Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sudden unexplained coolant spike!!!

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Sudden unexplained coolant spike!!!

It was to the top of the full mark not "completely" full. After sitting between 12 noon and 5 PM it went to halfway between min and max mark.

Now 28 mins idling and at 172 with 21 C outside. Dodge temp gauge is at 1/4. Unfortunately, at that point I had to get back into work so I have no idea how high it may have went.

How can I test to see if it is a weak spot

The only practical use for that pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should not have dropped in the first place!!

2012 Ram 3500 6.7 HO Black QC SB - Full EGR/DPF Delete, 4" Flow Pro Turbo Back - FASS Titanium 150 with sump and fuel heater - Awesome Double R Tune

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Anyone, anything??

The only practical use for that pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should not have dropped in the first place!!

2012 Ram 3500 6.7 HO Black QC SB - Full EGR/DPF Delete, 4" Flow Pro Turbo Back - FASS Titanium 150 with sump and fuel heater - Awesome Double R Tune

3. Top Of Page | #13
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Ok, so that prob isn't the cause. The puke bottle will fluctuate with temperatures. If you lifted the head it woulda been full full if not pushing coolant out the top.

4. Top Of Page | #14
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quick easy check will be the thermostat, then check the radiator itself

5. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Nope...defiantly not overflowing or over the max mark. After it sat for 5 hours it was midway between min and max.

Is it possible that the truck ran cooler stock than it does now after the deletes? Is it possible that I've not noticed it because I had the truck deleted it in September which is the start of our winter. Is it possible that now the ambient temp is warmer the truck is fluctuating and having trouble staying as cool as it did last week?

6. Top Of Page | #16
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

That's all very possible. My 09 ran pretty steady at 196, but that was mine and up in the Rocky Mountains.

7. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

I'm actually in the Rocky Mountains as well but the Canadian version hahaha.

I'm VERY glad to hear you and everyone else does not think its the HG....big load off my mind!!! No fluid seems to be leaking....externally at least. I guess I'll have to see what happens on the way home. I'll deliberately try to see what happens if I step on it in order to determine how far past 210 it will go. Just seems weird that there has been such a drastic change

I am also nervous as I am supposed to be leaving Wednesday with my 12,000 lb trailer for a three hour pull.

8. Top Of Page | #18
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Let it warm up and cycle the tstat a few times then try it. I'm betting that's just where your truck runs.

9. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gsxrgrizz View Post
    I am hoping someone here can help me out with a situation that developed this morning....

I have a 2012 Ram 3500 6.7 Laramie with an EGR/DPF delete and a 4" Flo Pro cat back exhaust that was done professionally last September and use an Edge CTS monitor to keep an eye on it all. Since the delete, once at operating temp, I am at 201 degrees all the time like clockwork!! Today I was driving to work and pulled out to pass someone using about 1/2 throttle. About 5-6 seconds after stepping on the gas my coolant temp spiked to 210 and set off the alarm. I immediately let off the gas and it went back down to 201. From there, every time I stepped on the throttle the temp would climb. If I just maintained the speed, it would stay at 201. The manual gauge on the truck did not appear to move off the 1/2 mark but I'm not sure I would see a 10 degree climb. Any ideas on what this could be?? I checked the coolant bottle when I got to work and it was completely full. Thanks for the help!!!

Cheers,
    Dean
    Dean

This may not be the case for you, but I've had similar things to happen on my 2012.

In a nutshell, the cooling systems on our trucks are actually very efficient and so much so that when cruising around with no load on the truck, the thermostat may only be barely open. Then what happens when you throw the coals to it the coolant temperature will spike briefly before the thermostat can fully open and allow cooled coolant from the radiator to circulate. I've been riding down the road before and floored it...and then saw my coolant hit 215 very very briefly. The tell tell sign it was a thermostat cycle was the quick fall down to 195 or so and then bouncing back to around 203 before leveling back off.

Really don't think you've got any worries here.

Now I will mention that I had some weird fluctuations in temperature a while back that was accompanied by a rattle on my accessory drive up front on the engine. I never lost any coolant, but my water pump bearings had started to fail...but that was an easy fix to replace.

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

10. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Thanks buddy, that makes me feel way better!!! I'll try to play with it tonight on the way home after my shift and see what happens. Like I said I intensionally babied it as I was not sure what it was and the alarm was going nuts!!!

It's just weird as the temp has been rock solid until today. The only thing that has changed, as far as I know, is the ambient temperature but it's been this warm before (within a few degrees) outside and I did not notice any issues.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast