of service, the cheapest I've every had.

Just make sure the measurements fit the S&B container before ordering.
    Hey Jim Are you oiling that element?

That's part of what I got into the tiff with them for. When I discovered the housing was sucking in water from splash through a seam, I contacted them. They blamed me because I wasn't iling my element. Right. That's what I said too. i later did a little test and discovered the enclosed filter was living in a bit of a vacuum. Anyway. . .

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I gave up on oiled air filters years ago.
    Over time, if your not careful and slightly over oil them, they fling it into the tube and to the turbo blades where it can collect and through them off balance.
    Many say they follow instructions, but I feel I'm human and can screw that up and over oil some times.
    With the dry reusable/washable filter, either water, soap and water, a vacuum cleaner ... can get you on the road quick and cheap.

The one I described is a dry material filter. No oil. The build is quality. I do recommend a pre-filter. I use to buy them, but found when I cut up the wife pantyhose and stretch them over the filter, they work great and cost nothing.

But if your getting water, you need to check further and see where it is coming from. I get no water at all. I have the snout that goes under the bumper, and even is I go through a stream (slowly) I get no water in my housing or on my filter.

If they say your not oiling them, then make sure you have their 'DRY' filter and not their oiled (cotton) filter.
    On their website, your selection is:
    KF-1035 (cylinder style) Cotton (oiled) or Dry (paper)
    KF-1032 (cone style) Cotton (oiled) or Dry (paper)
    KF-1000 (cylinder style) Cotton (oiled) only

The aFe 21-50506 I use is dry only and isn't paper, but a material like cotton, yet reusable.
    (Note: I have the older style S&B CIA unit, before they started the newer style housing, their unit # was 75-5047D)
    https://afepower.com/afe-power-21-50...y-s-air-filter

Just make sure you measure your present filter measurements, your internal housing and the neck dimension the filter clamps to. Mine is a 5" filter inner diameter where the filter clamps to the S&B turbo inlet. (odd size to me). And I believe the price is $55.00 now. It's a bit smaller than the original, but not enough to cause problems.

@Polaraco ... I'm sorry, "Good Morning".
    I'm not worth anything until after my third cup in the morning and I was on my first.
    I thought I was talking to @SMASHER

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    I gave up on oiled air filters years ago.
    Over time, if your not careful and slightly over oil them, they fling it into the tube and to the turbo blades where it can collect and through them off balance.
    Many say they follow instructions, but I feel I'm human and can screw that up and over oil some times.
    With the dry reusable/washable filter, either water, soap and water, a vacuum cleaner ... can get you on the road quick and cheap.

The one I described is a dry material filter. No oil. The build is quality. I do recommend a pre-filter. I use to buy them, but found when I cut up the wife pantyhose and stretch them over the filter, they work great and cost nothing.

But if your getting water, you need to check further and see where it is coming from. I get no water at all. I have the snout that goes under the bumper, and even is I go through a stream (slowly) I get no water in my housing or on my filter.

If they say your not oiling them, then make sure you have their 'DRY' filter and not their oiled (cotton) filter.
    On their website, your selection is:
    KF-1035 (cylinder style) Cotton (oiled) or Dry (paper)
    KF-1032 (cone style) Cotton (oiled) or Dry (paper)
    KF-1000 (cylinder style) Cotton (oiled) only

The aFe 21-50506 I use is dry only and isn't paper, but a material like cotton, yet reusable.
    (Note: I have the older style S&B CIA unit, before they started the newer style housing, their unit # was 75-5047D)
    https://afepower.com/afe-power-21-50...y-s-air-filter

Just make sure you measure your present filter measurements, your internal housing and the neck dimension the filter clamps to. Mine is a 5" filter inner diameter where the filter clamps to the S&B turbo inlet. (odd size to me). And I believe the price is $55.00 now. It's a bit smaller than the original, but not enough to cause problems.

@Polaraco ... I'm sorry, "Good Morning".
    I'm not worth anything until after my third cup in the morning and I was on my first.
    I thought I was talking to @SMASHER
    Looking at @SMASHER avatar, I should send him out to end your misery. LOL

Lots of good shtuff in there Jim

I found where the water was coming in. It was sucking it in through the seam where it separates for cleaning. There were salt stains on the inside of the housing and on the inside of the tube going to the turbo. It was easy to figure out the housing was working at a negative pressure. but they blamed it on improper oiling. Yeah My reaction too. You know what my policy is on stupidity.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

10. Likes watersupply189, AnOldBiker liked this post