Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  36
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EGRLess - Questions

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: EGRLess - Questions

Quote Originally Posted by myfirstCTD View Post
    Hi Folks, I have done a lot of reading here and still have a lot of unanswered/uncertainties around some of the technology/benefits/cons in doing an EGRless Tuning (DRD will be my choice)

Stock SWR 2017 3500 68RFE with around 18,000 miles on it. I have a factory extended warranty on it until 2024/100,000 miles.

Questions:

1. Why is EGRLess tuning not for trucks with over 50,000 miles on it?
    - from what i read, it is because the half life of the exhaust parts (DPF, and Exhaust system) is already at 50% spent or more, and doing an EGRLess will put more soot into it and quickly kill the downstream components?
    - if that is true, then if i put a EGRLess on my truck now, then does that mean when I hit 50,000 miles i am at risk of... ??

2. I haul a 20 foot 16,000k trailer, and a 32 foot travel trailer, and i DD this truck. Towing at 30HP, (the recommendation) will I be hurting/killing my truck? I don't understand what implications are here with this..

3. Warranty - basically I am voiding my warranty?

I think that's it for now. Thanks so much for you patience.

Cheers
    Here is my two cents.

Yes EGRless is hard on the DPF if you try to hot rod around all the time on high settings.

Turning off the egr was cause less soot. The egr causes a less complete burn hence causing more soot. Without the egr you will have a more complete burn and less soot(when on low setting)

Now the more complete burn will cause more Nox gasses causing the higher use of DEF.

As for the 68RFE. If you keep you power settings down and don't beat on the truck the tranny will go 100k with no problems.

Like I said just my 2 cents from having several diesels and knowing the engineering that goes into the exhaust systems. These systems get even better in the coal industry. Haha

2021 2500 68RFE..... I'll just keep the goodies a secret!!!

2. Thanks Power247, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, allbizns, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Agreed, because the EPA standards, RAM had to strangle the exhaust.

Your much much better off putting a delete pipe on for the sake of engine longevity.That goes double if you plan to go above stock power levels.

More fuel=more exhaust flow and that will cause big issues with the restrictive cans on the exhaust. As for the 68RFE, 2007.5 to 11 were weak (junk), 11.5 HO up had heavy duty upgrades like billet torque converter and hardened input shaft ect to beef them up.

The newer ones, 11.5 & up are plenty stout for stock and mildly modified trucks. Aisin is stronger but requires twice the maintenance (fluid change intervals) as the 68RFE.

Aisin's AS69RC requires fluid changes at 30,000 mile intervals and fluid + filter replacement at 60,000 mile intervals.

Chrysler recommends replacing the transmission fluid and filters at 120,000 miles under normal service conditions and at 60,000 mile intervals under "severe" service conditions.

4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Thank you all for the great information.

This is everything I am/was looking for.

PS: I have a new sticker for my Tool Box now.

5. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12