Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Bill Seeks $5,000 Fine for Rolling Coal

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Question New Bill Seeks $5,000 Fine for Rolling Coal

So what does everyone think about this new bill that could be coming? Are some people ruining it for us all? How does this make you feel as a diesel owner?

We know this will go viral since we have so many members all over the county, but we wanted to hear your thoughts and concerns on this issue.

THANK YOU: IGOTACUMMINS.COM

If passed, a new bill will see drivers who are “rolling coal” fined up to $5,000.

Rolling coal, or rollin’ coal, is the act of modifying a diesel vehicle, usually a pickup truck, to spew black smoke and soot. The trend hit the mainstream in the summer of 2014 with numerous viral videos of truck drivers dumping large plumes of black soot on passers by.

While the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) already has laws that apply to tampering with a vehicle’s emission controls, Rep. Will Guzzardi from the Illinois General Assembly is proposing a new bill that would directly target coal rollers.

The bill seeks to amend the current Environmental Protection Act and states that, “no person shall retrofit any diesel-powered vehicle with any device, smoke stack, or other equipment that enhances the vehicle’s capacity to emit soot, smoke, or other particulate emissions, or shall purposely release significant quantities of soot, smoke, or other particulate emissions into the air and onto roadways and other vehicles while operating the vehicle.”
    Under the new law the maximum fine would be $5,000.

"The grass is greener where you water it"

2. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

What you do at home, track or other private property should be no one else's business. Anyone the sticks their face in front of an exhaust pipe gets what they deserve.

But honestly, anyone who purposely rolls coal on a public roadway should have their license pulled. There is no reason for it. But I also believe it should be treated like speeding or any other driving violation. They should have to catch you in the act to give you the ticket. Owning a sports car doesn't mean you should get pulled over. Neither should having a diesel truck with an aftermarket exhaust...

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, F350Cummins, DRD thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, F350Cummins, DRD, Polaraco liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    What you do at home, track or other private property should be no one else's business. Anyone the sticks their face in front of an exhaust pipe gets what they deserve.

But honestly, anyone who purposely rolls coal on a public roadway should have their license pulled. There is no reason for it. But I also believe it should be treated like speeding or any other driving violation. They should have to catch you in the act to give you the ticket. Owning a sports car doesn't mean you should get pulled over. Neither should having a diesel truck with an aftermarket exhaust...
    Great points!

6. Thanks Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes Polaraco liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

The new generation of law makers will increasingly become less tolerant of diesel smoke. Unfortunately for diesel enthusiasts, laws like this will become more and more prevalent. As much as I hate to see this, I don't see this not happening.

I love the sound, sight, and smell of a unrestricted diesel engine. Having said that, in order us as enthusiasts to enjoy what we still have we must be respectful of the public eye and be responsible. Roll all the coal you want off the streets and at the track...but rolling coal in public arenas, especially as just plain being a nuisance or as a display of anarchy to big brothers, will bring our joys to halt very quickly...besides it's just plain wrong.

Technology is advancing and we can have smoke free diesel power...except tire smoke. We need to start embracing that ideology more and more. Things could be much worse for us than just fines for rolling coal and emissions tampering. I've read there's a push in Europe...particularly France to ban diesel powered vehicles period.

So let's enjoy what we still have and can do. But most importantly, let's be respectful and responsible.

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Power247 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Double R Diesel LLC View Post
    The new generation of law makers will increasingly become less tolerant of diesel smoke. Unfortunately for diesel enthusiasts, laws like this will become more and more prevalent. As much as I hate to see this, I don't see this not happening.

I love the sound, sight, and smell of a unrestricted diesel engine. Having said that, in order us as enthusiasts to enjoy what have still have we must be respectful of the public eye and be responsible. Roll all the coal you want off the streets and at the track...but rolling coal in public arenas, especially as just plain being a nuisance or as a display of anarchy to big brothers, will bring our joys to halt very quickly...besides it's just plain wrong.

Technology is advancing and we can have smoke free diesel power...except tire smoke. We need to start embracing that ideology more and more. Things could be much worse for us than just fines for rolling coal and emissions tampering. I've read there's a push in Europe...particularly France to ban diesel powered vehicles period.

So let's enjoy what we still have and can do. But most importantly, let's be respectful and responsible.
    Thanks for the input!

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I love the sound, sight, and smell of a unrestricted diesel engine. Having said that, in order us as enthusiasts to enjoy what we still have we must be respectful of the public eye and be responsible. Roll all the coal you want off the streets and at the track...but rolling coal in public arenas, especially as just plain being a nuisance or as a display of anarchy to big brothers, will bring our joys to halt very quickly...besides it's just plain wrong.

AMEN BROTHER

In pursuit of more power in which the wallet will allow mods to date. Edge Evolution, Banks Air Filter, 5" cat back Banks Monster exhaust, Billet built auto trans Triple disc TC, Derale trans cooler, Sinister coolant filter,5" aluminum drive shafts
    Gary

http://igotacummins.com/vbrides.php?...3#.VT-wuiFVhBc

11. Likes Power247 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post

100% agree. I have already been harrassed over this and it is insane. I totaled it up, 4 out of 5 days in 1 week, om y way to work and 3 days on my way home. My truck does not smoke at all. I have tried to get it to puff , and all I can get is a puff. They shoved a camera up the exhaust to verify I had a muffler, They said my MBRP Muffler delete pipe was apparently a muffler. and harrassed me. The worst stop was hours, as they requested a DOT inspector keep looking at every little detail trying to find a reason to ticket me. He stood in my defence in the harrasment case against that officer. It is a way for them to make money. They pulled me over for the 5" MBRP Tip that came with my 4" turbo back kit, as an "illegal mod to spew smoke"

It is over the top how it is being inforced. I agree with the law, but don't pull the innocent over and harrass them, just pull over those caught in the act.

On another note, I disagree with the Stacks being illegal. I know several farmers who had issues, trucks impounded and all over this. Hackettstown actually targeted them. The town farm auction (only one left in NJ) is on tuesdays, Hackettstown did a crack down on a tuesday on 1 of the 2 main access roads to the auction. 38 tickets issues 27 trucks impounded.

I will leave a TL/DR I agree with the law, not how it is being enforced.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

13. Likes Power247, Rockwerx liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I think it needs to be treated as a speeding ticket or close to that nature... its bull that they are going to try and fine $5k for a petty crime. I mean soot really isnt that bad as far as hurting the environment... but with that being said, I don't think kids should be spewing it all over public roads, there a time and place for it. like, racing now, I'm not saying I'm not guilty of it... I'll be honest, just last week and had a cute girl at the stop light wanting me to roll... so.. I did LOL. how could you say no to that?? but that's only the second time I've done it where I shouldn't have. but anyways.

These kids that spew it all the time, I.E. my good friend with a duramax with smoke/lope tune, spews it all the damn time. no matter how much everyone thinks the guy just looks like a frat boy trying to show off making him look like a dink. even after cops have wrote him tickets. people like him are the reason "We cant have nice things". If you do it, do it at the track, or out in the country where no one will see..

Thankfully where I live, the cops are awesome. I've had a few come up just to look and talk about the trucks because they really like them. that "buddy of mine" is going to ruin that real quick..

Rant over..

2004.5 Cummins 2500 SLT - Smarty s06 - FASS 150 With Heater Element - 4" Straight pipe exhaust 8" tip - Silencer Ring MIA - Banks intake - Skyjacker lift - 20" black rims wrapped with 35" terra grapplers - Rhino line two tone - Glow shift gauges - KC lights
    100k miles, gettin broke in

15. Likes Power247 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

As generations move along we seem to be generating more idiots and more pussies. The idiots make the smoke, and the pussies make laws. It's always the majority that pay for the handfull

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

17. Likes Power247, Rockwerx liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I love diesel engines of all kinds. The sound. The smell. Everything.

But I'm tired of the jacka$$es who pull up next to another vehicle at a stop light and smoke them out just because they have their window open and can experience the full effect. I've seen it more than once. It's childish.

I think the proposed fine is steep to send a clear message to diesel truck owners. The environmentalists have a strong voice in Washington, unfortunately. I wouldn't be surprised if even more diesel restrictions are in our future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast