Likes Likes:  39
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Oil change time frame and mileage

1. Top Of Page | #31
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Oil change time frame and mileage

Quote Originally Posted by ywgbandit View Post
    I found the website that explains the 2 stage filter. Here is the youtube link: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=efAsM8kRuYo) Apparently the filter that will fit the 5.9/6.7 Cummins is a Fleetguard LF9028, but I'd like to confirm that with someone who knows for sure. Any additional information on this would be greatly appreciated.

I do agree Feetguard is a quality filter. And it said it filters down to 5 microns in the final stage and puts back into the engine. My only question is if there is enough trash in the oil to be filter during this filters life, is there enough capacity to capture all this, or better to ask how much will it hold, before the filter is plugged and the oil is running on the main filters bypass, and no filtering is done ?

So until I can find this out, I'll stay with the main 'and' the bypass unit. There is nothing on my truck, or others that I know of that will tell me when I'm filtering or bypassed on my main oil flow.

I'm to old and picky, very set in my way, I want my oil filtered at all times ..... period.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

2. Likes FarmerJohn104, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #32

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper59 View Post
    I run Delo per Cummins, and factory Cummins/Mopar oil Filters...
    The factory CUMMINS Mopar filter is made by Fleetguard bud

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

4. Thanks Reaper59 thanked for this post
    Likes Reaper59 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #33

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    I do agree Feetguard is a quality filter. And it said it filters down to 5 microns in the final stage and puts back into the engine. My only question is if there is enough trash in the oil to be filter during this filters life, is there enough capacity to capture all this, or better to ask how much will it hold, before the filter is plugged and the oil is running on the main filters bypass, and no filtering is done ?

So until I can find this out, I'll stay with the main 'and' the bypass unit. There is nothing on my truck, or others that I know of that will tell me when I'm filtering or bypassed on my main oil flow.

I'm to old and picky, very set in my way, I want my oil filtered at all times ..... period.
    Not sure you are getting the way the filter works.The two filter elements are not in series, they run in parallel. The main filter media is made of the same StrataPore material as the single stage regular FleetGuard filter is made of and filters approximately 95% of the oil per pass, all the time. It's 100% efficient down to 30 microns. The built in bypass filter media filters about 5% of the oil down to 5 microns per pass. This two stage filter works just like a regular filter and an outboard bypass filter like the Amsoil kit, but without the outboard supply and return oil lines and the potential leaks. The Amsoil bypass kit filters down to 2 microns I believe, which is better, but it also cost $400.00 and uses a $60.00 filter. This filter is $31.00 on Amazon and is said to double the OCI. This same filter is used on a diesel refer engine with a 12 gallon oil capacity, so it has the ability to filter a lot of oil!

6. Top Of Page | #34
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I did misinterpet the flow of the filter. And I'm not saying it is a bad filter.

But I've always kept the two seperate. If the bypass plugs, nt big deal the main is going. If the main plugs, it is still going through the bypass (about 10% of total flow) and the rest is going through the main bypass. The main filter is always changed at the 5k mark, just a me thing. The Amsoil bypass is changed with up to 60k. The small one is the EaBP90 is good to 60k and is $40 through Amsoil without discounts or saving more through Amazon. The EaBP 120 is good for 120k. And yes, some bypass units are up there in price, but a homemade ones are way less. As to weak points, its only as weak as you are cheap in spending for the material to make them. If they are rubber, I recommend rubbing a silicone cleaner on them to protect them everytime you change the filters. My bypass unit is over 10 years old and doing fine.

I believ this is more of a preference thing. And one must chose what they think is best for them. Either one can be good.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

7. Likes SyN liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234