Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a/c questions

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

a/c questions

hello fellas im new to this forum thing so hopefully Im doing this right LOL, anyways I bought a 2012 with 27,000 miles on it a couple of months ago and ever since I owned the truck sometimes the a/c doesn't want to kick in while idling, ive read somewhere its because the fan clutch isn't kicking in and since ive added the race me ultra and can monitor fan speed I can confirm that sometimes fan clutch is not engaged, does anyone know the issue with? any help is greatly appreciated

sinister egr/throttle delete, afe stage 2 si, turbo back flow pro straight 4'', race me ultra custom tuned by DRD!

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: a/c questions

Quote Originally Posted by Echo3Wolfe View Post
    hello fellas im new to this forum thing so hopefully Im doing this right LOL, anyways I bought a 2012 with 27,000 miles on it a couple of months ago and ever since I owned the truck sometimes the a/c doesn't want to kick in while idling, ive read somewhere its because the fan clutch isn't kicking in and since ive added the race me ultra and can monitor fan speed I can confirm that sometimes fan clutch is not engaged, does anyone know the issue with? any help is greatly appreciated
    Have you checked the pressures on the A/C system? Mine was like that earlier this year, I was low on refrigerant. Filled it up and it's blowing cold.

2011 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 68RFE

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Yeah had the refrigerant checked its good also it doesn't do this all the time but something is keeping the fan clutch from kicking in. Some days usually when the outside temp is above 90° is when it does it the most but not every time, dealership says it's performing as it should and it's had the harness upgrade, so I'm lost

sinister egr/throttle delete, afe stage 2 si, turbo back flow pro straight 4'', race me ultra custom tuned by DRD!

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

My 2012 does the same thing...my refrigerant checked good as well. Following!

2012 Ram 2500, 4x4, 3.73, 3" level, 35" tires, 4" FloPro TBE, EGR valve/cooler/throttle delete, S&B CAI, GDP heater delete, GDP S2 air horn, RaceME Ultra Warp Tuning

5. Likes Echo3Wolfe liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #5

if there is high humidity then its possible ice can form in the evaporator core. There is usually a freeze switch in the core and it could be cutting the AC clutch in/out to stop this happening.

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I would agree but what I see happening is the fan clutch doesn't engage and the a/c sees high head pressure and the high pressure switch is taking out the compressor to save itself, the problem is the fan clutch is not engaging all the time so it's not drawing enough air across the condenser to lower the pressure until you drive and move air across the condenser then the a/c works fine. I just don't know what is keeping the fan clutch from engaging that's the problem. I thought I seen somewhere that it's possible to adjust fan speed with the race me ultra hopefully someone that knows ray at double r diesel will chime in and see if he knows

8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Ray made me a tow tune that turns the fan on at a lower coolant temp. Not sure that will help you while sitting still. Maybe a bad high pressure switch? Is your condenser free of bugs and debris? @Polarco uses electric fans.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Have you checked for any hidden codes? You can have codes and no indicator. There are 2 TPS's. One of them controls the fan and is redundant. It's a point to check out.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

10. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Echo3Wolfe View Post
    Any update on this? Same problem with my 2011. Only happens at idle and is intermittent. I have read that the new, superseded part number for the Fan Clutch, is updated to provide better fan speed at idle. New part is 68155609AB. I'm about to pull the trigger and buy one. But the dang thing is $400+ dollars.

I'm out. Switched back to gas!

11. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OverkillNeverFails View Post
    Any update on this? Same problem with my 2011. Only happens at idle and is intermittent. I have read that the new, superseded part number for the Fan Clutch, is updated to provide better fan speed at idle. New part is 68155609AB. I'm about to pull the trigger and buy one. But the dang thing is $400+ dollars.
    Well I bit the bullet and ordered the new part number fan clutch. Apparently nobody has any input, so I'll post my findings here, after install.

I'm out. Switched back to gas!

13. Likes ICT LPX, Power247, walla2k5, msormilic liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast