Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  43
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MM3 Emission Tuning

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: MM3 Emission Tuning

In all fairness, if you have annual inspections and don't mind the work.

You're better off running deletes & putting the stock exhaust back on 1 day a year for inspection.

That would be the way I would go.

However, most new vehicles have 5-7 year inspections; you should check this for your state.

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Good information within these posts as I'm considering the non delete tuning.

Has anyone added a water methanol injection system on a tuned, non deleted system?

3. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Turn off the EGR. The EGR is worst thing for the motor. Without all the recirculating soot, your motor will run cleaner and should use less DEF.

5. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblebee View Post
    Good information within these posts as I'm considering the non delete tuning.

Has anyone added a water methanol injection system on a tuned, non deleted system?
    @Polaraco did water/meth I believe. Said it wasn't worth the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger6.7 View Post
    Turn off the EGR. The EGR is worst thing for the motor. Without all the recirculating soot, your motor will run cleaner and should use less DEF.
    You will use MORE DEF with EGR less tuning as the extra soot that would normally go through the EGR will now be going into the DPF...ergo filling faster & requiring more DEF to catalyze.

7. Thanks Polaraco, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Polaraco, watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

When the EGR is shut down there is a more complete burn thus causing more NOX gasses.

Its the more NOX gasses that cause a higher DEF usage.

2021 2500 68RFE..... I'll just keep the goodies a secret!!!

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    @watersupply189 used to have emission compliant tuning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepEmRollin14 View Post
    I’m actually working in this same thing.

I would say good advise can be viewed on DRD youtube video about the emissions intact tuning.

When you take away one thing just know that you have the potential to put more stress on the SCR and or use more DEF.

You still could benefit from trans tuning and a mild tow tune though which is what I’m testing on my truck, then moving to deletes.

Ill be posting more videos on my channel as I progress. I did have my 14’ deleted and ran it emissions intact for about 30k.

Runs way better without all that mess.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUa...3xLRZeEXF06wkw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    I had the emissions compliant tune for about a year on my truck. I never had any issues with it but I’ll tell you that you will go thru a tank of DEF about every 2,500 miles.
    I kept mine set at 60hp. When towing I dropped it down to 30hp.
    My stock clutch couldn’t handle anything over 90hp without it slipping some.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger6.7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    @Polaraco did water/meth I believe. Said it wasn't worth the hassle.

You will use MORE DEF with EGR less tuning as the extra soot that would normally go through the EGR will now be going into the DPF...ergo filling faster & requiring more DEF to catalyze.
    Yup. I did try it on my 08 when I was pioneering the EGR delete. As said, the EGR is the biggest issue. The EGR is supposed to reduce the combustion temps. I tried everything, including making a plumbing system that took the exhaust after the DPF. I just had to cool the hell out of it. I welded some fins on the pipe that ran forward to let the air traveling over the heatsink to do the job. The most successful thing was replacing the intercooler with the BD. (BTW The banks intercooler ran hotter) I reduced my intake air by 15-20 degrees. My emissions then exceeded the 09 spec. My Regen times were spread out considerably that way. Picked up on the by 2.

I did the meth thing several times. While I was trying to remain emissions compliant, I was also looking to get better economy. With the H & S Black Max on 160, I could get upwards to 19 MPG with 11K in tow on flats.

The meth was a total waste of time. It cost allot of money to accomplish nothing. They work better on gassers. Some brain surgeon on CF (the Dark Side) said he was getting all sorts of dramatic results. After investing 7 or 800 dollars, I found I got very slightly better EGT's with just water.

I spent thousands to come up with a compliant vehicle and improve my MPG. In the end, I went with my own instincts and stopped following someone else's ego trip.

The final truck had the enlarged BD intercooler, NO EGR or exhaust junk. The only smoke I got was when I punched it. It was slightly over on the CO. I yanked all the instrumentation, sold it and said, never again. Truck was a bear on wheels too. 10.4 1/4 mile.

The bottom line for both of you is, DON'T DO IT. Put your money into some tunes. LOL
    @F350Cummins 3 years old? It looks older than my 16 year old. LOL BTW, get your junk out of my garage. I'm trying to get this mess cleaned out. Took another 1200# to the scrap yard.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

11. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes RamIt, watersupply189, Power247, Tiger6.7 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Proper tuning is key.

13. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

OP this is exactly my plan in the near future. I will be going EGR "less" tuning from DRD with the MM3.

Check Ray out with DRD you will not be disappointed!

15. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

75K miles with Ray's EGR less with no issues

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

17. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12