Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  26
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help deciding

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Need some help deciding

Hey everyone, I finally sold my POS GMC Sierra 1500 and have to get back in a diesel. I've got roughly about 25k to spend in one. I'm looking to give Cummins a shot but wanted to ask the guru's.. Would you rather get a nice higher mileage (over 200k miles) and add a built tranny and tuning (and other things like head studs, fuel pump, etc..) or just go ahead and get a lower mileage one, knowing that I won't be able to do anything with it for a while? I won't be pulling MUCH (2 sisde by side 4 wheelers) and it won't be my DD. Its more of a 3rd car for my family around our farm. I will say that I'm in NC and freakin diesels are PRICEY, but I also have Revmax about 2 hours away. Let me know what ya think!

2. Thanks watersupply189, cumminsdieselfreak thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Need some help deciding

Quote Originally Posted by contenderv07 View Post
    Hey everyone, I finally sold my POS GMC Sierra 1500 and have to get back in a diesel. I've got roughly about 25k to spend in one. I'm looking to give Cummins a shot but wanted to ask the guru's.. Would you rather get a nice higher mileage (over 200k miles) and add a built tranny and tuning (and other things like head studs, fuel pump, etc..) or just go ahead and get a lower mileage one, knowing that I won't be able to do anything with it for a while? I won't be pulling MUCH (2 sisde by side 4 wheelers) and it won't be my DD. Its more of a 3rd car for my family around our farm. I will say that I'm in NC and freakin diesels are PRICEY, but I also have Revmax about 2 hours away. Let me know what ya think!
    I went the used route on mine because I like modifying my stuff and although I have a super understanding local dealer that does my recall and warranty stuff a lot are the opposite. I had a buddy whose GMC dealer tried to void his warranty over a 6 inch lift kit. Kinda depends on the Generation you prefer too. I wanted the rear coils for the ride plus I like the later model Laramie interiors. Plus, with a little performance modifications and the newer ones with the VGT really move. The 68RFE can be a weak link but-knock on wood- I haven’t had any trouble yet. Although I should start a fund for one because I’m eyeing turbo, injector, head studs in the near future. Plus, I priced an identically equipped 2019 2500 4x4- $79,000 sticker. LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by easttxram View Post
    I went the used route on mine because I like modifying my stuff and although I have a super understanding local dealer that does my recall and warranty stuff a lot are the opposite. I had a buddy whose GMC dealer tried to void his warranty over a 6 inch lift kit. Kinda depends on the Generation you prefer too. I wanted the rear coils for the ride plus I like the later model Laramie interiors. Plus, with a little performance modifications and the newer ones with the VGT really move. The 68RFE can be a weak link but-knock on wood- I haven’t had any trouble yet. Although I should start a fund for one because I’m eyeing turbo, injector, head studs in the near future. Plus, I priced an identically equipped 2019 2500 4x4- $79,000 sticker. LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

damn 79k..... yea I won't be able to get new at all... Just want to pay for all of it at once. I think with my budge, its gonna have to be 3rd gen, which is fine with me. I was more worried about mileage and the trans

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Used is always a good idea because you can get them much cheaper. Where are ya located? I am in the process of getting rid of mine possibly.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I'm in NC... whatever I get will be used, I think its more of how many miles .... Like I found a couple that have over 200k miles for about 16k. I could put my 25k towards that and a built trans, OR should I look at a used truck that has right at 100k miles but have no money for mods

9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I'm in NC... whatever I get will be used, I think its more of how many miles .... Like I found a couple that have over 200k miles for about 16k. I could put my 25k towards that and a built trans, OR should I look at a used truck that has right at 100k miles but have no money for mods
    If you're looking at 6.7 3rd gens I'd most certainly get a lower mileage truck. If at all possible I'd delete it and do the transmission later on when you get the money.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Likes watersupply189, contenderv07 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

This one looks pretty good on the outside, but I'll have to do some research on the mods he has.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

You are right, the price of diesels around here is ridiculous. As you can see, the 5.9s are even worse. If you have a little time you will see the price on the early 4th gens start to come down as the '19s become more available.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

14. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    You are right, the price of diesels around here is ridiculous. As you can see, the 5.9s are even worse. If you have a little time you will see the price on the early 4th gens start to come down as the '19s become more available.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310
    yea I like the one above, if he would answer my texts, but I might just get a higher mileage one, and use the extra money get a revmax trans or just get it rebuilt. I was hoping with the gas prices starting to creep up, people would be more willing to get rid of them

15. Thanks cumminsdieselfreak thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

yea I like the one above, if he would answer my texts, but I might just get a higher mileage one, and use the extra money get a revmax trans or just get it rebuilt. I was hoping with the gas prices starting to creep up, people would be more willing to get rid of them
    You should have been a diesel owner in 2008 when the fuel prices were $5.50+/gallon. Dealerships wouldn't even talk about taking trades on diesel. Keep looking and the right deal will pop up, if you settle you may just end up with a problem truck.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast