Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble Codes P2281 and P20EE Engine not starting

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Exclamation Trouble Codes P2281 and P20EE Engine not starting

The engine will not start and the OBD-II codes are P2281 and P20EE. My mileage has gradually been decreasing over the past several months. but no real signs of complete engine shut down.

Is the engine not starting (not even turning over)(like there is a hard stop on any attempt to start the engine) a common occurrence with these two codes?

P2281 - Air leak between MAF and throttle body
    P20EE - SCR NOx Catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 1

doing research it appears there are a lot of possible causes for the P2281 code. I have looked for obstructions, cleaned the IAT, MAF, and MAP sensors.
    I have not yet looked into the SCR NOx Catalyst yet. that's a little over my head.

Just wondering if others have had the same experience and ended up buy a new SCR?

Thanks for any support or comments

SAM

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Trouble Codes P2281 and P20EE Engine not starting

Welcome to the family

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Sounds like your SRC Catalytic Converter is shot.

Time to delete!

*Ask about becoming a Lifetime Platinum Member Today*

"The grass is greener where you water it"

4. Likes david3gen liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EC sam View Post
    The engine will not start and the OBD-II codes are P2281 and P20EE. My mileage has gradually been decreasing over the past several months. but no real signs of complete engine shut down.

Is the engine not starting (not even turning over)(like there is a hard stop on any attempt to start the engine) a common occurrence with these two codes?

P2281 - Air leak between MAF and throttle body
    P20EE - SCR NOx Catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 1

doing research it appears there are a lot of possible causes for the P2281 code. I have looked for obstructions, cleaned the IAT, MAF, and MAP sensors.
    I have not yet looked into the SCR NOx Catalyst yet. that's a little over my head.

Just wondering if others have had the same experience and ended up buy a new SCR?

Thanks for any support or comments

SAM
    What year
    What Mods
    Mileage on truck?

Crystal ball is at the cleaners

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Likes RogueDiesel, david3gen liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Hi Polaraco,

Sorry I didn't post this info in the original post.

2013 2500 Ram 4x4 ST 8' bed crew cab 6.7 cummins turbo diesel

no modification, straight stock truck.

Mileage is 56,000

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Hi Polaraco,

Mileage is 56,000
    Your just at the point for emission problems. Time for some loving from @Double R Diesel.

"The grass is greener where you water it"

9. Thanks theaaronbush thanked for this post
    Likes theaaronbush liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTACUMMINS View Post
    Your just at the point for emission problems. Time for some loving from @Double R Diesel.

I honestly think he’s 55,900 miles overdue!

2012 Ram 2500, 4x4, 3.73, 5” lift, 35" tires, Pure Performance TB, 5100s, 4" FloPro TBE, EGR valve/cooler/throttle delete, S&B CAI, GDP heater delete, GDP S2 air horn, Bestop Powerboards, RaceME Ultra Warp Tuning by DRD

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, FarmerJohn104 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Hi Polaraco,

Mileage is 56,000
    You have a problem. Can you clear codes?

You can try loosening the flange before the NOX. That's probably the leak they are talking about. The NOX could be shot.

I urge you to call the dealer for this

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Hi All,

I hope everyone had a great Christmas Holiday. As to not leave a thread hanging... I have put the truck in a shop of professional diesel mechanics. Due to the Christmas holiday however it has not been looked at as of yet. I will post again as soon as I here back from the shop.

Thanks and I wish everyone a Happy New Year!

SAM

14. Likes Power247 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Hi All,
    Got the truck back from the shop. They Cleared all the trouble codes and got the truck to start. The cause of the engine not starting was due to a "dead" spot in the starter. Has me a bit concerned that the truck isn't all that old and the starter has already gone bad. The OEM starter was in the range of $1300 to get it new... so i ended up going with a rebuilt after market starter for a lot less $$$. After all the repairs were finished the shop told me there was only one other Stored code that they were bring up and it was loss / interruption of power to the ECM. They were monitoring for a bit but could not see any issues.

I know my truck does cycle through power drops when it is started for about 2-3 minutes. The voltage will drop to around 10-11 volts then shoot up to 14-15 volts. It levels out out after 2-3 minutes. Not sure if this is normal or not.

Till next time.

Thanks SAM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast