Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4th gen Super Dim Headlights!

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

4th gen Super Dim Headlights!

Hey all! Looking for some advice or insight with my problem here.
    Problem is I have SUPER SUPER dim headlights.. Like almost seem to not even be on with the low beams! Kind of give the road a slight "sepia" tone but no light output hardly at all... All other lights in truck work fine.

With the high beams on, its about as much light output as my old trucks low beams! I ride around high beams 100% since ive owned he truck and haven't been blinked by on coming traffic once!

The headlights are aftermarket black housing, on the truck when I bought it. They seem to have a new plug spliced in for the headlight, guessing they weren't plug and play... Wire colors are different though. Use stock bulb

What I've tried so far:
    Adjusted headlights to be aimed up higher, high beams work more efficiently now but still of low beam output and sepia toned low output in low beams..
    Put in silverstar ultras. Literally did nothing except whiten the high beams a little. Nothing for output or my eyes..
    Cleaned and buffed the lenses of the headlight as they had some surface scratches.. Did nothing except clean the lens..
    Cleaned a few grounds I could find on the fender. No difference
    Checked all fuses in the box and connections

Questions:

Does anyone know of all the grounds for the headlights? I sanded and regrounded the fender ones but I'm sure there's probably more

Has anyone had any tpms problem with headlights with these wih aftermarket headlights? Or possibly the headlight switch in the cab itself??

Is it possible these headlights are wired wrong? Everything works as its should in that the right lights turn on when its respective switch is engaged... Which color factory wires go to which spot on the plug? I'll remove the tape and check their path with that information.

I know I need to check voltage to the bulb but need to get a voltometer and a quiick lesson on how to use it To my limited electrical knowledge it sounds like a bad ground or a headlight switch problem but I wanted to see what others say... I read that it may be ground triggered or fed or something? Beyond my scope. LOL. Gonna buy and hook up a LED light bar to use intermittently as my "high beams"...

Thanks all

2. Top Of Page | #2
    You need to use a multimeter to check the wiring or you might be wasting time. Find a problem, verify the problem and fix the problem.

Aftermarket housings are junk. The reflectors are terrible. Get OEM headlights or do a retrofit.

3. Thanks DodgeDiesel thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Yea. Thats next on the list is to check the voltages. The aftermarket housing seems to be in good shape and I don't know that bad reflectors would cause this amount of lumen loss.. I can literally look right into my headlight with my eyes 6" away from it...
    i thought about retrofits but idk if I want just a single HID in my dual headlight to do highs and lows.
    Ideally I'd love a set of black housing quads retrofitted with HID lows and halogen highs.. With the colormorph light accent! Under $400 ideally...

Any idea where the grounds are?
    Anyone know how to get the headlight switch out as well?

5. Top Of Page | #4
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgeDiesel View Post
    Yea. Thats next on the list is to check the voltages. The aftermarket housing seems to be in good shape and I don't know that bad reflectors would cause this amount of lumen loss.. I can literally look right into my headlight with my eyes 6" away from it...
    i thought about retrofits but idk if I want just a single HID in my dual headlight to do highs and lows.
    Ideally I'd love a set of black housing quads retrofitted with HID lows and halogen highs.. With the colormorph light accent! Under $400 ideally...

Any idea where the grounds are?
    Anyone know how to get the headlight switch out as well?
    You're actually better of with a single bulb setup for doing a retrofit. You have more room for MH1 7.0 projectors. They are bi xenon so you won't loose high beams. And they will be better than quads with halogen highs. And you could do it under 400.

Check ground and power at the headlight plug. Check for voltage drop at the plug as well.

6. Thanks DodgeDiesel thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Have you pulled the tape off to look at the splices? Do you have any flicker or are they just dim? I'm betting that they are just cheap eBay headlights with sucky output. I totally reccomed a projector Retrofit. I used DDM projectors and HIDs and they are awesome.

Greg
    2012 | 2500 | CCLB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

8. Thanks DodgeDiesel thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! I haven't checked the splices yet.. Hate pulling the grill and headlights out just to get to the bulbs and plugs! Horrible design.
    Yea, hopefully whenever it warms up a little ill break back into it and pull that tape off and check.. No flicker, and everything works as it should. Just dim. Weird
    Thanks for the input... I'll check out those 7.0's and the ddm's. Was gonna try and fix them first but if i cant track down a problem, HID it is...

Anyone know/remember which factory wire colors go to which spot on the bulb plug?

10. Top Of Page | #7
    No DDM.

www.theretrofitsource.com is where you want to go.

11. Thanks DodgeDiesel thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Have you pulled the light unit from the headlight assembly and check to see if it lights are as dim ourtside the housing as when in the housing ?
    If they are brighter, then it is the headlight assembly you need to check into.
    If just as dim, then it's the bulb unit, or if not, then the wiring, and then switch you need to look at.

I hate electrical issues, but without checking each portion/section of the assembly, it sounds like your assessing the entire unit and trying to come to a conclusion.
    But assessing each section indivigually first, you can find the specific area to address and correct only what is wrong, instead of assessing the entire truck and fixing the entire truck.
    The old saying: one step at a time to get where you want to go ... quicker.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

13. Thanks DodgeDiesel thanked for this post
    Likes E.mccarthy7018, turboguy327 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Hey. I never actually thought about trying the bulbs out of the assembly actually. Probably because I buffed and cleaned the headlights first and thought that eliminated the housing problem step. I'll gove that a shot before I start checking everything else.

Thanks turbo. I've been on that site a good bit researching... Theres soo many more projectors and HID's then I ever knew..
    how about some of the aftermarket ANZO's or Spec-d's with their HID's? Ive read alot of good reviews and a few bad ones as well..

15. Top Of Page | #10
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgeDiesel View Post
    Hey. I never actually thought about trying the bulbs out of the assembly actually. Probably because I buffed and cleaned the headlights first and thought that eliminated the housing problem step. I'll gove that a shot before I start checking everything else.

Thanks turbo. I've been on that site a good bit researching... Theres soo many more projectors and HID's then I ever knew..
    how about some of the aftermarket ANZO's or Spec-d's with their HID's? Ive read alot of good reviews and a few bad ones as well..
    They are terrible quality, both build quality and light output.

16. Thanks DodgeDiesel thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast