Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Front End Follow Up, Steering Box Support

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Front End Follow Up, Steering Box Support

I had some steering issues a while back with my 2012 RAM 3500. It seemed to wander from the centerline to the shoulder constantly needing correction. I took it to a very reputable shop and had upper and lower ball joints as well as a number of other parts replaced to the tune of $1200.00. When I got the truck back the issue was somewhat better but not solved. The truck still needed constant steering correction. I read up about this on this forum and decided to try a steering box brace. Seeing as I live in Canada and was in Abbotsford, BC area I decided to stop by the BD Diesel shop and pick up their Steering Box Stabilizer Bar. Installation took less than an hour and I have to say I'm totally amazed at what a difference this simple support made. No more wandering from centerline to shoulder. I can actually relax and hold a line. I just came back from a 1500 mile trip and have to say this device works! There are probably other equally effective makes, and I'm not pushing the BD brand, but if you have this issue you should consider this type of solution. My problem got a lot worse when I went from the stock LT265/70 R17 tires to the LT285/75R17E Cooper AT3's. The problem is now solved and the issue is gone.

2. Likes Power247, walla2k5, TJB liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Front End Follow Up, Steering Box Support

Although I installed a different manufactures steering box brace, it was a preventive measure. Glad your issues are gone, it's good to hear positive feedback on products.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

4. Likes Power247 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by walla2k5 View Post
    Although I installed a different manufactures steering box brace, it was a preventive measure. Glad your issues are gone, it's good to hear positive feedback on products.
    I'm curious as to what kit you installed and what it cost? I'm super happy with my results and this is something I would recommend to others. I like to have alternatives.

6. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I installed a Hell Bent Steel steering brace when I did my lift. It is a well made product, fit well and installed easy. I did not notice any change but didn't expect to. I added it as a preventative measure, with the drop pitman arm, larger tires and increased angles plus the stories of problems it seemed like good idea. I paid $95 on Amazon, with free shipping.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

8. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ywgbandit View Post
    I'm curious as to what kit you installed and what it cost? I'm super happy with my results and this is something I would recommend to others. I like to have alternatives.
    I went with the Hell Bent Steel brace, like @BrentM. I wasn't having any issues yet, but as a prevention measure I thought it was a good deal. As stated previously, they seem to have a well made product.

https://www.hellbentsteel.com/shop/d...ga-cab-models/

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

10. Likes Power247 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Hell Bent makes some very nice stuff

Only company that makes stuff heavier is LazarSmith. Their stuff costs a bit more though

12. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I put a Synergy T-style steering linkage on my son's '01 this summer, made a huge difference.

2011 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 68RFE

14. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Glad your issue is fixed, safer driving experience that way. But I'd like to mention that some of the slight puling to the shoulder of the road can be from the road design. It usually isn't that noticeable because the slight angle of the roads are normally design to roll water off to the shoulder clearing the lanes of hydroplaning. My son spent a lot of money thinking the steering was the problem, but after we talked, he found out they graded the road more than normal since that area received a lot of rain and there was plenty of accidents in the past. Just thought I'd mention it.

I installed one from Sinister Diesel, but bought it off a friend who lost his truck in an accident ... and it cost me a B-B-Q dinner and a few drinks.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan