Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Question about coolant temp

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Cool Question about coolant temp

I tow avg 3-4 trailers per week from 10k-18k. Towed a 40ft bumper pull today 13.9k from Sidney NB to Dallas Tx... the wind was really bad. So, I started out about 4am and everything was fine.. ran into some wind then some more.. I'm usually able to tow around 70mph with no problems using cruise control.. I never really got much over 70 or did it stay there.. the boost was running 20 most of the time and the exhaust temp around 12 , if I tried to speed up after engaging some wind gush or going up in elavation the exhaust temp would go up but more importantly the coolant temp would spike about 3/4 on the guage. I could lock the trans in 5th and keep 60 -65 and the temps would go down. I have a 4 in exhaust, sb cold air, pusher intake, and head studs thats about it for eng mods.. EFI cal with tow loaded. Oh,, I used a boat load of fuel.. I personally believe that it was all because of the elevation and wind but wanted to get some input...

Oh,,, I have a speed steed manifold waiting on a 63 67 tater turbo.. which should be in by next week.

2. Likes david3gen liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Question about coolant temp

EGT's are too high. You're lugging it too much. What rear do you have? 373's? 342's? Are you on stock tires?

Down shifting was the right thing to do and should have answered your question. I'm over geared for my loads too. I just kick it out of OD and problem solved

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Likes walla2k5, david3gen, SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I can tell you my experience pulling a 15k fifth wheel. RaceMe Ultra with stock power and tranny tune, EGR and cooler delete, 4” exhaust turbo back with stock muffler. I usually tow in fifth gear at 60-65 mph mostly due to the ST tires on the fiver being speed rated at 65 mph. With a headwind I struggle to keep EGT’s in check - sometimes just have to back off a bit. I see EGT’s in the 1100 ranges under those circumstances (probe is mounted in the rear cooler block-off plate so it’s really around 1300) and that’s when I back out of it a bit. Coolant runs around 206-208 unless I’m pulling a long grade, when it’ll creep up to 217, at which point the fan clutch engages. In August, we left Missoula, MT, on US-93. There is a mountain pass that, when you reach the highest point, you’re in Idaho. No wind that day. Wound up in third gear, 45 mph to keep EGT’s down. Coolant temp fluctuated between 210-217, depending on whether or not the fan clutch was engaged, and tranny temp was 197 when we reached the summit. Pulled into the Idaho Welcome Station to let things cool off a bit (especially the tranny - those temps worry me almost as much as EGT’s). In my opinion, what you’re seeing is normal, especially the fuel mileage when pulling in wind. I’m lucky to see 8 mpg towing in wind - otherwise get 12-13 mpg when towing.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replys,, Yes I have 3,73 and stock 17" wheels. Main reason for question is this hasn t happened before at this degree of temp change or downshifting again I believe this was due to the design of the trailer and the wind.. RV is a square box with hign nose not like a 5ther .
    And most of the time I'm at 10-12 mp gallon ,, but on this one Im at 8

8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I pulled our camper to the VA mountains this summer. It's nothing like what you guys are doing but I still had to drop to 5th to keep everything in check. Once I did it was smooth sailing.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

The truck should have a 190° thermostat which opens at 190° and isn't full open until 207°. It can run up to 225° before you're making more heat than can the cooling system can handle.

The OEM gauge sucks for knowing exactly where you are at, but it could be close at about 3/4, but it could also be normal for the load/power requirements.

10. Thanks TH-64 thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

You guys must be working them hard.. I usually only see around 207 unless I'm loaded very heavy pulling a long grade. And I figured i towed the heaviest of most guys here

12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Capt543 View Post
    You guys must be working them hard.. I usually only see around 207 unless I'm loaded very heavy pulling a long grade. And I figured i towed the heaviest of most guys here
    Me too.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I run a stock 3500 Aisin 3.73s. When I’m pulling 13k-17k my coolant temp is between 195-203. When I pull 17k-22k it’s usually between 202-208 and that’s running at 70mph+ once I’m 22k-26k I keep it about 60-65mph only time my temp climbs is on long grades. Usually goes up to 217-219. Only time it’s gone above 220 was during peak summer driving in Nevada and Arizona mountains it got up to 230 for a bit so I backed down in speed and it dropped back to normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I was worried the first time I saw my coolant hit 215! Also my oil temp runs in the 217 range while pulling heavy. Guess my temps are ok after reading these!

15. Thanks Diesel307 thanked for this post