Thanks Thanks:  24
Likes Likes:  62
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Heeded!

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Help Heeded!

Ok....I'm stuck.

I have a 2014 Ram 3500 6.7 single cab dually. I have the MM3 tunner/delete from Ray ( I only use the tow mode). I installed complete exhaust from turbo back, S&B cold air intake, intake manifold, fass fuel system. I keep getting codes P06D3 Sensor reference voltage 5 circuit low, & P2121 Throttle/pedal pos sens/switch D circ range/perf. These codes only come up when I am towing. This started in August after I did the tune/delete. The truck ran fine until I did the delete.

What I did in August was checked wires for any chaffing, pinched or bare wires. I secured them away of any thing sharp or potential for heat. I installed a new Throttle with throttle position sensor. I test drove with the 5th wheel hooked up and pulled a couple of hills and it appeared to be ok.

Fast forward to today (Oct).
    I rechecked the wiring (3rd time) under the hood, down the exhaust, trailer plug, and under the dash. Checked connections on the module, and monitor.
    I did record the trip on the monitor when the truck acted up. I don't know how to access the recording.

Symptoms:
    Same symptoms. The truck runs fine empty. I had a load of 2300 pounds in the bed and did about 80 miles pulling a few hills and it ran fine. I hooked up a equipment trailer with a side x side (UTV) on it and drove about 100 miles pulling a few hills and it ran fine. I came back from that trip and was pulling a hill and the TPS gauge was jumping all over and the truck was cutting out and loss of power. The check engine light came on along with the red lightening bolt. I made it to the top of the hill and the truck started smoothing out and ran fine. I pulled over and cleared the codes (P06D3 Sensor reference voltage 5 circuit low, P2121 Throttle/pedal pos sensor/switch D circ range/perf). The red lightening bolt went out but the check engine light stayed on. The truck ran fine the rest of the trip. The check engine light went out the next day. So far it only acts up going up hill pulling a trailer.

Well before the tuner was installed the integrated trailer brake went out. I installed a aftermarket trailer brake (Tekonsha) and purchased the plug and play harness. The instructions said to go to the dealer to have the computer updated. I just plugged it in and it worked with no problems, so I didn't have the computer updated. I put on over 4000 miles trouble free. I don't know it the aftermarket electric trailer brake had anything to do with these symptoms so I replaced it with the original electric trailer brake module. I drove this morning with a loaded trailer and it acted up (TPS gauge was jumping all over and truck was loosing power and the codes came back on P06D3, P2121, P2122, P2127 along with the check engine light and red lightening bolt. I checked the voltage at the throttle sensor this morning with the key on and it read 5.0 volts.

I am at a loss on what to do.

I replaced the throttle position sensor/pedal in August.

Is it possible for the tuning module to be bad?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Thanks watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Help Heeded!

Have you contacted @DRD to see what his thoughts are on this?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Help Heeded!

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Have you contacted @DRD to see what his thoughts are on this?

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!
    Yes he did. And we are all at a loss here.

The codes suggest a faulty circuit somewhere in the mix.

The last thing we did was sending a tune file that would kill those codes just to see if that would stop the limp mode...and we haven't heard any feedback from him.

Ray,
    Double R Diesel

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Help Heeded!

Yes.

He tried to help but I still have the same symptoms.

7. Thanks watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Help Heeded!

I don't think I would contribute this to the tuning.

Maybe try to monitor your throttle position on the MM3.

Does it compare to your foot position? I know you said you replaced the TPS (APPS) but it sounds like something is still going on there.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, 3" BDS Coil over, DuraFlap, 68RFE, 4.10, 35s, Front receiver, Krown protected

9. Thanks cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Help Heeded!

I didn't say it was the tunes fault. It started acting up after I tuned it.
    I have been monitoring the TP%. It is reading fine, then it starts acting up by going to zero and all over the place and the truck looses power.

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    I don't think I would contribute this to the tuning.

Maybe try to monitor your throttle position on the MM3.

Does it compare to your foot position? I know you said you replaced the TPS (APPS) but it sounds like something is still going on there.

11. Thanks cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Help Heeded!

So Ray, here is an update. I spent the last couple of days looking at wiring and didn't find anything. I cleaned 3 grounds on the inner fenders, 1 from engine to cab underneath, 1 on the frame. I have not cleaned the grounds from the battery to the engine yet. I had the batteries checked and one was bad so I replaced them. I test drove the truck and same symptoms. I came back and installed the tune you sent me deleting the two codes and the truck did better, but, the TP% gauge will jump rapidly pulling a hill but not as drastic as before. I did record what's going on on the tuner if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by DRD View Post
    Yes he did. And we are all at a loss here.

The codes suggest a faulty circuit somewhere in the mix.

The last thing we did was sending a tune file that would kill those codes just to see if that would stop the limp mode...and we haven't heard any feedback from him.

Ray,
    Double R Diesel

13. Thanks watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Help Heeded!

Quote Originally Posted by Emisis View Post
    So Ray, here is an update. I spent the last couple of days looking at wiring and didn't find anything. I cleaned 3 grounds on the inner fenders, 1 from engine to cab underneath, 1 on the frame. I have not cleaned the grounds from the battery to the engine yet. I had the batteries checked and one was bad so I replaced them. I test drove the truck and same symptoms. I came back and installed the tune you sent me deleting the two codes and the truck did better, but, the TP% gauge will jump rapidly pulling a hill but not as drastic as before. I did record what's going on on the tuner if that helps.
    If the throttle position as shown on your tuner is not seeming to match what is going on pedal wise, then that tells me there is issue with the truck. No other way to explain it because we leave the accelerator pedal position conversion maps completely stock in all of tunes.

Do you have a pedal commander or any kind of throttle boosting device installed?

Ray,
    Double R Diesel

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

15. Thanks cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Help Heeded!

No. All stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRD View Post
    If the throttle position as shown on your tuner is not seeming to match what is going on pedal wise, then that tells me there is issue with the truck. No other way to explain it because we leave the accelerator pedal position conversion maps completely stock in all of tunes.

Do you have a pedal commander or any kind of throttle boosting device installed?

Ray,
    Double R Diesel

17. Thanks cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Help Heeded!

Quote Originally Posted by Emisis View Post
    No. All stock.
    Roger sir. At this time I've covered all I know to cover. However I'll keep my thinking cap on.

Ray,
    Double R Diesel

19. Thanks watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast