Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member in a dilemma with my Cummins

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

New member in a dilemma with my Cummins

Hey GUys

So I had my comments for about three years I bought it with 30,000 miles and now I have 260,000 miles it’s a big horn edition 2016
    I have been blessed with this truck as thank God I never had any problems just regular maintenance.

I did all these miles in about three years and all the miles were towing I tow about an average 10 to 15,000 pounds

Those of you with higher miles or similar to mine what kind of repairs are expected and what is the likelihood to be stranded on the side of the road

I was thinking about just trading it in and starting all over with another truck that has 20 to 30,000 miles obviously I’m going to be upside down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes david3gen liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: New member in a dilemma with my Cummins

Starting over some times is a good thing.

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

4. Top Of Page | #3
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

@LudjakR1

are you sure you want to change it out ?
    I'd suggest keep it until she dies and put cash away until then.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

5. Likes david3gen liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

The new ones are just so expensive. I bought mine with 30k for 40k otd big horn nice options

I do want new model maybe wait till they have some miles on them

They told me mine is worth 20k now. I just did brand new tires shocks and breaks

My biggest fear is breakdown somewhere 500 miles away from home. That’s really the only reason

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Welcome @LudjakR1

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LudjakR1 View Post
    Hey GUys

So I had my comments for about three years I bought it with 30,000 miles and now I have 260,000 miles it’s a big horn edition 2016
    I have been blessed with this truck as thank God I never had any problems just regular maintenance.

I did all these miles in about three years and all the miles were towing I tow about an average 10 to 15,000 pounds

Those of you with higher miles or similar to mine what kind of repairs are expected and what is the likelihood to be stranded on the side of the road

I was thinking about just trading it in and starting all over with another truck that has 20 to 30,000 miles obviously I’m going to be upside down

Have you had issues? IMO if you kept up with maintenance then keep it going. These trucks are ment for miles especially the motors and drivetrain. You may need injectors or turbo if those items haven’t been addressed but they are much cheaper than a new truck and payment

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Have you had issues? IMO if you kept up with maintenance then keep it going. These trucks are ment for miles especially the motors and drivetrain. You may need injectors or turbo if those items haven’t been addressed but they are much cheaper than a new truck and payment
    No I haven’t had any issues just maintaining it that’s it

10. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

So in 3 years, you are averaging around 6300 miles a month driven. So I’m assuming your job or Business is hauling. So Have you checked with whom ever does yourtaxes. There are many write offs and kick backs and depreciation factors with income taxes on a vehicle. If you are concerned of a major breakdown away from home. Not sure if you are doing hot shots but. If your driving the same routes for your job. Start looking now for service and repair areas on those routes. Talk to your insurance and see how much themax distance they will tow.

Everyone’s insurance is diff. My insurance does a max of 150 miles per customers request and not just to the nearest repair facility. Save up a nest egg for future repairs.

I would recommend if you are planning or continue this line of work. Your next vehicle should be a plan jane model with higher miles.

Upfront cost is not as much and when a couple years go by you can get into another plan jane.

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

11. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LudjakR1 View Post
    Hey GUys

I've been doing HS work since 1982, the business has changed a lot over those years - only about 35% of our loads are true HS loads the rest are partials but even with this years downturn we average $2.20/loaded mile. Sounds like you are getting loads because the miles on your truck so you must be generating revenue.

We hold back .45/mile for replacement of the trucks and trailers. Our rolling operating cost is $1.55/mile loaded and 1.25 deadhead, not including taxes and insurance. The model is built on 200k for the pickups and 100k for the trailers. if you do this you will have 90k to buy a new pickup and trailer every 200k miles. It takes discipline and sometimes you eb up or down but it will be close if you stick to it.

So if you are buying a used truck with 40k on it - that mileage represents $10k in profit you would have generated on those miles with a new truck vs the used one - so if a new one is only 10k more it is a wash. It is hard to find good used 3500/4500/5500 trucks spec'd correctly that have been taken care of so we tend to buy new ourselves. About November you can get real good deals if you don't care about color ect.

My concern is you say you are "upside down" in your truck now. You got to ask yourself if continuing to go further in debt to haul freight is worth it if you are in debt at the end of the day and your truck is worn out. It is a common occurrence these days as everyone is trying to do HS work because it looks easy. There are an abundance of stupid video bloggers on u tube who will be broke at the end - and they are telling everyone how to do this and how much they are making - LMAO. I sold the business last year and the guy was broke in 8 months and owed me 30k - he had 40 years in trucking so anybody can fail at this HS stuff, it is not an easy business.

We have historically run trucks to 230-250k and replaced. The new emissions systems have us rethinking that and we compared a 500k replacement model with no salvage value to the 200k model with 25k salvage value and if you are realistic and plan for some major repairs (injector-turbo-trans at 300-350k) it pencils out positively. We are going that direction with one 2014 3500 to see if it is worth it in real life. Emissions repairs are coming to early in life cycle prompting us to look at this harder.

If you are interested PM me and I will help you with some numbers so you can make an educated decision. Numbers don't lie. You got to know your real operating cost or you cant really make money at this. A decent HS driver will make $60-75k a year driving for someone and not have any debt or risk associated with the job, something to consider also. Let me know if I can help and good luck.

Jim

12. Thanks Bayougrizz thanked for this post
    Likes InlineSix.7, CAPTAJR liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    @LudjakR1

are you sure you want to change it out ?
    I'd suggest keep it until she dies and put cash away until then.
    Just keep up on the maintenance items. You might want to get some of the Archoil friction modifier and put it in the diffs. Engine too and the trans if it's a manual.

Keep in mind, "Heat Kills" so keep things cool. The friction modified will reduce the diff temps like 20 degrees. I checked mine unloaded with a laser. Injectors are typical at around your mileage. Be very carefull what you get when they are done. Don't buy by price unless they are new.

The good thing is it's all highway

I could go on all day, but you get the drift.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast