Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Power Steering cap missing

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Power Steering cap missing

I just did a bunch of work on my, new to me, 2012 Ram 3500 Cummins. I went for a test drive to check out everything and when I got back my power steering pump cap was gone! It must have blown off. Is this still an issue with these trucks? Where can I get one for reasonable money? Does anyone know the correct part #, I have seen a couple and not sure which is correct.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Power Steering cap missing

Quote Originally Posted by ywgbandit View Post
    I just did a bunch of work on my, new to me, 2012 Ram 3500 Cummins. I went for a test drive to check out everything and when I got back my power steering pump cap was gone! It must have blown off. Is this still an issue with these trucks? Where can I get one for reasonable money? Does anyone know the correct part #, I have seen a couple and not sure which is correct.
    Go to the dealer or a bone yard.

The only reason I can think of it coming off would be no venting, which is in the cap. But if it blew the cap off, you'd have fluid all over the place. BTW That's ATF4

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I've seen those things at places like AutoZone and such.
    And could it be that it might have not been installed properly ?
    (Its happened to many ...... called 'human error' .. I've had that affliction over my lifetime)

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    Yeah Maybe! Never thought of them for that. Good call

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I can't find the cap for a 2012 at Gens's so I fired them off an e-mail. Different reservoir for gas and diesel and I'm not sure the caps are all compatible. When you look up the part they don't tell you which is which. I was told the part # is 05154369AA but can't confirm that's the correct one for a diesel.

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

So I had to buy a cap from the local Stealer, because I can't wait the 7 - 10 days to get one from J.C. Whitney. Geno's got back to me and said they don't carry the power steering reservoir cap for the 2010 to 2012 models. I paid $42.00 plus taxes to the dealer for a piece of plastic and it's still not vented. They have a hole in the cap below the seal, but it doesn't vent to atmosphere. I drilled 2 very small holes in the center white plastic piece above the O ring seal and it's now vented but protected by the Black part of the cap. I also lock wired the cap to my intake so it it does blow off I know where it is!
    1st photo shows the factory vent hole below the O-ring, which I couldn't blow air thru.
    2nd photo shows it lock wired to my intake boot clamp
    3rd photo shows the lock wire thru the edge of the cap but not on inside of the cap. No venting thru those holes.
    4th & 5th photo's show the two small holes I drilled above the O-ring.

Attached Images Attached Images